The Demise of Jack Tar......

Discussion in 'Diamond Lil's' started by Izza77, Jul 25, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. The Demise of Jack Tar......

The traditional male sailor was not defined by his looks. He was defined by his attitude; his name was Jack Tar. He was a happy go lucky sort of a bloke; he took the good times with the bad.
    He didnt cry victimisation, bastardisation, discrimination or for his mum when things didnt go his way.
    He took responsibility for his own, sometimes, self-destructive actions.

He loved a laugh at anything or anybody. Rank, gender, race, creed or behaviour, it didnt matter to Jack, he would take the piss out of anyone, including himself. If someone took it out of him he didnt get offended; it was a natural part of life. If he offended someone else, so be it. Free from many of the rules of polite society, Jacks manners were somewhat rough. His ability to swear was legendary.

He would stand up for his mates. Jack was extravagant with his support to those he thought needed it. He may have been right or wrong, but that didnt matter. Jacks mate was one of the luckiest people alive.

Jack loved women. He loved to chase them to the ends of the earth and sometimes he even caught one. (Less often than he would have you believe though) His tales of the chase and its conclusion win or lose, is the stuff of legends.

Jacks favourite drink was beer, and he could drink it like a fish. His actions when inebriated would, on occasion, land him in trouble. But, he took it on the chin, did his punishment and then went and did it all again.

Jack loved his job. He took an immense pride in what he did. His radar was always the best in the fleet. His engines always worked better than anyone elses. His eyes could spot a contact before anyone elses and shoot at it first. It was a matter of personal pride. Jack was the consummate professional when he was at work and sober.

He was a bit like a mischievous child. He had a gleam in his eye and a larger than life outlook.
    He was as rough as guts. You had to be pig headed and thick skinned to survive. He worked hard and played hard. His masters tut-tutted at some of his more exuberant expressions of joie de vivre, and the occasional bout of number 9s or stoppage of leave let him know where his limits were.

The late 20th Century and on, has seen the demise of Jack. The workplace no longer echoes with ribald comment and bawdy tales. Someone is sure to take offence. Where as, those stories of daring do and ingenuity in the face of adversity, usually whilst pissed, lack the audacity of the past.

A wicked sense of humour is now a liability, rather than a necessity. Jack has been socially engineered out of existence. What was once normal is now offensive. Denting someone elses over inflated opinion of their own self worth is now a crime.

And so a culture dies

2. Sign of the times we live in. Can't say I am entirely unhappy about some of the changes we have seen. We are more tolerant in so far as we no longer beat people up psychologically for mistakes or not knowing something and work towards filling the gaps and improving levels of skill (obviously there are limits). We also promote healthier life-styles with less drinking and smoking and more fitness.

SF

3. I just cut and pasted that from a e-mail that is doing the rounds, not enitirely my words

I do, however, agree with you to a degree mate, but some changes are a bit overly sensitive (which is indeed a sign of times, as you say)

4. Apologies Izza - I didn't mean to give the impression that I was disagreeing with you entirely. Your point is valid. The whole touchy-feeley-fluffy brigade are responsible for eroding much of who and what we are and if left unchecked we could end up as a coastal / tourist outfit who rescue whales and give rides to illegal immigrants who can't be bothered to sneak in.

SF

5. Some of us try to keep the best of good old Tar alive and balls to the pink and fluffy duffers. There are still a few lanterns swinging and bollards to be pulled up for a good dit spinning

6. Izza, the quote is taken from the welcome page of another site

http://www.exnavyoppos.com/forum/index.php

and is accredited to a member called 'flumpmallet', not sure if he is the original author but i would like to think so.

It has also been used in two other threads on RR

http://www.rumration.co.uk/cpgn2/Forums/viewtopic/t=5240/highlight=flumpmallet.html

and

http://www.rumration.co.uk/cpgn2/Fo...order=asc/highlight=flumpmallet/start=90.html

its nice to see it is doing the rounds, as although IMHO it is not entirely accurate it is getting there

7. It was certainly doing the rounds in 2000 when I posted it on the Ganges site having seen it on a Oz site. I think the origional author if it was written in that form first time has been lost in the mists of time.

Feck the modern all is well and we are more enlightened than you old farts PC brigade. Like the rest of UK PLC it is a slow but inexorable spiral downwards of standards and responsibility.

Nutty

8. Great piece. This is the first time I've seen it and it does articulate my own feelings of what I have seen. In what remains of my own Branch, there are no "characters".
    If that is progress, I'm glad I'm out.

Nutty wrote
    Now I am getting worried, first I found agreement with Finks, and now Nutty!
    :wtf:
    Shows you what a broad church we are, us ex matelots eh?
    RoofRat

9. Know what you mean roofrat, its not often I agree with the Fink, it is very worrying

10. Much of that applies to Servicemen as a whole. The last line is interesting, since when is it offence to call a tosser a tosser? Being extremely diplomatic I still voice my opinion of O2 thieves, gash hands etc.

11. Theres one here!

12. Good on you shippers :thumright: , glad to hear someones still keeping the good old traditions of beer,women and song going, your probrbly a rare sight theses days

13. cheers shippers and God Bless the Andrew. you'll find me on the AX with me bollard straight after Harry Sundowners

14. Remaining there til "Sun uppers" I hope!!

15. Whilst there still may be the odd genuine Jack Tar in the RN the species in my opinion started to die out in the 60s as the 3 badge ABs and Stokers dissapeared. Yes the old wizened Chiefs were the repository of the proper Andrew stuff, but the 3 badger was the Jack Tar. He even in the late 60s still went ashore in his best blue suit, either to exercise his chat up lines or to get as many free bears as possible on blank week. The salt of the earth and some one I learnt as a young Snotty was as important to pay attention to as any of the chiefs.

16. 3 badge ABs and Stokers ?????????? What about the 3 badge Pinkie as I wuz!!??.. only pissing about mate, agree with you all the way. :thumright:

17. Sorry if I left your branch out but I never met one, all seemed to be youthful thrusting promotion seekers.

18. I went wrong somewhere!

19. Having to much fun being Jack Tar methinks.

20. Ah happy days.