The debt adviser sacked for saving suicidal woman

Discussion in 'Diamond Lil's' started by slim, Apr 29, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Sack the boss and give her his job.

2. Absoluteley ridiculous - be paramount in saving a life and lose your job over it! Says it all about the state of this country.
    Hope she has a good solicitor and takes the company for every penny and that her boss is sacked and she regains her position.
    On the other hand it may well be "breach of confidentiality" - how would you choose?
    I would choose to try and save a life and trust to common sense prevailing. This lady should have been congratulated and the company could have had a great PR story.

3. Whilst I share the general sentiments here about this lady's treatment, having been a Hon.Secretary of a charity in my spare time and been responsible for compliance with the Data Protection Acts, I can see the other side as well. Although the suicidal woman apparently gave oral permission over the phone, had she later contested doing do, criminal proceedings could have been taken against the CAB for illegal disclosure of data. Normally the data subject has to give permission in writing or via the internet.

4. Says it all when her boss would sooner go to the management for consultation and possibly let the desperate caller die than save a life. Hope to god he is never in that position.....

Managers Quote "I would have then phoned the National Citizens' Advice management line and we would have discussed the way forward."

Press 1 for help with difficult caller
    Press 2 for suspect suicidal caller
    Press 3 to have your head removed from your arse

Its ridiculous that instead of doing the obvious this guy is so devoted to red tape that he would sooner a person die than help them, how can he seriously be in charge of an advice centre that would advise its callers to die while they discuss the issue......

5. Even if she hadn't had verbal permission to call the GP she was morally right to do it. Save of life or save her job?

And lets not forget her previous five years of good service. Surely one breach of the rules should warrant a formal warning and not dismissal?

SF

6. Hopefully someone more knowledgeable than me can answer this one.

If a client told you over the phone that he was going to commit a crime (rob a bank for instance) would this information be covered by the data protection act? or would you be legally bound to do something to prevent the crime?

If you should try to prevent the crime from happening, then the debt advisor did the right thing, as I believe attempted suicide is still a criminal offence in England.

7. Alternatively wait till they rob the bank, advise Crimestoppers and collect the reward :twisted:

8. :oops: should have though of that :oops:

9. I have just started a new job in a similar kind of role- although not identical- and if one of my clients/ customers was acting in that vein i'm damn sure i'd respond the same way - stuff my boss!!!!!!!!!!