Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The debt adviser sacked for saving suicidal woman

Absoluteley ridiculous - be paramount in saving a life and lose your job over it! Says it all about the state of this country.
Hope she has a good solicitor and takes the company for every penny and that her boss is sacked and she regains her position.
On the other hand it may well be "breach of confidentiality" - how would you choose?
I would choose to try and save a life and trust to common sense prevailing. This lady should have been congratulated and the company could have had a great PR story.

Whilst I share the general sentiments here about this lady's treatment, having been a Hon.Secretary of a charity in my spare time and been responsible for compliance with the Data Protection Acts, I can see the other side as well. Although the suicidal woman apparently gave oral permission over the phone, had she later contested doing do, criminal proceedings could have been taken against the CAB for illegal disclosure of data. Normally the data subject has to give permission in writing or via the internet.

ukdaytona

War Hero
Says it all when her boss would sooner go to the management for consultation and possibly let the desperate caller die than save a life. Hope to god he is never in that position.....

Managers Quote "I would have then phoned the National Citizens' Advice management line and we would have discussed the way forward."

Press 1 for help with difficult caller
Press 2 for suspect suicidal caller
Press 3 to have your head removed from your arse

Its ridiculous that instead of doing the obvious this guy is so devoted to red tape that he would sooner a person die than help them, how can he seriously be in charge of an advice centre that would advise its callers to die while they discuss the issue......

SILVER_FOX

War Hero
Even if she hadn't had verbal permission to call the GP she was morally right to do it. Save of life or save her job?

And lets not forget her previous five years of good service. Surely one breach of the rules should warrant a formal warning and not dismissal?

SF

mikh

MIA
Hopefully someone more knowledgeable than me can answer this one.

If a client told you over the phone that he was going to commit a crime (rob a bank for instance) would this information be covered by the data protection act? or would you be legally bound to do something to prevent the crime?

If you should try to prevent the crime from happening, then the debt advisor did the right thing, as I believe attempted suicide is still a criminal offence in England.

ukdaytona

War Hero
mikh said:
Hopefully someone more knowledgeable than me can answer this one.

If a client told you over the phone that he was going to commit a crime (rob a bank for instance) would this information be covered by the data protection act? or would you be legally bound to do something to prevent the crime?

If you should try to prevent the crime from happening, then the debt advisor did the right thing, as I believe attempted suicide is still a criminal offence in England.

Alternatively wait till they rob the bank, advise Crimestoppers and collect the reward :twisted:

I have just started a new job in a similar kind of role- although not identical- and if one of my clients/ customers was acting in that vein i'm damn sure i'd respond the same way - stuff my boss!!!!!!!!!!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
MoD_RSS New debt letters rules will support people in problem debt MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Civil news: tender opportunity for housing and debt work MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Almost £38 million support package for debt advice providers helping people affected by Coronavirus MoD News 0
M Security Checks and Debt Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 2
MoD_RSS HM Treasury announces revision to the UK Debt Management Office’s financing remit 2020-21 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UKEF guidance for creditors on temporary suspension of debt service repayments MoD News 0
MoD_RSS NHS to benefit from £13.4 billion debt write-off MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Courts wind-up debt collection company MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Breathing Space to help millions in debt MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Civil news: housing and debt telephone advice services tender MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Civil news: housing and debt and HPCDS tenders open MoD News 0
MoD_RSS University of Liverpool changes student debt penalty policy MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Debt bosses’ failings lead to £7.6 million shortfall in funds MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Individuals to be protected from 'devastating impact' of problem debt MoD News 0
D Security clearance debt Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
MoD_RSS Press release: Government pledges to improve the way Council Tax debt is recovered MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: £2.3 billion debt relief granted in 10 years of DROs MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Civil news: tenders open for housing and debt services MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Civil news: tenders open for housing and debt and HPCDS MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Insolvency Service grants 250,000 Debt Relief Order MoD News 0
K Will debt stop me from passing the security clearance? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
NateDogg Help with possible debt problem please? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 15
perrym Would you like a Debt Free BEng (Hons) Degree from the Submarine Service whilst earning a wage? Submariners 0
perrym Would you like a Debt Free BEng (Hons) Degree from the Submarine Service whilst earning a wage? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 8
C Will debt stop me joining???? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 13
D Debt Collectors The Quarterdeck 14
D Will debt affect my application Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
trelawney126 The Debt we owe Libya. Diamond Lil's 1
M Debt help Finance & Pensions 10
M Will debt effect my rn appliacation??? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 19
T Joining with Debt Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 12
D Debt Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 38
M bad debt Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 42
S Debt Management Finance & Pensions 18
golden_rivet prisoners of debt Current Affairs 13
B ARE YOU IN DEBT The Corps 2
MoD_RSS FGM campaigner Nimco Ali appointed as Tackling Violence Against Women and Girls adviser MoD News 0
MoD_RSS New recruitment campaign for Windrush independent adviser MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Chief Scientific Adviser's Sunday Telegraph article: 31 May 2020 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Meet RWM's Chief Scientific Adviser MoD News 0
MoD_RSS New Grenfell adviser appointed as final Grenfell Taskforce report published MoD News 0
MoD_RSS North London Immigration Adviser banned indefinitely. MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Unqualified Bolton Immigration Adviser given Community Order. MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Dame Judith Hackitt named as government adviser on the new Building Safety Regulator MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Dr David Halpern reappointed as the What Works National Adviser MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Faith Engagement Adviser appointed MoD News 0
MoD_RSS John Mann appointed as independent adviser on antisemitism MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Government appoints first National Adviser for LGBT Health MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Government Chief Science Adviser, Sir Patrick Vallance pays tribute to Professor Lord Bhattacharyya MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Unqualified Immigration Adviser Receives Suspended Sentence MoD News 0