The Cruel Sea

Discussion in 'Films, Music, TV & All Things Artsy' started by Seaweed, Feb 2, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Seaweed

Seaweed War Hero Book Reviewer

1305 tomorrow Tuesday on Channel 4.

2. Snorkers good 'O

3. "It's just the war......the whole bloody war!! Ping-ah, ping-ah.

4. And at my place, on DVD, any time you like.

To make bookings, call 0800-ANCHOR-FACED-TWAT.

Dont call tomorrow afternoon, cos there is something about watching it "live".

5. And don't forget the fully inflated lifejackets.

6. Watch it ? I thought most of you old farts were in it!

7. Yes we were! Everything was so black and white in those days.

2BM

8. Ah the good old days when the ships were torpedoed from beneath you,

Todays ships just seem to run aground for no reason :wink:

9. More like sepia! :lol:

10. I recommend a book......The Real Cruel Sea by Capt. Richard Woodman MN..............A history of The MN in WW2

11. Oi! Don't be cheeky to your elders young man! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Seriously though, the film is good and portrays a lot of the book quite faithfully, but you can't beat Monsarrat's original prose, particularly the "Dead Helmsman", "Bombed Ship", and "Captain's meeting", little anecdotes that bring a tear to the eye, and make you wonder how these people managed to force themselves back to sea again after each brief period in harbour for four, five, six years without cracking up.
    I quite often read a chapter or two before going to sleep and although I've had my well thumbed copy since 1953 I never tire of reading it.

2BM

12. Capt Jeffries put the Euryalus to action stations cos he was given snorkers for brekkie. (Circa 86)

He couldn't have seen 'Cruel Sea.' :lol: :lol:

13. "I'm the First Lieutenant, I do all the work around here, and dont you forget it!"

A second hamd car salesman.... :lol:

14. Whilst watching the definative naval film, I shall wrap a towel around my neck, put on my genuine pussers oilskin, and get my missus to throw buckets of oggin over me, whilst trying to slurp a mug of kai !!

15. Were'nt they solid? made from cork/kapok and guarateed to break yer neck if you jumped over wear one? And ye couldn't swim to get away from a sinking ship.

PS and like that joke photo on RR of the black guy wearing one as a bullet -proof vest, they were eff-all use aginst being machine gunned in the water

16. I wish I could remember how many fire extinguishers were onboard.

I suppose I'll just have to wait 'til this afternoon....

17. That's a cracking book...my granddad was in the Merchant Navy 'during the war' (TM Uncle Albert!) and it really was an eye-opener.

18. K49 flying the battle ensign :D :D " Whats it like down below Coxswain". "Right Pot Mess sir. "Captain" 2 and a half, wavy navy rest Subbys, after the Jimmy left 8) 8) :wink:

19. At work but i have set the DVD Recorder , top ho . brilliant film

20. Love it , pmsl :cheers: