The Cruel Sea Again

Discussion in 'Films, Music, TV & All Things Artsy' started by seafarer1939, Jan 5, 2012.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I watch it every time it comes on the box,as now,!Got to say "Sink the Bismark" was good as was "In Which we Serve" but I think this was the best of the RN Films although "Battle of the River Plate" is in there.
    Been done hundred times I reckon but I still like this film,a lot!
    Jack Hawkins was superb.
    What Corvette was used in the film?shot 4 years before my joining I may have seen it in Chatham or Pompey.
  2. Got it recording on Sky + at the minute. Got me wanting to find some overalls, anti flash and blow my life jacket up!
  3. Great film.Think someone said it was Oxslip. Watch out for the slight technical error when hes dropping the hook near the end. :)
  4. HMS Compass Rose was 'played' by HMS Coreopsis and HMS Saltash Castle by HMS Portchester Castle.
  5. And the shot where the Depth charge clearly has stenciled on it "inert Filling" quite early on!

Still love it the film, been waiting ages to see it!
  6. I reckon we`d have lost WWII if we didn`t have Kenneth More and Richard Attenborough on our side.
  7. The films a classic but the book by Nicholas Monserrat is brilliant. Well worth a read.
  8. I stand corrected :)
  9. Also wrote 'Three corvettes' Another very good book.
  10. The Portchester Castle is probably right but I thought they had to ask the Irish Navy to borrow a corvette for the Compass Rose .
    Most of the Flower Class ships were sold /scrapped when Cruel Sea was filmed .
    Superb film with excellent actors and cast.

11. Just watched the trailer on YouTube.

I must watch this film.
  12. Yep, another great film

preceded by Tobruk and this afternoon it is Tora Tora Tora

Channel 4 seem to be doing a WW2 'season' at the moment

its a pity that none of Douglas Reeman books were not turned into films
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2012
  13. Seaweed

Seaweed War Hero Book Reviewer

I always see Monsarrat's book as not just a superb novel but also a memorial.
  14. silverfox

silverfox War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

The ship was the ex HMS Coreopsis which had been sold to the Greek Navy and renamed KRIEZIS. She was being scrapped when the film was being made , so they borrowed her to play the part of Compass Rose.

Incidentally the pennant number K 49 was picked at random, but actually belonged to HMS Crocus.

Soleil, your Google standards are slipping.......
    • Like Like x 1
  15. P22.jpg The Irish built a PV in the 1970s based on the flower class design.You can see the same lines in them. P21.jpg
  16. "Hands to station for leaving harbour... special sea duty men close up!"

"Snorkers... good-oh!"

Yes, I've watched it more than once. :)

What's the 'slight technical error' when they anchor at the end? Ringing off main engines before they'd laid enough cable out?
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2012
  17. While since i'v seen It TCC,but i think that, and he let go before giving the order for slow astern.
  18. I think you've forgotten "You murdering Bastard" or something like that when he blew the men up in the water,I seem to remember reading it was based on a true story.
    Don't think any ones feet would have touched the floor shouting to a skipper like that for whatever reason but it makes good cinema
  19. Cracking film, never get tired of watching it.

"Bloody murderer" is the line I think.