The crew of HMS Lusty let their hair down

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by 5dits, May 27, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. daily mail

Seems like queenie picked the wrong day for a run ashore!

2. And the problem was???

seemed like a normal run ashore to me.

3. A bloody disgrace and the day after HM was onboard, no wonder many other cultures look upon us as a bunch of moral degenerates.

4. wave_dodger

wave_dodger War Hero Book Reviewer

Great journalism "Navel Officers" and the "HMS Queen Elizabeth", that was a quick build, the contracts not even been sign! British shipbuilding at its best!

In all seriousness though we should know better, the press are always ready to portray us in a bad light and the crew should have had a better brief Istanbul is not that tolerant.

There is a time and a place.

5. Have to agree with your there Finknottle. The Scots were always a bad lot that let us down and disgraced the Union Flag.

Nutty

6. Without wishing to stick up for them and all that, but I can remember some Turkish lads stabbing to death two football fans back in 2000. So I think dressing up as women and having a few beers pales into utter insignificance with that sort of behaviour.

Of course, those of us who have been ashore before this lot were always so well behaved and stuck to normal routines and orange juice eh? ;-)

Another load of clap from the Daily Wail.

7. The turks in general dont seem to have much respect for our culture. And cause plenty of problems in nightclubs all over england.
    So as far as im concerened good on that crew and the turks can either stop moaning or poke it up there arse.

8. Perhaps these days a Tea Dance would be the order of the day.

9. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Danny: I'm a little concerned by the inverted racist tone of your sweeping statement... 8O

10. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

So bit of a non-story then..? If the papers published a story every time a matelot went ashore and got pissed, there'd be no room/time to report real news... :roll:

11. Maybe i didnt make my self clear. sorry.

Will try and explain myself.

A large proportion of not only turks but other ethnic groups come to this country and pay absalutly no respect to our culture.
    So why should we care if we offended them in there own country?
    And it is my personal experience that turks are not very well behaved around town.

I am not racist at all. This was just my experiences. I have good friends from all over the world. Fiji, st vincent, south africa, trinidad and loads more.

I also note that the turks that lived in this place where the crew was were so disgusted that they stoped selling them beer and taking there money off them.... o wait.

12. well he would say that wouldnt he!! :thumright: good old Johnny Motson :salut:

13. Which, crap reporting from the DM or matelots going ashore and drinking ;) Stokers and marines cross dressing, gods that's novel... wonder what made them think of doing that.

Anyway, I assume you never went ashore and got p!ssed when you were in?

Two days after would have been acceptable then? I'm really not sure what the point is there.

Well the state of British culture is a whole different debate ;)

But on a more significant point, although it's difficult to tell how many individuals were alleged to have been involved in this scandalous behaviour, one wonders how standards of dress were monitored going ashore. In other Muslim countries I've generally seen guidance on acceptable dress ashore and seen people prevented from going ashore if not up to standard. That didn't stop them changing when ashore, which may have happened.

As WD identifies, there is a time and a place.

14. This is the big difference between people coming in to our country, and ourselves going to their countries. We have a tendency, well most of us anyway, to agree with the term, "When in Rome" and all that.

During my service time, we were always reminded that we were ambassadors for teh Royal Navy, and for the UK.

I can remember one time in Greece when 2 or 3 matelots from the Norfolk I believe ripped down the Greek Flag of the town hall in Athens. A big no no in Greece. These lads were charged, and sentenced, and for a very long time, the MoD and the Navy could do nothing, and I mean a long time.

I enjoyed my runs ashore, just like the next lad. Pissy Kacky all fall down, Gizzit Run, Phots Run and all that, whatever, we abided by the rules of the nation we were visiting, and woe betide those who did not.

Regards, Chris

15. A non-story , yep , had a few runs like that myself many moons ago . :rambo:

16. Firstly, if you read the mail you are clearly a tit.

Secondly, as Dondon said, that's a non-story, no-one was stabbed or beaten to death, no bars were smashed up just Matelots getting pissed.

Thirdly, I'd like to nail the Doris in the first picture (The one bending over not the one in the leopard skin).

Typical Daily Mail shoite. next!

17. silverfox

silverfox War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

from the look in her eye, I doubt if you'd be the first........

18. totaly agree with your above/ remember visiting Cape Town 68 on the hermes/ when aparthied was in full swing /it was cruel it was wrong / we were angry/ the coloured lads on board your oppos couldnt go ashore with you" district 6" the Skipper told us not to get into any aurguements re /politics/religion / keep your lips zipped etc / get pissed/ but make sure your oppo gets you back onboard safely which we did. We respected the skipper :thumright:

19. As pointed out in an earlier post, 'when in Rome'. These gutter antics should be saved for the UK, we are used to it here. The young woman going through the motions of 'taking it up the back' makes herself out to be nothing more than a common slut.

The CO must be lacking any common dog in allowing members of his crew ashore dressed as they were in a Muslim country, albeit a more relaxed one.

By god I am well out of it, wild runs we had but respect was always shown to the locals and their culture. This is just another example of the lack of respect and moral decline that has invaded our society.

20. BZ finknottle :thumright:

I wonder where the OOD was when this lot went ashore ? And where were the crushers and shore patrol when they were ashore?
    No doubt this skipper will get a "well deserved gong", and a promotion after departing command later - as all carrier skippers seemed to get ??

:(