The Choice of Jerusalem sang at a Funeral

Discussion in 'Films, Music, TV & All Things Artsy' started by scouse, Nov 8, 2011.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. After the funeral at the reception , the Vic said he didnt like the choice of Jurusalem being sung as a hymn !!!! Surely he is wrong ??? maybe he has issues about William Blake words ??? Cant be about Sir Hubert Parry music!!!

2. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Doubtless the bish is entitled to his/her opinion.

Presumably didn't say it was shite whilst doing his hired MC bit. (may he be praised)

3. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

Hold the event at the Crem. you can have what you want there, "Great balls of fire" and "Like a bat out of hell" being two of the favourites as the curtains close.

4. Already been done at the Crem!!!!!

5. Ninja_Stoker

6. I have heard of this happening before:

Cathedral bans popular hymn Jerusalem - Telegraph

7. Bish obviously has the wrong hymn book. "Hymns Ancient & Modern" Standard revised" ... available at all good retailers (although other Hymn Books are available) ... and what was used for donkeys on Pussers War Canoes e.g. Standard Nato Issue ... Hymn No 578 ... And did those feet in ancient times ... etc. - Googled it! You don't expect me to know that crap do you????

8. Ninja_Stoker

It's not so much to do with it being a hymn it seems, but whether it is celebrating the Glory of God .

Personally I always liked the matelot version of "There is a Green Hill" which, after the last line of the first verse, was rounded-off with a 'Two, Three, Four'..."For he's a jolly good fellow".

9. Always makes me annoyed that the God Botherers always have to get in on the act anyway ... Can't have a funeral without some Bish turning up and putting his 5 pennyworth in on the assumption that even if the deceased was a devout athiest / agnostic they were going to get a good christian send off and grease the skids just in case the pearly gates actually do exist! And then they have the neck to charge you for the priviledge! At the end of the day its up to the family / deceased what music is played at the funeral - most are actually termed a celabration of life.

Perhaps that would be a good thread - What Music would be played at your funeral?

10. Ninja_Stoker

11. Top it off with "I vow to thee my Country", "Onward Christian Soldiers", National Anthem (and if your really mischevous and not a Jock the bit about Marshall Wade... rebellious Scots to crush) and "Will your anchor hold". Nos 1s Medals, VD scar and bar outside, tot at the graveside, National Anthem, hurrah.

12. Ageing_Gracefully

Ageing_Gracefully War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Jerusalem is none too popular with the Church of Scotland either!!! :)

13. Seaweed

Seaweed War Hero Book Reviewer

The irony is that these under-educated, ignorant and stupid churchmen don't understand what a Lefty William Blake was and how 'Jerusalem' is a crack against the human consequences of the Industrial Revolution. They are the same cast of luddite dolts that are backing the sit-in that shut St Paul's.