The career of a royal navy pilot.

Hi there everyone!

I am posting on this page because I am hoping I can get some answers to all the questions I have. Currently my boyfriend is almost at the end of his officer training and is hoping to become a pilot. From what he has explained he still has a number of years of training to go before he completes his training to become a pilot and I understand also that he will have the choice of either helicopter pilot or fast jet pilot.

If someone could please answer the following questions for me that would be great...
1. Will it be chosen FOR him if he becomes a helicopter pilot or fast jet pilot or does he have some say? For example, if they say to him you can become a fast jet pilot can he turn it down and say he wants to fly helicopters?

2. What is the difference in the jobs of the helicopter/fast jet pilots?

3. I heared that fast jet pilots are away longer than helicopter pilots.... is this true? What is the difference in these two roles?

4. The new air craft carrier is coming is a few years time along with the new F35's. How would this affect what he will end up doing. Could he be away for a long time because he will finish his training around the same time as these things coming?

G

guestm

Hi there everyone!

I am posting on this page because I am hoping I can get some answers to all the questions I have. Currently my boyfriend is almost at the end of his officer training and is hoping to become a pilot. From what he has explained he still has a number of years of training to go before he completes his training to become a pilot and I understand also that he will have the choice of either helicopter pilot or fast jet pilot.

If someone could please answer the following questions for me that would be great...
1. Will it be chosen FOR him if he becomes a helicopter pilot or fast jet pilot or does he have some say? For example, if they say to him you can become a fast jet pilot can he turn it down and say he wants to fly helicopters?
He can express a desire to fly the F35 but there are a wide range of hurdles and factors to overcome for that to become a reality. It would be incredibly rare anyone would want to turn F35 down. The decision to fly F35 is in essence made for him.

2. What is the difference in the jobs of the helicopter/fast jet pilots?
One flies choppy chops and the over flies zoomy zooms.

3. I heared that fast jet pilots are away longer than helicopter pilots.... is this true? What is the difference in these two roles?
More often, perhaps. Longer? No. Fast Jet crews are (or will be) rarely away longer than 3 months at a time. RW can be much, much longer. Depends on squadron and current operations. In the early years there may well be extended periods over the pond, but once normal service is resumed, see previous.

4. The new air craft carrier is coming is a few years time along with the new F35's. How would this affect what he will end up doing. Could he be away for a long time because he will finish his training around the same time as these things coming?
All depends on whether he gets through the pipeline or not. If he doesn't, it won't make a difference at all other than he won't be allowed in the F35 complex on QE when he's flying Merlin. If he makes it, expect a high tempo as crews qualify and capability is proven. It will be a busy time.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think your boyfriend will know the answers to these questions and think it would be a good idea to discuss your concerns with him. If he doesn't know the answers then (a)he needs to buck his ideas up and do some research (b)having done the research he can then share his wealth of informations and (c)either he, or you, can use the search function in this site because these questions have previously been asked and answered.

if they say to him you can become a fast jet pilot can he turn it down and say he wants to fly helicopters?
.....I did like that, though :D

@Debbie0.2 @Pontius has spoken, an experienced pilot, you may have noticed I sent him note to post if he is was around, you have to give people chance to give answers. You need to sit down with your chap and have a chat, he either knows and hasn't told you or needs a kick *********** he could be so involved with the I need to pass all exams or I don't fly anything stage of his career, he does not know what is on offer yet.