The Book Club

Discussion in 'The Book Club' started by Ageing_Gracefully, Jan 12, 2011.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ageing_Gracefully

Ageing_Gracefully War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Bad CO has been kind enough to set up a separate Book Club for Rear Party and I hope that this will become as useful as the Book Club on ARRSE. The only way for that to happen is for you guys to use it and actively post here.

Over the next few days I will be putting more reviews into the actual book review section. This is quite important as from here there will be links enabling you to buy any books that take your fancy. It is also the area in which publishers will be dropping in to see how RR are treating their books.

One way to keep this alive is to comment on the reviews as they are published, especially if you have read the book or have some knowledge which would assist the discussion.

I am still looking for people to become involved in reviewing (have a look here). I also would like people to let me know what books you think should be reviewed and I will try the publisher and see if we can get them.

If there are any books you have read which you feel would be of interest to RR then please start a thread in this forum and post your review. Have a look at some of the other reviews and see what the layout is like. The main thing is to give your honest opinion and a review which will enable someone who has not read it decide if it is for the. Once you have posted the review I can take from there.

Any queries, drop a post in this forum and I will see what I can do.

A-G

2. Ageing_Gracefully

I have not had much of a response to this thread or to the one I started previously - here. However, that may be due to the fact that I have not had any books to offer up. Well these are starting to come in and I have a couple below; if you feel you would like to take part and review one then PM me and I will take from there.

I have a couple of RR members who have produced excellent reviews, initially through ARRSE but having been published here on RR have attracted quite a few hits. So the people I already have, and I sincerely hope will carry on are:

Seaweed
    granny
    Wave_Dodger

We have had a couple of great ad-hoc reviews from:
    Blackrat (who has agreed to take on reviews)
    Naval_Gazer who I hope will continue to let us know of good books he comes across

One person has asked to become a review and I welcome this:
    jockpopeye

The books I currently have for review are:
    A Century of Sea Travel (self explanatory)
    Bomb Alley (Falklands Islands conflict)

jockpopeye has first dibs and I am waiting his PM to let me know which. if any, he would like; anyone wanting to have a go at reviewing the other - then PM me.

I will have more books for review over the next couple of weeks so if you can get your name to me now then I will know the capacity the site will have for reviewing.

If anyone has any queries, drop me a PM and I will try to help out.

This is a great way to give something back to the site and on top of that you get a free book. All I would ask is that if you take on a review that you actually complete it and that whatever you say is your honest opinion. Beyond that is completely up to you.

Cheers

A-G

3. Blackrat

Blackrat War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

I'm up for having a shufti at Bomb Alley if no-one else wants to. I'm about to start "Above all. Courage" by Max Arthur (Also about the Falklands) so i'll do that one when i've finished it.

4. wave_dodger

wave_dodger War Hero Book Reviewer

Afternoon, happy to have a butchers at either, the Falklands one would be my preference by BlackRat beat me there!

Meant to add, following "The Pacific", I've just read two books written by Marines who were characters in that book Sledge (With the old breed) & Leckie (Helmet for my pillow). Great reads, I image the Sledge book, in particular, is a named text at Quantico.

WD

Last edited: Jan 21, 2011
  5. Blackrat

Mate. You crack on. You take preference. I'll review the Max Arthur one. There will be other books.

6. wave_dodger

wave_dodger War Hero Book Reviewer

Very kind, A-G can make the call. Either one will save me from the drivel my wife gave me for Crimbo (The girl with the tattoo of my little pony on her left cankle) - inpenetrable, just cannot get into it.

7. Blackrat

It's all yours W_D. I bow down.

8. Ageing_Gracefully

quick update. I have reviewers for the books plus an additional one - see below. Thanks to those who came back and offered to review books for the site. There is still room for more reviewers so PM me if interested.

I am keen to get this site up and running and one of the best ways of doing that is for you to tell me what books you would like reviewed. If you see or know of a book which will be of interest to the site then let me know the title, author and if possible publisher and I will see if I can get it. It is your site, let's see what you want.

I have allocated this first lot of books to:

Century of Sea Travel - jockpopeye
    Bomb Alley - Wave Dodger
    Flying the Red Duster - Seaweed

If you guys have not received them in about a week, let me know.

9. Seaweed

Seaweed War Hero Book Reviewer

Looking fwd to Red Duster.

10. If you ment @The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo' I loved it and the other two. Even the DVD. For those that have not read them, read them in order. For those that have, and know that Stieg Larrsen is dead and there will (probably - Google it!) be no more, I can also commend the Jo Nesbo books. They are in a similar vein.

Military wise , just read recently:
    Four weeks in May
    The Behary VC story
    Vulcan
    3 Para

All very good.

But you can't beat Lee Childs. Or Kathy Reichs. Or Jeffrey Deaver. Or.......

• Like Like x 1
  11. Ageing_Gracefully

Blackrat has not missed out - he has Arrow of Fury so another review to look out for.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.