The Bloody Crabs

RAF Smellydon?naw, Horneydon? Bigandmasculinedon ?.........I know lets call it Gaydon.

" I say chaps , what a spiffing name ,suits us to a T "

OK girls and boys, sit up straight and listen in. Please, hold your questions until I'm finished. Answers will be provided based upon the quality of the question. This will be a little long so you chaps with short attentions spans can take rests...

Chieftiff:

1. I recognise a wind up when I see it
This is why they made you a Mod huh... ;) I'll admit that there was a certain amount of that going on but, not in this post I'm afraid. I'm going to give an honest opinion. No chip on my shoulder, no "bitter and twisted" - just my _experience_.

I'll start with when and what since there seems to be some confusion about what it was I experienced. I joined YO77 sometime early in September 1977. The course commander was a Major ? Evans and his 2IC was Captain J. J. Th*****n. The Wing Sergeant Major was WSM F****h, (and a damn fine man he was too). One of our Instructors was a Sgt. Dave Richmond who I hear has passed on now, (shame, he was a good man too). Funnily enough Dave was seconded to Depot, RAF Regiment and was my course senior there a year later - he was no more or less harsh to the Rocks than he was to YO77. On the course with me were two "lidded" booties Frazer H****w and Sandy B****e. Names I can remember who were Direct Entrants were: Greg T*****r, ? Matson, ? Benbow and there was a "Mc - something" from one of Australia, NZ, Rhodesia, South Africa... It was also the year that Keyvan Pahlavi-nia, a prince of Iran, was training with us. Frazer and I were assigned to babysit him. I was binned in mid(?) February about 3 weeks before we were due to take the Commando tests. The reason: I was "unsuitable to the Officer's Mess". I wrote the following previously elsewhere and will place the link to save my typing finger.

>>> Link <<<

During the entire 5(ish) months I spent on YO77 I cannot recall being outside the top 3 fittest on the course. In fairness my memory is probably playing the odd trick but I think it very reasonable to say that I was rarely if ever outside the top 5 in any physical activity. In general the only person I ever remember beating me consistently was Greg T. I don't recall ever being beaten by Frazer or Sandy at anything physical. (Yes, I know, they were "cruising"... Totally non-competitive you Booties... ;) ). Having been within 3 weeks of the tests and having been more able than many who subsequently passed there was no doubt that I would pass them unless I became injured.

I subsequently went on to the RAF Regiment, specifically on the recommendation of an old Army WO who was a Range Warden on SPTA when YO77 was doing live firing there in January 1988. I asked who were the best units he saw coming through his range. He put No. II Sqn. RAF Regiment up there amongst the best.

So, that's the history. No embellishment, no lies, to coin a phrase "just the facts" including the bits about me being a gobby little prick.

RAF training started at Swinderby for 6 weeks where they teach you how to march etc. Basic training, (Basic Gunner or BG's), for the RAF Regiment was a 12 week course that, while quite difficult physically, it really didn't match Lympstone. That's fine, they were training men for several different scenarios some of which a "Bootie" level of fitness really isn't necessary. BG's turned out Gunners that were at least the equivalent of the line regiments of the Army - physically competent but not "olympic contenders". Training/Selection for II Sqn is a little different. What you get depended upon how long there was to the next available Parachute course at Brize. If they could only fit in the four week Pre-Para then that's all you got. If there was longer you got a four week Pre-Pre-Para which was II Sqn itself determining your appropriateness for the squadron. If you passed that then you were passed on the the PTI/PJI's for Pre-Para. I was one of the "fortunate" - I got both.

The physical stress of Pre-pre and Pre-Para was extreme. I ached in the mornings early on at Lympstone but I never had a problem coming down stairs. On Pre-Para I could barely get down the stairs in the mornings for the first two weeks. The physical was incessant. Equipment runs followed by the gym, followed by the assault course, followed by another long run and another session in the gym were the daily routine. It was much more intense than Lympstone.

An honest assessment of the two is that CTC is longer and gives more time to "fix" things that are wrong and "catch up" but it can wear you down too, (you're getting the physical and the BS at the same time). But they are also teaching "soldiering" the same time which dilutes the intensity. BG training does the "soldiering" while Pre-Para does none of that. That's why Pre-Para is more intense. There's no time to "catch up" because there is no let up. I carried more weight more often on Pre-Para and Pre-Pre-Para than I did at CTC. I don't recall the times we were expected to carry out certain tasks in at CTC but I clearly remembering thinking, (at the time), that Pre-Para was much harder work.

Now, I'm sure that many amongst you will automatically rail against what I have said - I'm really not interested in reading your vitreol because it is so predictable. You aren't being told what you want to hear and you'll never accept that, so save your typing finger, I won't respond. Others may have noted that I don't say that II Sqn. RAF Regiment are better or worse than the Royal Marines. My experience showed me that Pre-Parachute Training for the RAF Regiment is harder physically than CTC - it's sure as hell more intense and demanding.

I know, I know... I'm a failure... I don't care, I'm gone 50 and am far better off for the course my life took than I ever would have been had I not been that dratted failure...

So... Now you know...

Sorry, no, I got to the second sentence and fell asleep. That was fcuking boring, and you said Paddy droned on. Really, can you not just say something funny or what? You seem to exist for this thread so at least take the time to think up something witty whilst you're kept awake at night by the thoughts that you could have been so much more.

I had thought you were the dullest man I've ever encountered, but that award goes to the Waf Regiment throbber who sat opposite me in scran this afternoon and started ditting on about A4 laminate.

FlagWagger said:
stirling said:
Hmm, anyone else notice the contradiction on this page?

Category: Airmen/airwomen
Open to: men only

Are the rocks struggling with their sexuality?
No idea mate, i fell asleep half-way through his drivel!!

I can't get my head around someone who is trying so uber hard about what he has or has not done.

In a word nobody really cares as we all know the crabs are shite!!

zzz

Airborne_Aircrew said:
I can see that... You have to be a complete and utter bastard to be a Rock... :p
No, that's just an Ad Qual to having to be a complete and utter wanker, you however obviously qualify on both counts.
Well done.

lol....i love interservice banter!

I was going to join the RAF until about 2 years ago when i decided the Fleet Airm Arm was better for me!

Their both good services...but we all know Navy Pilots are just that bit better....end of ;)

wet_blobby

War Hero
Quote A-A "The physical stress of Pre-pre and Pre-Para was extreme. I ached in the mornings early on at Lympstone but I never had a problem coming down stairs. On Pre-Para I could barely get down the stairs in the mornings for the first two weeks. The physical was incessant. Equipment runs followed by the gym, followed by the assault course, followed by another long run and another session in the gym were the daily routine. It was much more intense than Lympstone.

An honest assessment of the two is that CTC is longer and gives more time to "fix" things that are wrong and "catch up" but it can wear you down too, (you're getting the physical and the BS at the same time). But they are also teaching "soldiering" the same time which dilutes the intensity. BG training does the "soldiering" while Pre-Para does none of that. That's why Pre-Para is more intense. There's no time to "catch up" because there is no let up. I carried more weight more often on Pre-Para and Pre-Pre-Para than I did at CTC. I don't recall the times we were expected to carry out certain tasks in at CTC but I clearly remembering thinking, (at the time), that Pre-Para was much harder work." Unquote A-A

I take it this is the Raf Regt equivalent of P-coy/Cdo tests?

Just a thought, as Raf Regt basic isn't as long as RM basic perhaps you weren't as conditioned as you'd of been 3 weeks from your Cdo tests at CTC. Also the thing that I found gets you the most at CTC when you do your CDO tests is the fact that your fcuked before you start them after just finishing final ex. What does the Raf Regt do immediately prior to pre para? is it an exercise or is pre-para one longish fizz session with tests at the end?

Just a thought, as Raf Regt basic isn't as long as RM basic perhaps you weren't as conditioned as you'd of been 3 weeks from your Cdo tests at CTC. Also the thing that I found gets you the most at CTC when you do your CDO tests is the fact that your fcuked before you start them after just finishing final ex. What does the Raf Regt do immediately prior to pre para? is it an exercise or is pre-para one longish fizz session with tests at the end?
Yes, you're correct, it's the RAF version of P Coy. II Sqn used to do P Coy but it was decided that Pre-Para was equivalent and therefore passing Pre-Para was acceptable, just like the Cdo Course is considered equivalent for Royal to turn up at Brize without doing P Coy.

Conditioning: Having completed BG's I then had four weeks of Pre-Pre-Para which is equally physically demanding as Pre-Para but, rather than being run by PTI's/PJI's it was run by the Squadron itself. The only real difference was that the errr... "encouragement" on Pre-Pre-Para was a little harsher shall we say... So, no... Conditioning was not an issue, we had all of a week or 10 days between the two where, rest assured, we weren't allowed to lie around eating pies...

The final week of Pre-Para was spent humping up and down the mountains in the north west Highlands of Scotland. No stagging on at nights or the other messing around because Pre-Para isn't to test your soldiering abilities but rather your resilience. IIRC we had but a couple of days of "normal" Pre-Para again before the final run.

As I said before, in it's own way the Cdo Course is more likely to wear a person down which, in itself, is a selection issue. Much of those selection issues have taken place in BG's and Pre-Pre-Para leaving only the physical demands for Pre-Para which is what makes it more demanding and intense.

Again, no claims of superiority/inferiority. Just trying to get the story straight.

Some of you might have come across a mate of mine. He was a Cpl when I knew him but I hear he came to Royal on exchange I think it was, (IIRC to CTC). Sgt. Chris C******r... He's a fine example of a II Sqn. Rockape. He'd probably tell you about the same thing I'm telling you.

Airborne_Aircrew said:

Yes, you're correct, it's the RAF version of P Coy. II Sqn used to do P Coy but it was decided that Pre-Para was equivalent and therefore passing Pre-Para was acceptable, just like the Cdo Course is considered equivalent for Royal to turn up at Brize without doing P Coy.

Conditioning: Having completed BG's I then had four weeks of Pre-Pre-Para which is equally physically demanding as Pre-Para but, rather than being run by PTI's/PJI's it was run by the Squadron itself. The only real difference was that the errr... "encouragement" on Pre-Pre-Para was a little harsher shall we say... So, no... Conditioning was not an issue, we had all of a week or 10 days between the two where, rest assured, we weren't allowed to lie around eating pies...

The final week of Pre-Para was spent humping up and down the mountains in the north west Highlands of Scotland. No stagging on at nights or the other messing around because Pre-Para isn't to test your soldiering abilities but rather your resilience. IIRC we had but a couple of days of "normal" Pre-Para again before the final run.

As I said before, in it's own way the Cdo Course is more likely to wear a person down which, in itself, is a selection issue. Much of those selection issues have taken place in BG's and Pre-Pre-Para leaving only the physical demands for Pre-Para which is what makes it more demanding and intense.

Again, no claims of superiority/inferiority. Just trying to get the story straight.

Some of you might have come across a mate of mine. He was a Cpl when I knew him but I hear he came to Royal on exchange I think it was, (IIRC to CTC). Sgt. Chris C******r... He's a fine example of a II Sqn. Rockape. He'd probably tell you about the same thing I'm telling you.
Yeah yeah Chris C the jap slapper

Zzzzz bored

Airborne_Aircrew said:
Some of you might have come across a mate of mine too, Johnny Two-Combs. Me and him once blah-blah-blah-blah......

This has degenerated from a nice bit of slanging into a big timing walt fest.

Bored now.

Oh, I did see some pebbel fags training at Kandahar, they were quite impressive, a whole 3 pull ups each! It might have been 4 if they hadn't tired themselves out swinging their legs like fcuk after the first one.

Montigny_La_Palisse said:
Airborne_Aircrew said:
Some of you might have come across a mate of mine too, Johnny Two-Combs. Me and him once blah-blah-blah-blah......

Bored now.

Oh, I did see some pebbel fags training at Kandahar, they were quite impressive, a whole 3 pull ups each! It might have been 4 if they hadn't tired themselves out swinging their legs like fcuk after the first one.
Chris C is Johnny 2 combs mate!! He taught the lads at "Hareford" how to Jap slap whilst combing his hair with one hand tied up combing his locks!!

Edited due to mongloid spelling

ex_rubberdagger said:
Airborne_Aircrew said:

Bored now.

Chris C is Johnny 2 combs mate!! He taught the lads at "Hareford" how to Jap slap whilst combing his hair with one hand tied up combing his locks!!

I thought as much, remember that time when me, you Johnny C and "legs" pitched up in Darfur with nowt but our wits and a Pinkie?

ex_rubberdagger said:
Airborne_Aircrew said:

Bored now.

I thought as much, remember that time when me, you Johnny C and "legs" pitched up in Darfur with nowt but our wits and a Pinkie?
Was that before or after we had all our weopons confiscated and we were forced to use rusty old AK's to release the hostages??

Shit i think that was in another film!!

zzz

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
JockJack Diamond Lil's 30
frogman007 Diamond Lil's 7
Joint_Force_Harrier Diamond Lil's 12