The Bliar's Legacy

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by Bergen, Jun 17, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Seems like Phony Tony thinks that the disastrous invasion of Iraq had nothing to do with his popularity crash. With that kind of thinking we can expect some real efforts from him to spin the events of the past 5 years to put himself in the best possible light and burnish his legacy. The fact remains though that he lied to Parliament and to the British public about every aspect of the invasion, including the commitment of British troops with no planning in place for the aftermath.

As this snippet from The Observer illustrates, the press may take his departure from Downing Street as an opportunity to really expose him.

Tony Blair agreed to commit British troops to battle in Iraq in the full knowledge that Washington had failed to make adequate preparations for the postwar reconstruction of the country.

In a devastating account of the chaotic preparations for the war, which comes as Blair enters his final full week in Downing Street, key No 10 aides and friends of Blair have revealed the Prime Minister repeatedly and unsuccessfully raised his concerns with the White House...

In one of the most significant interviews in the programme, Peter Mandelson says that the Prime Minister knew the preparations were inadequate but said he was powerless to do more...'I remember him saying at the time: "Look, you know, I can't do everything. That's chiefly America's responsibility, not ours."

Bummer :thumright:

2. Bollox

He could have commited more effort to post Op planning from the UK end, whilst it wouldn't have made a massive difference across Iraq it would certainly have been of value to UK efforts.

He could also have reasonably made Post Op planning a condition of support, although I recognise that he may have tried and been unable to follow through on it as a result of other influences.

He's deluding himself if he thinks that other things can make up for it, in the publics eyes at least.
  3. "... he knew the preparations were inadequate ...", ".... he was powerless to do more....". Are we missing something here?? I mean, has all this business of Brussels trying to take over the running of the UK been a smoke-screen? Have we actually become one of the United States of America without anyone actually noticing it?

Statements like these show Bliar up to be the ineffective leader we have always believed him to be. It highlights that he has been unwilling to lead this country in any other way other than to blindly follow the US in their quest for world-pacification (team america style). Now he comes across as someone who is trying to re-write a little recent history in order to get himself off the hook and blame someone else for their own failings.

A little honesty, even at this late juncture, would be appreciated.

4. chieftiff

chieftiff War Hero Moderator

Legacy! perhaps he should have spent more time leading the government to improve the lot of our nation, rather than worry what people might say about him?

Blairs legacy will be one of an impotent prime minister who allowed this country to be dragged into the ambition of America, when that went wrong he failed to either make any effort to correct his mistakes or accept responsibility for his actions. He continues to shift the blame for mistakes which either directly, or indirectly HE was responsible for. I think the term is moral coward?
  5. My grand father was a concecious objector in the First world war and I have immense respect for him as he served with the RAMC, but this idiot bliar deserves nothing but contempt as he was willing to put other people in harms way and when it was found he lied he tried to back peddle. At least my grand father stood for what he bleived in AND helped defend his country, by the way my grand father was also gassed and was only 17 when he joined up.
    On another note Gurkahs this makes me want to throw my Falklands medal in the liars face, if it would not disrespect those who did not come back
  6. I would have thought Thatcher's face would be more appropriate. :roll: :roll:
  7. His legacy is getting to the stage where he makes Underpants Boy aka the Grey man look like a heavyweight - and I never thought I'd hear myself say that!
  8. Why was it that Margaret Thatcher, 81 and infirmed, curtsied to the Prince of Wales last Sunday, and Cherie Bliar couldn't even force a genuine smile?
  9. Simple, Lady Thatcher has more integrity and balls than the entire Labour Cabinet.

And for such a committed anti Royalist, you can bet your last quid Charie Booth will be more than happy to take any of the retirement gongs going when her incompetent husband finally fvcks off into the sunset.
  10. Never a truer word spoken oil_slick.
  11. Thanks for answering my question Oil-Slick! Whole heartenly agree! I want Bergen to be our next Prime Minister, but you could make a very scrumptious chancellor :thumright:
  12. ' The great masses of the people... will more easily fall victims to a great lie than to a small one'
    Adolf Hitler 1889 - 1945

Even Mr Brown is prevaricating now:

'............not be including Lib Dems in my cabinet' = Paddy Ashdown offered a Cabinet post.

Bottom line is that you can't believe Nu Liebour on anything - perhaps this should be entitled the Bliar/Brown Legacy...... ?
  13. Biggest joke of all - GW Bush is on about making Tony B the 'Peace Envoy' to the Middle East

FECK me what has he done for peace ??

14. What has he done for peace? Well he's been the cause of many thousands of ordinary Iraqis finding eternal peace
  15. Is that peace with allah or pieces of their relatives due to suicide bombers?
  16. Looking in a different direction, last night's Newsnight on BBC2 covered how the police are no longer responsible for Bank and credit card fraud and it is left to the banks to take matters forward. So much for "Tough on crime and the causes of crime" - he and his cronies have politicised the police and ntroduced such a target mentality that they seem no longer to want to actually uphold the law.
  17. Well, he's 'peaced' off most of the services, now he can have a go at the Middle East.. !!