The Birdman of Union Street.

Discussion in 'Diamond Lil's' started by wet_blobby, Feb 5, 2010.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

Is the stupid old fcuker still about?

Used to get naked whilst hanging off the ceiling etc of "the Street" or in old money "the Star bar".

He was a couple of sandwiches short of a picnic but harmless enough, anyone else remember him?

2. Now that's a name from the past. Yep I remember the Birdman, what a complete head the ball he was, always good for a laugh though

3. have not seen him in years...another urban legend was the guy who would play the spoons on unions street..

4. I remember the crazy bastard. Union street is a place I only knew well in the '60's early 70's but what a place, Rex Zetas (the prof) the electric bar, and all the shitty places in the side streets off it. Fan fcukin tastic. :D

5. I used to see the Birdman quite regularly about 15 years ago in various pubs.

I last saw him doing Karaoke in "The Navy" on the Barbican about 5 or 6 years ago but my memory may be playing tricks on me and it could be a little longer than that.

He was still on form - still barking!

6. Union Strasse was a great den of eniquity early 70s. The Antelope springs to mind..
    Is it still open ? :oops:

7. "Antelope" became the "Hackney Carriage" and has been renamed as something else since. It was closed down recently due to some incident but I believe that was a temporary arrangement and it's probably open again now.

I got that last bit from the local rag. I haven't been down the hell-hole that is now Union St for several years.

8. the hackney carriage is now called Maxines....still rough as fuck

9. tiddlyoggy

tiddlyoggy War Hero Book Reviewer

Soleil,

That is indeed the birdman. Still doing his Karaoke regularly, but more likely to be seen down the Barbican than the strip. A truly entertaining chap.

10. Ahh Union street a blast from the pasti remember the birdman and the spoons.The antelope the paramount (naval school o dancing)zetas the RN patrol hq or whatever you would call it .Great days

11. He used to attend the regular 'Twigs' karaoke nights...........classic.

12. Spotted the old bugger today gurning at me and my mate through the window of "The Navy"

13. Good old lovable Bird Man - bit odd, entertaining and harmless..Bollox he is, the guy has a history of kiddy fiddling. I KNOW THAT FOR A FACT.

14. You still sore, or what?

15. Have you reported this to the police?

16. Union Street in the 70's ? "The Paromount" ? Generally known of the "Naval School of Dancing"! Feckin good run when the pubs closed, with the Naval Meat Wagon parked up on the pavement for easy retrieval of Drunken Matelots lol.

Re 70's again, what was the name of the Pub opposite Aggie Westons ?
    Had a blonde haired Snapper in there, but will add he was a top man
    any ideas ?