Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Birdman of Union Street.

Is the stupid old fcuker still about?

Used to get naked whilst hanging off the ceiling etc of "the Street" or in old money "the Star bar".

He was a couple of sandwiches short of a picnic but harmless enough, anyone else remember him?

alacrity174

War Hero
Now that's a name from the past. Yep I remember the Birdman, what a complete head the ball he was, always good for a laugh though

FunkyJunky

War Hero
have not seen him in years...another urban legend was the guy who would play the spoons on unions street..

Rumrat

War Hero
wet_blobby said:
Is the stupid old fcuker still about?

Used to get naked whilst hanging off the ceiling etc of "the Street" or in old money "the Star bar".

He was a couple of sandwiches short of a picnic but harmless enough, anyone else remember him?

I remember the crazy bastard. Union street is a place I only knew well in the '60's early 70's but what a place, Rex Zetas (the prof) the electric bar, and all the shitty places in the side streets off it. Fan fcukin tastic. :D

Ballistic

War Hero
I used to see the Birdman quite regularly about 15 years ago in various pubs.

I last saw him doing Karaoke in "The Navy" on the Barbican about 5 or 6 years ago but my memory may be playing tricks on me and it could be a little longer than that.

He was still on form - still barking!

johne

War Hero
Union Strasse was a great den of eniquity early 70s. The Antelope springs to mind..
Is it still open ? :oops:

Ballistic

War Hero
johne said:
Union Strasse was a great den of eniquity early 70s. The Antelope springs to mind..
Is it still open ? :oops:

"Antelope" became the "Hackney Carriage" and has been renamed as something else since. It was closed down recently due to some incident but I believe that was a temporary arrangement and it's probably open again now.

I got that last bit from the local rag. I haven't been down the hell-hole that is now Union St for several years.

tiddlyoggy

War Hero
Book Reviewer
Soleil,

That is indeed the birdman. Still doing his Karaoke regularly, but more likely to be seen down the Barbican than the strip. A truly entertaining chap.

lesbryan

War Hero
tiddlyoggy said:
Soleil,

That is indeed the birdman. Still doing his Karaoke regularly, but more likely to be seen down the Barbican than the strip. A truly entertaining chap.
Ahh Union street a blast from the pasti remember the birdman and the spoons.The antelope the paramount (naval school o dancing)zetas the RN patrol hq or whatever you would call it .Great days

D

Deleted 7

He used to attend the regular 'Twigs' karaoke nights...........classic.

U

uncle_ho

Good old lovable Bird Man - bit odd, entertaining and harmless..Bollox he is, the guy has a history of kiddy fiddling. I KNOW THAT FOR A FACT.

uncle_ho said:
Good old lovable Bird Man - bit odd, entertaining and harmless..Bollox he is, the guy has a history of kiddy fiddling. I KNOW THAT FOR A FACT.

You still sore, or what?

Ballistic

War Hero
uncle_ho said:

Have you reported this to the police?

speedkey

Midshipman
Union Street in the 70's ? "The Paromount" ? Generally known of the "Naval School of Dancing"! Feckin good run when the pubs closed, with the Naval Meat Wagon parked up on the pavement for easy retrieval of Drunken Matelots lol.

Re 70's again, what was the name of the Pub opposite Aggie Westons ?
Had a blonde haired Snapper in there, but will add he was a top man
any ideas ?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
P birdman of bognor Charity 0
MoD_RSS Seeking a deeper and broader partnership between the United Nations and African Union MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Union connectivity review MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Union dividend of £1,941 for every person in Scotland MoD News 0
MoD_RSS New release shows the value of the Union to the nations of the UK MoD News 0
MoD_RSS PM: Union stronger than ever MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UK to work with African Union to slow spread of coronavirus in Africa MoD News 0
Ageing_Gracefully The Union Jack Diamond Lil's 2
MoD_RSS Response to the Fire Brigades Union on supporting fire services MoD News 0
C Can't PM Union Jack Bloody Computers 1
MoD_RSS Travel advice: Rugby Union Six Nations match against Italy MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Letters from the Prime Minister to Department for Exiting the European Union Ministers MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Chance to ‘win while you save’ with new credit union prize account MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Prime Minister launches new Growth Deals funding as he kicks off Union visits in Scotland MoD News 0
MoD_RSS PM speech on the Union: 4 July 2019 MoD News 0
vauxhall Firefighters Union Wins Landmark Pensions Case Finance & Pensions 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Statement by the High Representative of the European Union and the Foreign Ministers of France, Germany and the United Kingdom MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Statement by the High Representative of the European Union and the Foreign Ministers of France, Germany and the United Kingdom MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: UK to invest up to £30m through partnership with African Union MoD News 0
BreathingOutOnTheWayUp Bob's State of the Union Diamond Lil's 43
MoD_RSS Press release: Continuity of requirements under the Construction Products Regulation when the UK leaves the European Union MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Speech: PM's statement on exiting the European Union: 10 December 2018 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: PM promises deal to strengthen the Union MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Speech: DFID Ghana Social Sector Team Leader's speech at Adolescent and Youth Pre-Summit to African Union Second Girl Summit MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Press statement - Progress on the UK’s exit from, and future relationship with, the European Union MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Continuity of planning (environmental) requirements when the UK leaves the European Union MoD News 0
slim Is the Unite union determined to close BMW? Current Affairs 8
soleil NFF: "Competition: Be a Mascot for the Army V Navy Rugby Union Match" Sports and Adventure Training 0
soleil Royal Navy Rugby Union - Director Of Rugby Vacancy Sports and Adventure Training 1
soleil Sunday Times: "Should It Be Union Flag Or Is Jack All Right?" The Fleet 22
soleil Union J 'Go Commando' To Support Poppy Picnics Charity 9
stoker-steam Union Street Diamond Lil's 20
soleil Union Jack Club - Army v Navy Rugby 2013 - April 27th 2013 Sports and Adventure Training 1
Naval_Families_Federation Competition: Be a Mascot for the Army V Navy Rugby Union Match Current Affairs 0
J Re-union Social & Reunions 1
janner Diesel Boat Re-union Submariners 1
trelawney126 French Firm to make Union Jacks for Olympics. The Gash Barge 8
S Union Flag flown on the foremast History 2
soleil Rugby Union: Royal Navy v Royal Air Force - 1930 - April 13th 2011, Newbury Sports and Adventure Training 5
soleil Rugby Union: Royal Navy v French Navy 31/03/11 At Brickfields Sports and Adventure Training 6
janner Diesel Boat Re union - 2011 Submariners 0
G HMS Brazen Association Re-Union Social & Reunions 6
B 21 club re-union Current Affairs 1
soleil Pompey News: "Union Pledges To Fight Any RFA Privatisation" RFA 6
soleil Pompey News: Rugby Union: Navy to take on RAF in Portsmouth Sports and Adventure Training 0
scouse Hms Danae and Yarmouth Re Union Social & Reunions 0
C Last Union Jack Current Affairs 2
Jenwren Wren re-union! Social & Reunions 9
R Bobbies Ordered Not to Wear Union Flag Badges Current Affairs 19
W "Punching Above the Budget" - Prospect Union Current Affairs 3