The Beer Tent

bigbaddog

Banned
For the attention of all ale suppers, who have supped ale in all four rounded corners of the world....I would like to know which beer struck a chord with your tastebuds, or messed with your head in the most pleasant or deadly way! Beers only please - not spirits or strange trance inducing brews given to you by the lost M'dinga Tribe of Northern Borneo etc etc.
I have tried all the beers currently on offer in Tescos, Sainsburys, Asda and the like (yep good old Blighty!) and I now want to grab these Mega-Markets Alcohol representatives by the nether regions and present them with a new list of brews that they can stock for our quaffing pleasure.
To begin with I nominate these two:

1. Maccabee - a funky little number originating in Israel. It had a taste
that required some re-aligning of the average British DNA structure,
but after a crate or two - you were fluent in hebrew and could sing the
Israeli National Anthem in Yiddish. This beer crept up on you like a
Traffic Warden in hush puppies and is definitely a giver of extreme
pain the next morning!

2. Mythos (pronounced Meethos) - Any bar on any Greek island will have
this one available. Tourists usually stick to Amstel etc - but I can
thoroughly recommend "chilling" with a few bottles of this ! No
pain value that I can recall and its one of them you can supp all day
whilst you laze at the beach, collecting melanomas.

mikh

MIA
Anchor Beer, first sampled it in Penang (I think) along with Tiger Beer. I can get Tiger in the UK no problem, but never seen Anchor

slim

War Hero
mikh said:
Anchor Beer, first sampled it in Penang (I think) along with Tiger Beer. I can get Tiger in the UK no problem, but never seen Anchor

Anchor beer used to be brewed at the Anchor Breweries in Singapore. They also brewed the infamous Tiger. The brewery run always used to end up in the Nutshell Bar (in the brewery) the quicker the trip around the brewery, the more time in the bar. hence "Any questions". No thanks

Handler

War Hero
Farson's Blue Label-----watery piss from Malta days-----Tusker from East Africa----Tiger Tops and San Mig-----One to avoid was Brickwoods Sunshine Ales----ffs - that was weasel water!

Letsbeavenue

Badgeman
Tusker in the Florida Bar, Mombassa, Kenya. :shock:
Carib throughout the Caribbean, could be something to do with dangling feet in harryredders oggin. :lol:
Pivo in Lithuania - don't bother. :cry:
As for American beers, if all you've got left in your fridge is Bud, then you've run out of beer. :???:
Proper Corona in Mexico with limes on the side not shoved down the bottle very nice. :razz:

Best in the entire world though, Bass at my local, though it can make your bottle go a bit burpy! :wink:

Handler

War Hero
Those whe ever entered the Blue Anchor in Helston---no doubt tasted the Stingo and Spingo that was brewed on the premises----washed the oggies down in style.

Definitely Anchor - in large bottles, although I quite liked Singha from Thailand (although that may be because I was p*ssed most of the time I was there!).

Edit - If we're talking about the UK, then it has to be Bass.

Whatevr happened to DOUBLE DIAMOND. Sure worked wonders on me in the old days.

Then Grunhalle lager hit the pumps. Was that just up North?

Tiger has to be appreciated in a sweat dripping environment nice and cold.

Latest Threads