The Battle of the River Plate

Discussion in 'Films, Music, TV & All Things Artsy' started by Seaweed, Feb 19, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Seaweed

Seaweed War Hero Book Reviewer

Showing this afternoon at 1655 on Film4.
  2. Never understood what the Jock lookout, was on about ,when the sun broke the horizon????
  3. It's been on a fair bit this year already. I do however watch it lol
  4. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Because, as a WAFU, you were probably never awake or on the upper scupper when the sun was up - no doubt flat on your back on your scratcher! :wink:
  5. Seaweed

btw the Graf Spee is the heavy 8" cruiser USS Newport News; the Achilles is playing herself although by then was in the Indian Navy as the INS Delhi. The supply ship is an RFA. Some 'damage' shots were done on board a Colony in Fountain Lake. Sometimes some of the bods in shot are the ships' regular naval people - never did hear whether they were paid anything.
  6. Roger that :wink: would have had to have a lie-in. After night flying??? :wink: :wink: No (Tirreagre)?? for me :wink:
  7. Seaweed

Watched the end of it - Cumberland was playing herself, at the time of the filming she was trials ship for the 6" 26 and the 3" 70 destined for the Tiger class, and her original armament had been removed. Quarterdeck scenes were kosher 6" cruiser, Town or Colony.

Anachronism & other nitpicks - officers' cap badges were post-1953. A/c cockpit scene looked like Tiger Moth. Catapult fired way after a/c had started moving.
  8. :roll: I was aboard HMS Jamaica (colony class) at the time of the filming,
    The Jamaica played the part of HMS Exeter,HMS Sheffield played the part of HMS Ajax.and the INS Delhi formerly HMS Achilles played herself.
    Many of the gun actions were by ships company.
    And that film crew still owe me a beer piso b'stards,mind you the I expect the Admiralty did well out of it.Aye JR :roll:
  9. Seaweed

Oh and the Tacoma looked to me like a Fort class RFA issy-vissy (Liberty ship hull).
  10. Seadog

Seadog War Hero Moderator

Odd that the credits say 'USS Salem' then. :roll:
  11. :wink: RFA OLNA?
  12. Seaweed

In the Montevideo scenes it's not Olna which was an oiler, & 'Tacoma' had no oiling derricks, but I think there may have been an oiler earlier in the film which part I missed this time around.

Salem - missed the credit - I stand corrected.
  13. Seaweed

Thought I'd bump this as it's on Film4 again (they are obviously tops for recycling) at 1650 tomorrow Wed 25th.
  14. I believe that it will be done to death before they give back the can
  15. Have to say it's always been one of my favourite war films. I hadn't seen it in ages but recently watched it again as I'm joining in April