The ball is now rolling...

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by usmarox, Jul 23, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. After reading RR for Gawd knows how long, I finally bit the bullet and went to the AFCO yesterday. Wanted to find out a bit more about the submarine service, and it turned out I was in luck as my recruiter is a WE(SM).

I'm now trying to decide between MA(SM) and WE(SM). I was pretty much settled on MA, but I think I'm leaning toward WE(SM) now, since it sounds a lot more diverse than I'd thought.

On the other hand, I didn't ask what the current waiting times were. Anyone know?

2. What does MA(SM) and WE(SM) stand for?
  3. Medical Assistant (Submariner) and Weapons Engineer (Submariner)
  4. Thanks. The weapons engineer sounds the better out of the two. very different options though. Let us know which one you go for and best of luck with the application process.
  5. Why does it sound the 'better' of the two? You see two pairs of words and decide one is 'better'. Surely it's up to personal preference?
  6. I meant if I had to choose between the two thats what I would go for.
  7. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

8. why would you go for we(sm) as apposed to ma(sm)? I believe in the long term ma is the better route, as you have more transferable skills. It may be a longer wait, but well worth it
  9. They're both jobs I think I could interest myself in. The longterm outlook for MA(SM) seems to be better on the strength of the trade quals alone, but I don't intend to coast along on those alone.

Also, if I've understood properly, it sounds like there's a real possibility of the MA having a very routine job. After all, people don't break legs and reactors don't start leaking on regular basis. It's not unimportant, just potentially boring. And the information I have isn't very clear on career path past PO.

So there's pros and cons to both, which I have to weigh up. Obviously if anyone can add anything to help, then that's more than welcome :)

Speaking of which, everything I've read suggests that the fleet is desparately short of MA(SM)s. If that's really the case, how come the wait is long?
  10. Same here usmarox, I went to the AFCO presentation for the Royal Navy yesterday, was pretty impressed, but I'm still not sure if the Royal Navy is for me!
  11. What, only ONE???!!! o_O
  12. 'Fraid so. Co-ordination's not my strong point :)
  13. sgtpepperband

Well at least he has one to roll, so to speak... :wink:
  14. It depend if you like working with your hands what. Im a AET (gods gift to earth) and would rather be ETWE(SM) but I have mates that are masms. The skills as MA are nothing in civi street, our mas get no recognised qualifications at all, masms though get their neuclear health and safty degree which can land a healthy wage on the outside, however so do wets I think
  15. Give us your reasons why it's not for you? I'm just curious.
  16. So the C&G in GMS has been binned?As for your sweeping statement re the value of MA skills in Civvy St,you are WAY off the mark!I did my RGN training a few years after leaving the RN and worked in ITU/CCU for 15 years.My MA training meant that my knowledge of A&P,disease and diagnosis was better than a Junior HO!I hardly had to do any revision during the whole course and passed with flying colours!If medicine is an interest and you want to persue it afterwards then Go MA(SM),i know of a few that have a good living working in Industrial Medicine.Best thing i ever did was go MA.
  17. Cheeky sod! :lol: Just as Nutty's acquired "extensions" over the years, I've lost my nuts. If anyone finds them, do give me a bell. Can't say I miss em though. :biggrin:
  18. sgtpepperband

Thingy: You and Hitler could've made a great double act... :lol:
  19. Surely that should be Gö-balls?
  20. The application forms went in today. Apparently my recruiter's on leave, so things will take a little longer. So it's now just a case of hurry up and wait.