The Back Of The Queue

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by BeansOnToast?, Jun 4, 2011.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Alright there,

I am new on here so firstly "hello"!

Just passed my RT yesterday and am now in line to join up as a chef, Just thought id post this up and see if there was anyone else on here in a similar position and thought it'd be an idea to keep in touch as we all wait in line throughout the various stages of the application process.

Been told I have a 2 year wait on my hands, so always good to get the banter going early as well as keeping each other in the loop with how we are all getting on.

Cheers!

2. Havent joined up yet and your calling yerself a feckin chef already..............jeez Its FUCKIN COOK

3. No it isn't.

4. Jeez its a FUCKIN chef, its says on the website. Here have a look.

Royal Navy

5. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

Chef....Cook... whats the difference, no one has ever successfully passed the course.

6. witsend

witsend War Hero Book Reviewer

A chef doesn't wash his pots. Therefore the RN employs cooks.

But as you say Blobbs, what really is the difference.

7. wet_blobby

..... Leads me into a little dit.... A few moons ago at lympstone all the Bootnecks were on parade in best blues and shiny buttons for the CGRM who was there for a visit. The CGRM was walking the ranks, stopping to chat to someone now and then, he stopped opposite one bootneck and asked "what trade are you son" "Cook, Sir" came the reply. "Cook...Cook" boomed the CGRM "we dont have Cooks in the Marines son, You're a chef" said the CGRM and carried on walking down the line.
    He again paused and turned to another immaculatley turned out bootneck "And what trade are you then Son?" asked the CGRM "I'm a Chef sir" replied the bootneck. "Splendid" replied a beaming CGRM "How long have you been a chef son?" he enquired "About 20 seconds Sir" replied the Bootneck.
    The CGRM didn't talk to any more bootnecks.

• Like Like x 1
  8. witsend

That made me snigger!

9. There ya go, all the chefs are in with the bootnecks and we get the leftovers.....cooks

10. witsend

You might be onto something there!

11. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Semantics

A chef employed on a ship or in the field quite obviously differs to those employed in a restaurant on the high street.

All of those serving on a ship, have menial tasks associated with employment. They may have to clean their cooking implements, but the rest of us clean shit-houses - does that mean we're all cleaners first & branch second? Perhaps it does.

A chef, by definition is a professional cook. Call it what you will, they are first class now, they always were.

They are now called Chefs within the service, mercifully no longer "Logistician Food Preparation" and not cooks either.

12. witsend

Ahhh Ninja, but your average Mitchell Chef doesn't live in the restaurant and scrub its shitters. He clocks off and wanders home to scrub his own.

We'll have to agree to disagree about that 'first class' thing. You must have got lucky!

13. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

As food was and still is free whilst serving afload, one felt it churlish to moan excessively.

That said, the chefs had no right to complain either if I managed to put an engine back together with less bits than designed, retained half a bucket of nuts'n'bolts & it happened to explode now & then.

Swings & roundabouts.

14. Cooks prepare food from pre determined recipes and have little or no leeway for original work.

Chefs make shit up. Well at least thats what google says.

15. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

Don't Skimmers still have Officers Chefs and Ships Cooks? Branch badge was S and S star with OC or SC in it

16. wet_blobby

Chef... Cook...

Some of the hardest men in the Corps wore white and blue check trousers then smiled sweetly whilst proudly slopping some shite on your plate.

There was once some smiley chap who won Olympic cooking medals and coached the Corps boxing team.

17. witsend

Due to the numbers the 'cooks' and stewards would combine there watchbills at the weekends. It never ceased to amaze me that the pillow fluffers could pump out a better scran than the dinnerladies.

18. Ok ok so I'm applying to join as a failed chef/cook.... Haha cheers guys

19. Disregard the inter-departmental wind-ups; just remember to wheel a few extra goodies down to the lads/lassies from time to time & they'll all be eating out of your hands - Literally and metaphorically.

20. Aye, not many had a go at two scoops of chips when he was Duty.