The Ashes - Lords Test

Discussion in 'Sports and Adventure Training' started by The_Jimmy, Jul 15, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hope there will be no underarm tactics used by England as was done at Cardiff.

2. :oops: Nope the Aussies only do that against the Kiwis!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: The Underarm bowling incident of 1981 occurred on 1 February 1981, when Australia were playing New Zealand in a One Day International cricket match, the third of five such matches in the final of the Benson & Hedges World Series Cup, at the Melbourne Cricket Ground. In order to prevent New Zealand from scoring the six they needed to tie, the Australian captain instructed his bowler to deliver the last ball underarm, along the ground. This action was technically legal, but seen as being against the spirit of the game. Bowler Trevor Chappell to Brian McKechnie :oops:

3. :oops: :oops: Unlucky Ricky Ponting, :cya: :cheers: :cheers:

4. As you're in the know, can you remember the commentator in one of the test matches who reported "Bowled Lilley caught Dilly etc. etc? Can't remember the exact quote but it was hilarious

5. "The bowlers Holding the batsmans Willie" get it right cnut

6. How about: "Lilly caught Dilley bowled Willey"

But you can't beat Jonno's alleged "The bowler's Holding, the batsman's Willey". The ol' duffer believed that he never said it but witnesses present said he did.

7. A good day's cricket, England all out for 425 and Australia 156-8. Let's just hope the tail doesn't wag! The last time England beat the Aussies at Lord's was 1934, so a great opportunity.

8. Not sure if one has been done about the look on Ricky Pontings Face Today yet :lol: :lol: :lol: But here goes some others :wink: :wink: --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There is some question as to whether one of cricket's classic howlers was ever spoken on air, and who said it. Cricket commentators Don Mosey and Brian Johnston were in the commentating box for the BBC World Service in a test match between West Indies and England at the Oval. Batsman Peter Willey was at the stumps, bowler Michael Holding was at the crease, but did either Mosey or Johnston really say on air:

We welcome World Service listeners to the Oval, where the bowler's Holding, the batsman's Willey.

Another classic is from 1991 between England and the West Indies at the Oval. Knocking over his own stumps had just got Ian Botham dismissed. Then bad light stopped play and commentators Jonathan Agnew and Brian Johnston were filling the time with replays of the match. Johnston was being a bit mischievous and saucy about Botham straddling the stumps, when Agnew went one better and said:

Well, he didn't quite get his leg over, did he?
    Johnston tried to continue talking normally and he succeeded for about 10 to 20 seconds; then laughed so much he was unable to speak, and all this was heard on air. :wink: 79 Lillie Caught Willey Bowled Dilley :lol:

9. Rain bloody rain is that all it does in your country?

I hope the tail does wag :twisted:

10. tiddlyoggy

tiddlyoggy War Hero Book Reviewer

My niece has just sent me pictures from the Sydney Herald of the sunset. Looks like you're having your fair share of rain shipmate!
    PS-This isn't a typical Aussie thing of getting excuses in early is it? (That's if you lose of course, but this is a "sport" I care nothing for.)

11. Not raining in Queensland mate....yet. :D

12. I just love the bitter and twisted colonials who have such short memories.

Yes it does rain a lot in our country, but at least it keeps the Aussie twats in Earls Court wet on a regular basis.

13. So England sense overdue first Lord's victory since 1934 and rain looks certain to play some part in the final six sessions.

What chance a draw?

14. Strewth hot and sunny in the smoke for the last 2 days, :evil: Rickys Face again :wink: :wink: Dropped catches lose matches :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

15. Controversy mars Test - again
    England captain Andrew Strauss and umpire Rudi Koertzen are competing for the honour of public enemy No.1 in the eyes of Australian cricket fans after their roles on a controversial fourth day of the second Test at Lord's.

If the Aussies dont lose a wicket till lunch I think we can pull off the Great Escape

16. It's a beautiful start to the day up in London but showers are forecast for this afternoon.

A couple of early wickets would do quite nicely before the rain sets in.

Glad to say one of my Loggies has procured a digital radio in time for Test Match Special and is hanging out the window trying to get a good signal.

17. Hope "JIM" will fix it !!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

18. Looks like Freddie has fixed it :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: ! 1 up 3 to go :lol: :lol:

19. Well done England

20. WoW!!!! anybody want to treat me :lol: :lol: :lol: 4 ASHES TICKETS SAT TOGETHER WITH CORPORATE LUNCH
    EDGEBASTON DAY 2 FRI 31/7. SOLD OUT TEST
    £760.00 +£5.00 pp on ebay!!!