the army and people with criminal records

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by IB08, Aug 30, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Sitting in my local AFCO a couple of weeks ago whilst waiting to see my ACLO for an AIB brief interview, I overheard a guy of about 17/18 say to the army recruiting sergeant, "i had to bring in this report as my criminal record is pretty bad." I was just inquisitive as to whether the armys policy of recruiting people with extensive criminal records is just due to the manpower shortage they are currently facing, or whether this has been their policy for a while now. I was not actually aware that people with unspent convictions could serve in HM armed forces at all, as I know convictions have to be "spent" before anyone can join the navy or air force.
  2. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

The Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974 states the rehab periods for any given penalty from date of conviction & is applied on a tri-service basis. After that, it gets rather complicated...

All three services may consider waivers, on completely different terms, depending on the circumstances surrounding the offence, the type of offence the penalties awarded, the remorse shown by the offender, the age of the offender, the verified character of the offender, and providing there's proof that all fines and community service orders are paid & completed.

In general terms a serial-offender has no chance of being considered early, however a one-off offender who is considered outstanding, may be worthy of a waiver being requested after around the halfway point of the rehabilitation period, providing all penalties incurred can be proven clear & there are multiple individuals of sufficiently high social standing wishing to vouch for the individual.

You have to bear in mind a waiver entails a lot of extra work and is frequently not permitted. From a recruiters point of view there is no logical reason to bother applying for a waiver from the outset- the candidate has to convince otherwise. I've known many fools demand a waiver, shortly before being politely shown the exit.
  3. In the olden days some in the services had been given the option of Borstal, prison or the services. It seemed to work fairly well and certainly turned around more than a few lives.
    Would it work today? I doubt it, a good kicking for thieving or bullying etc would not be allowed under present conditions. I can't see a modern Joss leaving a mess deck thief in the mess for a few minutes with his messmates.
  4. I served with at least two guys who were offered service over prison.

Fine soldiers, the both of them.
  5. I see. My guess is the army would be more willing to give waivers than the other two services though, right?
  6. Ninja_Stoker

Never heard that one before, certainly not during my service - not too sure the Army would appreciate the sentiment nowadays. It may well have happened when National Service was still compulsory.

I've heard of people who have appeared in court, having already applied to join the service, before the offence was committed, and been spared a harsher sentence to enable them to join, but never heard of it being offered in lieu of a penalty to someone who hadn't already applied to join-up.

I honestly couldn't answer that one with any categorically correct advice - maybe our colleagues on the sister site would be better placed to advise.
  7. It may well have been a case of "embellished story's" Ninja or like you said, spared a harsher sentence to enable them to join. You could have well believed it of them though.
  8. Ninja_Stoker

They may well be speaking the truth, as Slim's heard of something similar. (Mind you, it was during the Crimea).

I've lost count of the amount of guys who apply to join AFTER they get a summons then ask for you to vouch for them! (As you would after knowing them for the whole of a 45 minute interview [​IMG])
  9. So you based a definitive statement on hearsay?

How odd.
  10. LOL at the summons thing.
  11. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

During the '60's courts in the USA were giving out the option of prison or military service, I presume it was an easy top up for the Military bearing in mind that Vietnam was in full swing at the time.
  12. And they get to go somewhere where they could commit more crime on a daily bases.
  13. Slim is correct Ninja, two guys who joined up with me were given the option of 3 months inside or 3 in the mob, one left after the 3 months the other loved it and signed on, was pretty near top of the class aswell.
  14. There was a coupla guys in my basic class who had criminla records, one went onto SD??