The armed forces have been allocated an extra £400m

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by Chaz, Oct 9, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Better than nothing but a pretty feeble gesture nonetheless. I cant imagine 400 mil will go very far.
  2. chieftiff

chieftiff War Hero Moderator

I don't know, I'm still reading the comprehensive spending review and trying to work out where the figures are coming from. It does seem that we get nothing until 2010-11 which seems a bit bizarre although I hope the truth is hidden in here somewhere. We get some "real growth" of 1.5% year on year apparently, it doesn't seem to be real growth though! Why do I suspect spin at work?

Link to CSR
  3. Bit disappointed to see the "troops overseas" particularly in Iraq and Afghanistan. Now I know the boys and girls are heavily engaged in 2 primarily land ops, however is anyone else fed up with the lack of acknowledgement for what the RN does by this govt. I had to explain to some chap the other day that the big blue bit on a map of the middle east was in fact water and could their organisation please accept the fact that we still exist. They had no idea what the RN is up to and these were big boys. Scary stuff!
  4. Think I'm right in saying that theres been a continual Naval presence in the Persian Gulf since 1977 (standing by to be corrected), and you bang on, no one appreicates or mentions that.
  5. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

I's the same old budget: "rob Peter to pay Paul". If you want your toys in the future you'll have to go without now. So to pay for the two new super-carriers (the Government's classification!), the RN will have to sacrifice some warships prematurely... :roll: 8O
  6. Same ole story eh! I've read somewhere the 4 batch 3 22's are next to go - that'll be the 400m then!
  7. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Yeah; god forbid they get rid of a dozen or so Flag Officers to payroll some new kit... :roll:
  8. My current job involves procurment type issues and I constantly suffer from the incompetance and underfunding of what is now DE&S. I have watched as £000 have been wasted through slippage and plain stupidity. I ve suffered from the DSTL 'not invented here syndrome' and the lack of professional knowledge from my own Officers who dont care unless it affects their next cushy draft or promotion - do anything but rock the boat.

After 26 years in the Andrew Ive had enough and will be leaving as soon as Ive got a job.

The reasons:

Gapping in excess of 25%
    Senior Officers totaly out of touch with the men
    Lack of moral
    DE&S (shuffle the system every few years so you can shift the blame)
    total inability to change anything quicker than 4 years
    Total unaccountability of incompetant civil servants
    Lions lead by donkeys (nothing new there)
    Officers unable to command
    Pink and fluffy crap