The all-new Navy Net

Discussion in 'Site Issues' started by Good CO, Aug 11, 2014.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. OK, the title is a little grand as it is not all new - just the forum software. Just to upset IT perfectionists, the site is live without the migration being complete. We have done this so that the site forums are live and usable, if still 'beta'. Over the course of the day and coming days there will be a large number of smaller fixes and tweaks until we are all settled.

Could I please ask therefore that you hold off on reporting anything but major bugs and shortcomings today, Monday, as many will be known about and being fixed.

Here's a short introduction. You are now using software called Xenforo, instead of the old VBulletin system that we have used for the last few years. Much is the same, but quite a lot of small details are of course different.

These are the must knows:

- Private Messages are now called Conversations and you get to them, more or less as before, in the top right. They're are similar to PMs but more suited to communications between multiple users. Invite as many contributors as you like to your Conversations and you'll find that you have your own private forum.

EDIT: last 50 now called "What's New"

- Image upload is a huge improvement, but has a short learning curve. To use it click on "Upload a File" below the box where you write your post. You can then choose to insert the file into the post as a thumbnail or the full image.

- No more mobile theme. The site is responsive and will work well on phones and tablets.

- Notifications in the top right tell you iof someone has replied to or quoted your posts, liked a post and so on. You can change your setting for these in your notification preferences

- Quick Nav
    . Use this symbol near the top right of each page to get a pop-up quick nav box.
    - Ranks and Points Messages. Ranks are set up to work as before, but there is a little delay before it happens. When you visit the site and login the site will give you a number of points according to numbers of posts, which will award a rank and medals as before. This happens on a hourly basis so you may have to wait for up to an hour for it to happen, and you will get strange messages telling you that you've been awarded points.

- Usernames and passwords. Are the same. If you've lost your password there is a good password recovery tool.

- Donations medals / Ad-free subscriptions. Not fully implemented yet.

- User groups not implemented yet. We will discuss these in a separate thread in the coming days.

- Reviews same.

- Gallery organisation. The gallery is far better than the old crappy one, but it is differently organised and that means that all 'albums' are created by me (as I did the import from the old system). We will reorganise it in the coming days / weeks.

That'll do for now! I hope you like the new software.
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2014
    • Like Like x 2
  2. - Avatars - import doesn't seem to have been complete.
  3. tiddlyoggy

tiddlyoggy War Hero Book Reviewer

Don't want to drip, but any chance of the "last 50" being restored? Now I have to work for a living I don't have time to trawl the threads and I always found last 50 to be a quick way of scanning through.
    • Like Like x 2
  4. Tiddly, the "What's New" button on the top tool bar seems to do pretty much what the "Last 50" button did.
  5. Yup, spot on. It's just a rename that makes it more clear to the uninitiated what it does. The paging also works now - the old VBulletin search used to tell you that there were X pages of results, but visiting X or X-1 normally produced blank pages.
  6. oldbaldy

oldbaldy Badgeman Moderator

For some reason when I log on it automatically logs me into chat.
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. One thing this new version has improved on - when I log into ARRSE, it opens it as a new tab now when previously it replaced the RR on the same tab, so I no longer have to make a duplicate tab and then click on the link. Hooray!
  8. You never had to do that. Right click, "open in new tab"?
  9. There's the easy way, and then there's the British way!
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Not just me then - I'd also noticed that I am always on the list of chatters. Another low priority one.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Guns

Guns War Hero Moderator

Hello, some may know I am a Mod on ARRSE and was part of the testing team for the change over there. I have been given Mod rights in this forum and am avaiable to answer questions and help out users.

For Moderators I can also talk you through the moderator functions.

Please use this thread for requests about the new software only.
  12. tiddlyoggy

tiddlyoggy War Hero Book Reviewer

Thanks Ballistic.
  13. oldbaldy

oldbaldy Badgeman Moderator

Just looked at the who was online list & I was the only one currently online who was shown in chat.
  14. HHH

HHH Midshipman

@Good CO
    Are you interested in any differences between ARRSE & Rum Ration?
  15. Yes please!
  16. Ageing_Gracefully

Ageing_Gracefully War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Well, on ARRSE it is mainly civvies pretending to be squaddies
    While on Rum Ration it is mainly civvies pretending to be Jolly Jacks.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
  17. And which category do you feel that you fit into?
    • Like Like x 1
  18. Can't we just change the name to "toys out of the pram" and just have an RN thread? It's the way it's going The RFA fleet must be pre war size to employ all these posters

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2014
    • Funny Funny x 1
  19. exJenny

exJenny War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  20. exJenny

exJenny War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

So far so good with the site now I'm back on dry land. I've had the occasional crash on Safari when trying to log in but Tapatalk is working as before. Dii hasn't taken to it, but it was pants with the old one.