Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Afghan Footballer

Longgone

Midshipman
The Liverpool manager flies to Kabul to watch a young Afghani play football. He is suitably impressed and arranges for the player to come over.
Two weeks later Liverpool are 4-0 down to Chelsea with only 20 minutes left. The manager gives the young Afghani striker the nod, and on he goes.

The lad is a sensation. He scores 5 goals in 20 minutes and wins the game for Liverpool . The fans are delighted, the players and the coach are delighted and the media love the new star.
When the player comes off the pitch he phones his mum to tell her about his first day in English football.

'Hello mum, guess what?' he says 'I played for 20 minutes today, we were 4-0 down but I scored 5 and we won. Everybody loves me, the fans, the media, they all love me.'

'Wonderful,' says his mum, 'Let me tell you about my day -- Your father got shot in the street, your sister and I were ambushed and assaulted, your brother has joined a gang of looters and all while you tell me that you were having a great time.'

The young lad is very upset. 'What can I say mum, but I'm really sorry.'

'Sorry?!!! Sorry?!!!' says his mum, 'It's your fault we came to Liverpool in the first place!'

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
MoD_RSS Supporting an Afghan-owned, Afghan-led peace process MoD News 0
MoD_RSS More Afghan interpreters to move to the UK as scheme extends MoD News 0
MoD_RSS More Afghan interpreters who risked their lives supporting British troops to begin new lives in the UK MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UK statement to the Solutions Strategy for Afghan Refugees High Level Meeting MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UK welcomes US deal with the Taliban and calls for Afghan leaders to seize opportunity to end decades of conflict MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Lord Ahmad statement following the Afghan presidential election MoD News 0
MoD_RSS FCO statement on the conclusion of intra-Afghan dialogue in Doha MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Afghan interpreters to be able to bring their family to the UK MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Afghan security and stability remains top of UK agenda MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Afghan National Army Officer Academy celebrates 10th graduation MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: British military chief welcomes largest number of female Afghan officer graduates MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: PM meeting with Afghan President Ashraf Ghani: 9 July 2016 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Britain helps train record number of Afghan Army officers MoD News 0
MrIndeed Help a fellow Afghan War hero whoses suffering from cancer from eviction by the council! Petitions 20
babygravy Marine convicted of Afghan murder named Current Affairs 34
soleil Telegraph: "'Lawrence Of Helmand' Marine Awarded Afghan Gallantry Medal" The Corps 3
scouse Soldiers and Veterans suicides exceed Afghan toll Current Affairs 19
MoD_RSS News story: Fusiliers hand Helmand checkpoint to Afghan Police MoD News 1
MoD_RSS News story: Navy reservist creates 'Afghan Archers' on Helmand radio Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 2
silverfox Armed Drones in Afghan flown from RAF Waddington Current Affairs 107
MoD_RSS News story: Afghan Defence Minister visits Sandhurst MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: New Afghan explosive experts complete their training MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Royal Marines teach reconnaissance skills to Afghan soldiers MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Navy pilots swap Afghan desert for Norway snow MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Top Afghan commander helps prepare UK forces for deployment MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Afghan forces take the lead in British-supported operation in Helmand MoD News 1
soleil Guardian: "Political Support For Afghan Campaign Has 'Departed Stage Left'" Current Affairs 11
soleil Portraits From The Afghan Frontline Show How Female Troops Are Winning Hearts & Minds Current Affairs 18
soleil Telegraph: "Tony Christie Launches Afghan Heroes Charity Song" The Corps 2
W Any chance of getting to Afghan? The Fleet 9
soleil Pompey News: "Queen Honours Navy Lawyer For Afghan Role" The Fleet 1
soleil Mirror: "Cheryl Cole Flies Into Afghan Warzone To Meet British Heroes" Bases / Shore Est 26
MoD_RSS Royal Marines help secure Afghan village Current Affairs 0
MoD_RSS Royal Marines help Afghan locals pitch in Current Affairs 0
MoD_RSS Royal Marines celebrate Eid with Afghan soldiers Current Affairs 0
MoD_RSS IN PICTURES: Navy helicopters 'bag' Afghan drugs Current Affairs 0
MoD_RSS Military stabilisation teams benefiting Afghan lives Current Affairs 0
MoD_RSS Afghan soldiers beat Royal Marines in Helmand football match Current Affairs 2
MoD_RSS MOD personnel move Afghan Police development forward Current Affairs 0
soleil Herald: "Final Afghan Call For 3 Commando Brigade" The Corps 1
MoD_RSS Royal Marines hand control of checkpoints to Afghan Police Current Affairs 0
MoD_RSS Royal Marines and ANA adapt to reassure Afghan community Current Affairs 0
MoD_RSS Female teams help win confidence of Afghan women Current Affairs 10
MoD_RSS British and Afghan forces build on success of joint operation Current Affairs 0
MoD_RSS British and Afghan forces find Taliban bomb factory Current Affairs 1
MoD_RSS Royal Marines work with Afghan Forces to protect their communities Current Affairs 0
MoD_RSS Bright future for Afghan village liberated by British troops Current Affairs 0
MoD_RSS UK troops help Afghan Army seize insurgents and weapons Current Affairs 0
MoD_RSS Royal Marines teach Afghan colleagues rugby Current Affairs 0
Scouse_Castaway Afghan pilot 'kills six Nato soldiers at Kabul airport' Current Affairs 3