The AFCO lost my Security Check Form...

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by alex123, Dec 23, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Could this damage my chances of getting in / delay my intake???
    Does this sort of thing happen often?
    I'm a bit worried 'cos i think they think that i didn't bother to send the form in?

Btw i've passed all tests etc and did the PJFT in 10:13.

But today i've just got a letter saying that the DVA hasn't recieved my security check and that i'm going to have to send another one to the afco.

Its annoying 'cos i actually handed my security form direct to the afco to make sure it got there, rather than posting it in.

Now it looks like my security form wont be in till january, and i've been told the intake for ETWE is in april.

Could my start date be delayed?
  2. Obviously it's going to delay it, by whatever amount of time has been wasted between you handing it in, it not going out and you having to redo it and wait for it to then get sent off. Security checks can supposedly take between 6 weeks and 6 months to clear, but mine was done within a month.

I doubt very much it would delay your start date.
  3. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

We can bid for an allocated entry date before security clearance is granted, so it will not delay your entry. Most AFCOs shut last friday & re-open on 05 January, so unless you completed & returned a new form on friday little is going to occur.

As to whether it happens often- it's not unknown for candidates to lose or fail to return a form & sometimes they are attributed to being lost in the post, but it's relatively unusual for it to vanish once in the AFCO as it has your name on it.

You can gain more detail & even download a duplicate security questionnaire here

If you follow the AFCO link below, you could even complete it & email the completed form to your AFCO.

The only time it may delay your entry is if you have former military service as it is not possible to get a provisional entry date until you are security cleared.
  4. No definitive answer here but...

My eldest lad attended the RN acquaint course run at Caledonia earlier this month. His start date for New Entry as a ET (WE)(SM) is 5th Jan 09.
    At this acquaint he was told his security clearance still hadn't been returned, BUT it shouldn't affect his start date...

Make what you want from this!

Edited: NS pipped me at the post!!
  5. Could you tell me why that is. Hard for my brain to get around the fact that if you were cleared once then why is it harder the second time around?
  6. Ninja_Stoker

It's not harder at all, but a lot of individuals with former service wrongly think it should be quicker & easier to join a second time - it isn't.

There are simply more checks that must be completed because there maybe MoD Police investigations/prosecutions, service disciplinary issues, Medical Issues, civil disciplinary issues, problems with finance within the service, adverse reports etc. Most often the reason that someone wants to rejoin is because they have financial problems- itself a bar to entry.

The tip, as always is to transfer "In Service" whilst still serving otherwise it takes far longer.

The other problem with "rejoins" is that it involves an awful lot more administration to process & very often the individual goes all the way through the process then suddenly remembers why they left and thinks..."Nah, can't be bothered". For example, my AFCO is processing 39 re-joins. We expect, going by previous recent history, about a third will actually join - that said, now jobs are scarcer that may increase.
  7. Understood. Thanks again Ninja.
  8. This one to you mainly ninja, Do you mean rejoin as in from the navy back to the navy after leaving?

My point being that i am ex army so what will be going on with the security clearance there? i never had and problems at all if that helps?
  9. Ninja_Stoker

It means a re-join from any service into the RN or RM, cannot be allocated a joining date until full Security Clearance (SC) has been granted.

The RN & RM are ALL cleared to at least secret, unlike some RAF & Army trades. If you had full SC from former service (RN,RM,Army or RAF) and are rejoining within 12 months of leaving, it remains valid & can be transferred over.
  10. Orite cheers ninja guess ill be having a wait on my hands then! Great stuff! oh well, if i do make it ill be going to raleigh like a machine!
  11. And do you want to know why we are all cleared to secret?????
    Sorry If I told you I would have to kill you Merry Xmas!! :rambo: