The advantages and disadvantages of joining the Royal Navy?

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by luvly_jubbly, Sep 14, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Following on from my "Thinking of joining the navy - Help needed" thread..I was wondering if you could tell me all your advantages and disadvantages of when you joined the navy?

Also I really want to join the Navy but I dont have a clue what to do? What is the best jobs in the Navy? I fancy one where I can actually travel the world but when I come out the Navy I will have gained skills/experience to not struggle finding jobs. I am also very good with technology for whatever that helps with jobs etc? Im also not afraid to get down and work with my hands?

Thanks in advance!

2. Re: The advantages and disadvantages of joining the Royal Na

Advantages - too many to list
    Disadvantages - not many and not worth listing.

Sorted

Also going by what you seem interested in I'd either go for ET ME or ET WE as they get to travel more at sea and has workings with technology

3. Re: The advantages and disadvantages of joining the Royal Na

Can you explain what ET ME and ET WE is?

4. ME is Marine Engineering Branch WE is Weapon Engineering Branch

Should be self explanatory and from there you can do some research on them

5. FFS pal, get your lazy arse in gear and go find out yourself. There's plenty of threads on here about the different trades in the RN.

6. Advantages- Plenty
    Disadvantages- Wrens

7. :roll: I would rephrase your last sentence!!!! dont want to let Thingy 42 and Sussex 2 get the wrong ideas :lol: :lol: :lol:

8. Guns

Guns War Hero Moderator

Advantage - You could serve in an LPD in Guz
    Disadvantage - You could serve in a CVS in Pompy

Simple really.

9. Re: The advantages and disadvantages of joining the Royal Na

I am in my last year of me degree and have decided to join the RN. My folks thought I would go on a complete a masters degree and become a teacher and settle down...they were less than pleased to hear I wanted to try something different and go travel and meet new people in the RN - it sounds like a fantastic life and a fellow friend of mine who served as a QA Nurse in the late 60's recalls it the best time of her life and is still in contact with the friends she made 40 years ago! Start thinking about a decent proactive life you'll have learning new things and having a great time with great people - Personally, I can't wait to get out of Uni life and begin at Raleigh! FYI - PJFT next week!!

10. Re: The advantages and disadvantages of joining the Royal Na

When i was serving in the marines a mate of mine had a masters in politics from Oxford and both of his parents were lectures at Oxford. No one could understand when he want to join up but like you wanted a change. No idea what he is doing now though.

11. **** being a steward

12. Re: The advantages and disadvantages of joining the Royal Na

Advantages - Wrens
    Disadvantages - Plenty

• Like Like x 1
  13. Re: The advantages and disadvantages of joining the Royal Na

Looking at the time you posted your last post, it was slap bang in the middle of warship.
    Why,?...you missed some lubbly totty sun showering and it was quite romantic with the odd sword fight going on in the background, probably just a small dispute over grog or a pash.
    I know,......I'm an old romantic but well........... :D :D :wink:

14. Cause the Gadget show was on.

15. No if you look at the real time, and then look what time comes on the post time its an hour behind.
    Did you understand that, I'm not sure I did and I wrote it .......I think 8O

16. Wrens are a disadvantage of joining the Royal Navy? Or did you mean, they're a disadvantage to the Royal Navy?

17. At least 3 quotes about WRNS and no fun Police yet!!!!

18. Re: The advantages and disadvantages of joining the Royal Na

I watched Warship too last night - first time I've managed to watch it! Was great!

19. Re: The advantages and disadvantages of joining the Royal Na

Yes it was, quite an eye opener, shows that times have changed quite a bit, but Jack and jenny don't seem to have.
    Gives me an insight as to what my baby is up to, although \I don't want to know too much on that score, Too much information and all that. 8O :oops: :D :wink: