The 1st Lt

Discussion in 'History' started by dondon, Mar 1, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. This may seem a bone question and i feel a prat for asking it after serving 24 years in the Andrew , one of the girls at work wants know why the 1st Lt is known as The Jimmy , i have looked in various Naval dictionaries but cant for the life of me come up with the answer , did find out that the Jimmy's Legs is the MAA , kinnell learn something every day , any help appreciated , thanks in advance . :roll:
  2. Isnt it to do with James the first of England ( Bastards son) :oops: ???
  3. I did think of James the 1st but cant find any referance to him ???
  4. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

Pull up a sandbag. It's all down to historical names. Back in the day when there was only one Navy the chief Admiral was called Noah. He'd fought a long and often thankless task to get his Navy, the locals often ridiculed him for his perseverance but he was assured by the big fella to keep faith and persevere.

Noah started the naval tradition of the press gang and was rumoured to have taken virtually all sorts on board as crew. Amongst his many press ganged crew were a few shining stars like the racing snakes who he made look good whilst performing virtually no duties, the donkeys who did most of the work, the pigs who watched and grunted allot and the wrens who fluttered and made the place homely. Amongst this assortment of creatures was a group who did fcuk all but carp and moan they were the crickets who whined relentlessly and where given the title "jimmy" due to the corruption of the saying "jee mean" in "jee mean it's not done yet?
  5. When in doubt, consult the oracle. According to Rick Jolly in Jackspeak:

As good as any other explanation, I suppose.

6. Sounds good to me , cheers mate :wink: