The 15 hundreds-- Domestic facts

Discussion in 'Diamond Lil's' started by barrackstanchion, Oct 31, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Instead of just sitting there trying to remember the name of that sweet young thing you gave one to in the phone box outside St Levan's Gate Try these.
    Why were tomatoes thought poisonous for 400 years?
    What are the origins of "upper crust"?
    Thresh-hold What is that all about?
    Dirt poor--?
    Raining cats and dogs?
    Throwing the baby out with the bath water?
    All originated in the early 16th century but do you know why?

2. 1 Because they were red
    2 The rich people had the upper part of a loaf of bread and the lower order had the burnt hard bottom crust
    3 The threshings of wheat ,i.e. straw was used as a floor covering and a lump of wood stopped it going outside.
    4 /5/6. Dunno!

3. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

WTF???

4. Would you believe there was a question about the 1500s. Honest I know it is Hallowe'en but ..O'h f...

5. Is it one of they clever Oirish quizes? They say the answer and you have to tell them the question?

6. Are these some of em....

Next time you are washing your hands and complain because the water temperature isn't just how you like it, think about how things used to be. Here are some facts about the 1500's:

:bball:

Or these... http://www.snopes.com/language/phrases/1500.asp

7. We always have cakes at 1500

8. Most skimmers dont work after 1500, hense the phrase "Lazy skimmer b**tards!"

9. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Shh! Did someone say "work'?! 8O

10. Feck all wrong with the Oirish matey. The Guinness goes down well over here. Only bad pint I ever had was up North where the loonies live!!

11. Feck all wrong with the Oirish matey. The Guinness goes down well over here. Only bad pint I ever had was up North where the loonies live!!

12. Irish Quizes have to be like that so'as you English types can understand them better.

SF

13. After SSE, practice number 3 persisted with the Victorian Navy, except the wooden tubs were filled with cold water and the water went blue from the dye in the serge uniforms discolouring the wearers' bodies... well actually the practice persisted into the 1920s, for ratings only of course!

14. So Gordon Brown's Budget was an Orish Budget then: he announced raising the IHT threshold first then thought of why he had hadn't actually pinched the Conservatives policies later? :biggrin: