Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

THAT'S HIM AWAY

whitemouse said:
Tas-ape said:
Dhahran ain't changed much. Dammam is about the same, but Al-Khobar has had a major re-fit. Remember the road from the old airport, (Yes they got a new one, it's only a bigger shed than the old one) well they have all been re-laid into a three laner on both sides. Big American type, over priced Malls every where. Lots of shiny shops.
Do you remeber the Al-Shullah mall in the middle of Crow-bar well that was burned to the deck a few years ago......suspected Insurance job???
If you ever ventured North to Ras-Tanura (Nasty-Rasty) it's a bigger mess than twenty years ago. It just seems to get worse.
I am based, whilst inshore, about two-hundred and forty kliks North in a place called Tan-a-jib, which is about another two-hundred klicks South of Kuwait. Another shit-hole totally isolated. But as I said previously it's better than a Giro. 8)

Old Airport? that was the new one when I arrived there in 79 - that was when I was at Dhahran, Riraydh was 83 on. Had the privilige of being shooed away by King Khalid's personal guards when he arrived there. Does the hotel still exist near the main gate ? Used to use that for tea and telephone calls home, and gave letters to homegoing Brits before the RSAF stopped it all.
Remember CrowBar well - used to buy all my tapes there at a Rat a time.
Tried the Siddiqui ? - I tried it the once....... a bit of a brain blast for the following months, stuck to homebrew or Barbican the rest of the time.

You weren't far from the Iraqi Army in Kuwait then?

Hi T-A & WM,
God you guys are bringing back some memories of the old Sid!! Was nursing in Riyadh 96-2000 at the National Guard Hospital. Siddiqui use to change your personality! We use to soak dewberrys in it and it would taste like gin. I would stick to the home-brew as well. Use to make a mean red! Dhahran airport was still one big tin shed the last time I was there (99'). Had a friend who was a neo-natal nurse, who worked for Aramco. Compound had a whole channel dedicated to aussie programmes, so I was dead jealous! Ex-OH was BaE. Spent majority of his time at Al Kharj on the RSAF base. Later based at Izzy 1 in Riyadh. Izzy 1,2,3 & 4 were the places to be on the weekends. Always good craic. The Summer Balls were always fun-dressed to the nines in 40 degree heat!! I miss the diving in Jeddah though, some of my best memories. Oh God, going to have to go and dig the old photos out of the loft now!! Cheers. Pints xx

He didn't flash the yellow photo copied one by chance did he? He harped on for the whole six months of Sultan about not being able to have his proper one due to being underage. Make sure he stays off the Guiness in future, (ask him about our night out in London). Hope he's having a good time down in Yeovil, I wonder if he's been bored to death by the joining routine yet.

Geordie_Git said:
He didn't flash the yellow photo copied one by chance did he? He harped on for the whole six months of Sultan about not being able to have his proper one due to being underage. Make sure he stays off the Guiness in future, (ask him about our night out in London). Hope he's having a good time down in Yeovil, I wonder if he's been bored to death by the joining routine yet.

No, it was the oficial plastic credit card type, however, the lassie who was serving is just out of school though. The wife has since had a wee word with the gaffer who assures us it was a misunderstanding and won't hsppen again. Fair enough! :frustrated:

aussiepint said:
So are you still in Saudi T-A?

Aye,
In fact I have just rolled in to the orifice, local time 06:40. A Saturday morning is a bit like a Monday in the U.K. as the local wekend runs from (my comany) Wednesday at 11:00 when all the boyo's foxtrot oscar, until 07:00 (local) this morning.
I have got another sixty-four hours left, (not that I am counting) then I am away for three weeks. Will hit the UK momentarily, then it's off to the States for the wife and I's twenty-fifth year of confinement (Silver). Back in on the twenty-first. On the following Saturday we are having an early birthday party for (Scott) as .I will be away for the official one. And would you believe it, on the twenty-sixth of June I will be coming back to work on my fiftieth birthday. I really feel a blow-out on the M-4 coming up. :pukel:

Tas-ape said:
aussiepint said:
So are you still in Saudi T-A?

Aye,
In fact I have just rolled in to the orifice, local time 06:40. A Saturday morning is a bit like a Monday in the U.K. as the local wekend runs from (my comany) Wednesday at 11:00 when all the boyo's foxtrot oscar, until 07:00 (local) this morning.
I have got another sixty-four hours left, (not that I am counting) then I am away for three weeks. Will hit the UK momentarily, then it's off to the States for the wife and I's twenty-fifth year of confinement (Silver). Back in on the twenty-first. On the following Saturday we are having an early birthday party for (Scott) as .I will be away for the official one. And would you believe it, on the twenty-sixth of June I will be coming back to work on my fiftieth birthday. I really feel a blow-out on the M-4 coming up. :pukel:

Bill,

Congradulations to you and your wife on your 25th wedding anniversary. Happy Birthday to Scott and of course your good self turning 50 (you old git!). Just don't go celebrating on the day with a siddiqui cocktail. I did that once on one of my birthdays out in Saudi, and got home 3 days later!
Have a good one :thumright:

Pinta xx

Latest Threads