Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

THAT'S HIM AWAY

Tas-Ape, the new commodore of Raleigh has changed it back to "passing out" rather than this "passing in" bollocks. Glad to hear he is enjoying himself, I'm sure that £1000 pay packet will go quickly in the NAAFI. :lol:
 
sandygib said:
Tas Ape - mines away too now. He is also in Fisgard starboard division and now in week 2. He says that a fisgard starboard class who won the trophy are really helping the new intake alot. They are keen to see them do well and retain the trophy so are giving the newbies alot of tips. Adam reckons this has made all the difference to them and are already way ahead of the port lot! Must admit that the first two weeks have been tough - mines a 16 year old baby, apparently one of the few young uns in his intake. That said he seems to be buckling down to it alright - once he got over the first bit of homesickness. Just looking forward to getting to week 5 I'll start feeling more confident then and will book the hotel for passing out parade!

Do they mix Juniors with Adult trainees these days then? 8O 8O

If Tim Garden gets his amendment through at the Third Reading of the Armed Forces Bill that will certainly have to change.

Glad he's shaking down Sandy. Soon he and dad will be spinning dits and you'll be needing to get away on your own to escape them! :lol:
 
Always_a_Civvy said:
sandygib said:
Tas Ape - mines away too now. He is also in Fisgard starboard division and now in week 2. He says that a fisgard starboard class who won the trophy are really helping the new intake alot. They are keen to see them do well and retain the trophy so are giving the newbies alot of tips. Adam reckons this has made all the difference to them and are already way ahead of the port lot! Must admit that the first two weeks have been tough - mines a 16 year old baby, apparently one of the few young uns in his intake. That said he seems to be buckling down to it alright - once he got over the first bit of homesickness. Just looking forward to getting to week 5 I'll start feeling more confident then and will book the hotel for passing out parade!

Do they mix Juniors with Adult trainees these days then? 8O 8O

If Tim Garden gets his amendment through at the Third Reading of the Armed Forces Bill that will certainly have to change.

What bollocks!? :? (I don't mean what you just said is bollocks AAC; I mean the amendment is!)

16 year olds (but not 17 yrs and above) to be given a different kind of care? What difference does a few months make?

What a logistical nightmare. That's all the RN's warships illegal in one fell swoop - they don't have messdecks specifically for anyone aged 16.

I really, truly, do not see what the point of that particular amendment is. There's nothing wrong with the present system at all. It's just postponing the 16yo's introduction to messdeck life for another few months.

In any case, all Raleigh recruits are referred to among staff as "juniors" or "kids".

Yours confusedly :? :? :?

Dunkers.
 
Dunkers, the purpose of his amendment is really designed to protect 16 year olds in the Army, if we are honest about it, after the Deepcut debacle. But the Minister agreed at the end of the Second Reading debate that Tim Garden (who I still think of as an RAF Group Captain from the 1980s from my RUSI days!) could introduce this at the Third Reading stage. For the RN it does appear to be problematic, but I must be honest until I came on RR I assumed they were still segregated for their own safety (from older matelots... you know, those Golden Rivet loving Stoker types) as they certainly were in the past. In the case of the Army & possibly the RAF I believe he has a strong case. In fact I've supported his amendment since its inception. I am neutral in the RN's case only because I don't know whether it has caused any problems with bullying, abuse, etc.

Steve.
 
Always_a_Civvy said:
Tas-Ape. What the Vanguard Trophy awarded for?

Not too sure, but will find out when I see Scott next month. This is how it goes, he calls his mother up on his mobile and says give us a call. She calls and gets all the good news, but gets so emotional at the end of the call all the info goes out the window.
I get home from Saudi at the end of this month, and I will get the SP from him first hand and stick a posting in.
Reference his wages, he texted me the other night to say that when he gets a leave or weekend, the Guinness is on him.....which I thought was nice. 8)
 
Well from my point of view I agree with dunkers - what bollocks. A few months would not make any difference at all and just put off 16 year olds recruiting in the first place. If you are going to be treated differently and kept away from the others, whats the point? Might as well wait until you're 17. To be honest I was quite glad that his class was a good mix across the ages. The older ones can help the youngsters out with the homesickness etc and certainly that has already been the case in his group.

That said, if he was joining the army my viewpoint would definitely be different - but then again, he had our blessing and encouragement to join the navy at 16, that would not have been the case if it had been the army and I like to think that that would have been enough to make him think twice and wait until 18 at least.
 
I joined at sixteen and a quarter, went to Mercury as a Junior with the majority of others in my class being Adults. Joined my first ship as a Junior, I was the only one onboard, I was treated the same as everyone else, none of the protectionism of bigger ships with Juniors Messes, another upside being that there was no regime in place for the annoying things like Cinderella leave.

I was a big strapping lad in those days (not) and the only rough treatment I received was from the hands of the Landlady of the Breakwater Hotel on Portland, who after buying me a drink for my birthday, found out that I was 17, She then picked me up, literally, did I say that I was a big lad?, and threw me out onto the pavement. (all was forgotten and forgiven the next night and I was back in there drinking).

Did it do me any harm, I don't think so, I wasn't bullied, sodomised or mistreated in any other way, in fact I was well looked after, by all concerned and taught a hell of a lot more than I believe I would have been in a big ship enviroment, with its Junior Mess set up.

I left the Old Brocklesby convinced that small ships were for me, was drafted to my biggest ship, the frigate Ulster and then to Boats, I did go onto an Aircraft Carrier once, just to pick up the mail for the boat I was on at the time. I met a very strange man there, He seemed to be of very low intelligence with some sort of hair fixation, I believe He said he was a Leading Regulator, I explained that my Skipper was happy with longer hair and had no problems with the striped tee shirt I was wearing, I invited Him back to the Boat to discuss it with the Skipper, this invitation was not taken up and He wandered off. It certainly confirmed my early decision to be a small boat man was the correct one for me.
 
On a personal level I would not have been keen on it when I joined the ROC at 16. Although it obviously was nothing like the Forces being only an auxiliary organisation which I went to after school, when I went on training weeks away there was no seperate accomodation for boys, everyone was together from the age of 15 to 55! It had its benefits too. I was the youngest on my Monitoring Post by 8 years so got spoiled by all the adults. :D :D :D

I would not have been a happy little bunny being segregated into a seperate Juniors Unit. After all, I thought I was very grown up! :lol:
 
Juniors went through basic with adults in 99/2000, can't see why they would change it. It ain't about age in basic.
 
From wifey:
Last night they had another kit muster in full rig. Scott passed his with a comment about his boots/shoes. As I always said if an officer walks past and says nothing, you pass. If an officer walks past and gives you a comment Ie, nice boots nice uniform, it's a compliment. However, four ratings were picked up over their foot wear. After the event the training staff had them all strip their boots/shoes back down to leather and start again. Hee hee hee :twisted:
 
Tas-ape said:
From wifey:
Last night they had another kit muster in full rig. Scott passed his with a comment about his boots/shoes. As I always said if an officer walks past and says nothing, you pass. If an officer walks past and gives you a comment Ie, nice boots nice uniform, it's a compliment. However, four ratings were picked up over their foot wear. After the event the training staff had them all strip their boots/shoes back down to leather and start again. Hee hee hee :twisted:

I wouldn't like to be one of the four failed ratings tonight... :twisted:
 
That's exactly what I was thinking, however, I don't think for a minute it would be the same as in my day, when the four ratings would have had a quick introduction to the static tanks at the back of Benbow. Scott was saying that people with disputes are usually taken aside by other class members and "Taught", which normally means it is done for them. In fact the last time we spoke, just prior to me coming to work there was one laddie actually offering a tenner for anyone who would do his kit/shoes, saying that when he got on his "boat" there would be no more of this shit. Ho-hum the youth of today.
Anyway he's got roughly forty-hours till the big day, and when the wife call in I will give you all the SP. :p
 
Tas-ape said:
That's exactly what I was thinking, however, I don't think for a minute it would be the same as in my day, when the four ratings would have had a quick introduction to the static tanks at the back of Benbow. Scott was saying that people with disputes are usually taken aside by other class members and "Taught", which normally means it is done for them. In fact the last time we spoke, just prior to me coming to work there was one laddie actually offering a tenner for anyone who would do his kit/shoes, saying that when he got on his "boat" there would be no more of this shit. Ho-hum the youth of today.
Anyway he's got roughly forty-hours till the big day, and when the wife call in I will give you all the SP. :p

I think the lad in question needs to be backclassed to week 1 and personally supervised by the modern equivalent of a PO Junior: a POAB2 perhaps? :twisted: :twisted:
 

Latest Threads

New Posts

Top