"Thatcher: The Downing Street Years" - BBC2 - Saturday, August 24th 2013 - 20:10

Discussion in 'History' started by soleil, Aug 24, 2013.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I caught the first episode of this repeated series last weekend.

BBC iPlayer - Thatcher: The Downing Street Years: Woman at War

Towards the end of it (58:10), the narrator says:

"The battle with the Wets had tested the PM's mettle and she had demonstrated her ability to fight and defeat her political opponents. Another quite unexpected conflict was soon to test her once more, this time, in the international arena; she would emerge from it victorious and more dominant than ever".

There are a few seconds of Falklands' footage at this point and I would imagine that there is more in the next episode this evening; I can't remember just how much there is, but it must surely be included.

BBC Two - Thatcher: The Downing Street Years, Best of Enemies

Last edited: Aug 24, 2013
  2. Watched the show.....my conclusion , was that she was barking mad!!!!!

3. Don,t get me started! F. F. S.

4. All that bullsh*t myth, about her being a shopkeeper, and a Mother doing the shopping on a budget!!! like in government, for the nation....as Pym said, a Mother knew her budget, so never spent more than was comming in. She Thatcher never knew what the Nations budget was!!!! As she never knew what was comming in or going out!!! ............Quote Pym. Talking about Thatcher she said ."To be loyal means 100% acceptance of Government thinking: any dissent, or even admittance of doubt, is treachery and treason. After nine years as party leader and five as Prime Minister, Margaret Thatcher still asks the question, 'Are you one of us?', by which she means, 'Are you completely free of any doubt as to the utter rightness of everything we are doing?' It will come as no surprise that I am not 'one of us'. It was obvious from the programme, that he number one priority , was to keep the Conservative party in office and get it re elected!!! At any cost!!

Last edited: Aug 26, 2013
    • Like Like x 1