That new Jesters bar in Northwood

Discussion in 'The Quarterdeck' started by Shakey, Mar 6, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. The old bar/NAAFI complex is due to be demolished so they've built a new one.

It's basically a posh portacabin. It cost £half a million apparently and it's expected to last two years whilst something more permanent is built.

It comprises a shop, a coffee bar and a bar.

Went in last night, the opening night, to the bar. It's rubbish. It is like some sort of airport departure lounge. Half decent furniture, no draught beers and lots of bright pin spot lights. No atmosphere at all. Not very big either, though some wooden partitions can be pushed aside to merge the bar with the cafe area.

If it was in Afghanistan or Iraq it would be the mutt's nuts but here, well, it's crap.

Anyone else been in?
  2. Is Purple Ronnies no more?
  3. Purple Ronnies? Galaxy bar? nah mate.
  4. May as well just stay down the hole then.
  5. The Galaxy Bar. Brings back some fond memories for me.

Must admit, the new bar refurbishment does not sound too clever and seems like another of the current 'modern' alco pops bars.
  6. NO DRAUGHT BEERS!!?? I'm sure there must be some sort of law against that, or if there isn't, there should be!

I think that this is bad business planning. As Shakey has mentioned it is a temporary solution, but I've often noticed how 'temporary' solutions have a nasty habit of becoming permanent. I think the only thing left for you Shakey is a minicab into Watford, or a short wander into Northwood town centre. Are there any pubs in Northwood for that matter?
  7. I can see why it's so small as the demand personnel-wise must be less than it was in the 80's and 90's but it's just so sterile, it is honestly like a departure lounge.

They should have done something similar to the killick's and corporal's bar down in Raleigh.
  8. Blurry hell....glad I no longer work there then.
  9. wave_dodger

wave_dodger War Hero Book Reviewer

And the bar is replaced was better because? :wink:

My section is normally the only one keeping the bar full, even on bring a boss. We even drag other sections in and its still empty and without soul.

The new one isn't that bad, draught beer was always pants in Jesters.
  10. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

No one's forcing you to go there! Get a life and get ashore - spend some of that hard-earned London Weighting pay... :lol:
  11. the_matelot

the_matelot War Hero Moderator

Have you ever served at Northwood??? London pay? I fooking wish!!! I'd be back there in a flash!
  12. sgtpepperband

Course I have - so I know that there is more interesting things to do in London than spend the night in some poxy portacabin, and moaning about the fact!

13. the_matelot

the_matelot War Hero Moderator

I think in my time at Northwood (6 months), I went into the Naafi Bar ohhhhh once maybe?? Northwood itself is far far preferable to sitting in that horrendous bar watching the booties thrashing the dance floor.

And the centre of London is only 50 odd minutes away by tube!
  14. Didn't get any London Weighting pay when I was in Northwood. :cry:
  15. sgtpepperband

Yeah, Pusser scrapped a lot of the London perks like Lodging Allowance, when people were raking it in by claiming to be living in penthouse suites and paying £800 a month rent, when in actual fact they were living an a DSS squat in Kilburn for a fiver a month!

16. The VMs lived in onboard accommodation at Northwood. RAs paid their own way to live out. Haven't been to Northwood since 2001 so it might have all changed.
  17. Did I read that right , "Killicks and Corporals have their own bar" what is the world coming to. Soon they will have "mess dress, summer balls and Trafalgar Night Dinners with a guest speaker. Fecking hell how did I ever manage with the Hoolie Bar or The Dockyard Canteen.

18. Yeah Nutty, at Raleigh there is a killick's only bar, but as far as I know it's only at Raleigh where they have this. I think it's to keep them away from the Part 1 trainees and putting bad ideas in their vulnerable young minds.

As for Northwood, well the town centre is crap.

That leaves Watford. Oh dear.

As for London, well spending a fortune for a round of drinks and then a hour on the tube back can hardly be a regular occurence.

I think one thing that has an effect on the amount of people in the bar anywhere nowadays but particularly Northwood is the accommodation. This will probably send old-timers into spasms of fury but get this: the JR accommodation at Northwood is single cabins and en suite. Each room has a TV and a kettle. Oh yeah, and a clock radio. The cleaners come in every weekday and empty your bin and clean the heads.

So why go to the bar when you can sit in your cabin with your X-Box or DVD?

I went along to the bop last night for a bit to see what it was like, it was fairly busy. Still looks like a departure lounge though. :neutral:
  19. Sultan opened a killick's bar in 2005, basically a corner of the NAAFi bar has been pertitioned. One of the reasons for their inception is to bring parity with the other 2 services, where a seperate mess for corporals is more common. Personally I'm against the idea, as I believe its a core role for leaders to actually spend time with the lads. I've certainly never seen more than half a dozen people in the one at Sultan.
  20. We had 2 Killicks messes on the Norfolk (F230) straight out of build, an idea I found very strange.

I wasn't too keen on having to do my own scrubbing out!