That Jock Cpl from the commando TV series

Discussion in 'The Corps' started by chrisjg84, Sep 28, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

?
  1. Jocks,

100.0%
  2. English,

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. The Jock Cpl is A Legend anyone who knows him, get him a pint and pat him on the back, Jock instructors seem like the best, they just seem like like a different breed, more harder..... :x

2. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

Is this love or lust I detect?

3. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

It is indeed interesting that someone from Ireland appears to be stirring it between the English & Scottish.

Just hope it doesn't deteriorate further.

4. The current series on TV (ITV 1 Thursday Night) shows that RM training is hard, 99% - effoer required and 1%brains- not required.

Bootnecks - gotta hand it to em - cos they dont know if they are allowed to touch it!

5. Fly

Before you mock the intelligence of a Recruit in the Royal Marines, perhaps you would like to re-read your post and sort out the grammar and spelling mistakes first. Knob.

6. You break them, then make them, that is what Royal does.

7. I would reconsider your opinions matey if you knew what some of the ex-booties who frequent this site had in the way of quals/skills. Might also want to check out a bloke called Alan Hinkes. He's climbed the worlds 14 highest mountains sometimes with just one sherpa, sometimes alone. oh and he's a Royal Marines Reservist!!

8. Thats what every service does, just the Royals build em better

9. Personally I was amazed by the number of RM's I met who had good A-levels or degrees and could have gone to Sandhurst, but preferred to be a normal Royal Marine. Total respect.

10. CORRECTION BELFAST IS NOT IRELAND And you can have it!!!!!!!!

11. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

Going back to the original question, why no entry on the poll for Paddies, Taffs or our brethren from Kernow?

12. Ninja_Stoker

CONTRIBUTOR MODE:

I stand corrected: Northern Ireland, not Eire.

Humble apologies, & in the immortal words of the legenday Chuckle Brothers: "To me, to you".

13. To quote a member of the family down here.

Build a f****** great wall round the place and leave them to it load of shite

14. ha ha I dont care what they call the place I am from Scotland but I have chose to live Belfast Because of My missus,

15. Just to join in the quoting game
    Sorry mate there's no such beast as a normal Royal, even our beloved PhD holding Ex Royal likes to play with Noddy in his Hols!!
    NZB

16. Too right!! I got my degree at 38 (well after I left the corps) and am currently looking at Masters options! The Corps has always looked to develop the 'Thinking man's soldier'! :) Looks like someone got confused between Royal and the paras??

17. i think H robb was absolutely right when he said about not wanting to pass blokes out to make up the numbers, that he would only pass out lads who were up to the standard as they would probably be working alongside his oppos in the future. the current standard of blokes we are recieving at 45 at the mo is dogshit, i think more training teams would be well to think along his mentality

18. Ninja_Stoker

An interesting observation.

Would it surprise you to learn that there are probably more fails at PRMC than before & if anything the standards of selection are more rigorous than before? I would accept that there may have been a slackening of standards at PRMC which inevitably led to more fails during Recruit Training. I firmly believe this is no longer the case since the 3 mile run was moved to Day 1 of PRMC & weeded out the ill-prepared from the outset.

Of course that's an inconceivable notion to most as it was always harder in the past than it is now.

The standard of recruits received at commando units is no different, the only difference at unit level, using your comments as a yardstick is the apparent lack of appreciation that the training is ongoing as it was when you joined your first unit.

In years gone by it was certainly less common to complete Recruit Training and be deployed operationally immediately afterwards, as it now appears to be more often the case.

19. good point N_S, but i'm more referring to the attitude of the new joiners rather than their technical ability. You wouldnt have said boo to a goose when you passed out, yet the new joiners of late are very much of the mentality of 'you can't touch me/tell me what to do or i'll get you done for bullying' they seem to forget we're not the boy scouts, and this isn't primary school.

20. Ninja_Stoker

Have to admit that I've come across examples of "attitude" very early in the selection process.

Possibly schooling & parenting is partially attributable as children are encouraged to ask "why" rather than just "do without question".

I'm not sure what the answer is, but I can certainly understand why this would be a problem at unit level. The other issue is we also have to try and encourage them not to leave, so it's a bit of a compromise we end up with.