....that go bump in the night

Chris P

Badgeman
Maybe start a new 'things that go bump in the night' thread, I'm sure many of us have experienced it, quite a regular occurrence in roughers... most explained very easily - like a dirty great piece of 8" steel shaft rolling around in the passageway outside the mess that stokes forgot to stow away or bloody great big goffers hitting the ships crane housing sticking outboard of the hull. Maybe doesn't apply to you slivverry types in long black tubes sneaking around in the depths!!

WreckerL

War Hero
Super Moderator
Maybe start a new 'things that go bump in the night' thread, I'm sure many of us have experienced it, quite a regular occurrence in roughers... most explained very easily - like a dirty great piece of 8" steel shaft rolling around in the passageway outside the mess that stokes forgot to stow away or bloody great big goffers hitting the ships crane housing sticking outboard of the hull. Maybe doesn't apply to you slivverry types in long black tubes sneaking around in the depths!!
Oh yes it does, icebergs are a favourite although there have been other incidents that don't have ice involved. I've been in a couple of "bumps in the night" and everyone reacted the same every time, a quick WTF was that followed by looking up at the deckhead :)

Chris P

Badgeman
or..............maybe in the dark depths things explained NOT so very easily, having read a few published cold war submariners tales I could imagine it would be WTF, I for one would probably be having a movement of the bowels!!

Dusty70

War Hero
HMS Puma 1972, first ship, arctic cod war, things went 'bump in the night' up there - used to nearly shit myself with fear

Action station was 4.5 magazine - me and a steward, no one ever told us what was happening and even left us down there once - had to keep walking around so the condensation on the deck didn't ice up

horrible, horrible time

WreckerL

War Hero
Super Moderator
HMS Puma 1972, first ship, arctic cod war, things went 'bump in the night' up there - used to nearly shit myself with fear

Action station was 4.5 magazine - me and a steward, no one ever told us what was happening and even left us down there once - had to keep walking around so the condensation on the deck didn't ice up

horrible, horrible time
Can't think what was worse, things going bump in the night or left alone in the magazine with a steward :oops:;)