That didn't take long II - Move along the trough

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by wurz, May 30, 2010.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. As fast as you can say "Pierhead jump" or Nelson's toast "A bloody war and swift promotion", the new Sec to the Treasury gets outed by the torygraph too: Capital gains what?

Got to love Clegg's quote from the tv debates at the end of the article:

"There are MPs who flipped one property to the next, buying property, paid by you, the taxpayer, and then they would do the properties up, paid for by you, and pocket the difference in personal profit."
  2. Makes you wonder why they're given the title 'Honourable member'.
  3. That's brilliant! :lol:
  4. And who amongst us wouldn't have used such a loophole if we could have made a profit? It's not nice but it's human nature. I'm not defending what he did, but I know that a lot of people would have done the same if they thought they could get away with it. Bloody hell, how many of us stretched the letter of naval law........ :wink:
  5. T42, the thing is they were meant to have put all this to bed and to have all come clean last year. Hence Cleggs holier than thou speech for the telly. Well it looks like he didn't vet his team very well did he? Probably because they didn't expect to be in a position after the election where anyone would actually notice them.
  6. My point wasn't that the Lib Dems were whiter than white, but could any of us honestly put our hands on our hearts and say we wouldn't use the system to our benefit in the same way?
    David Laws is a very wealthy man, he had no need to claim what he was claiming other than to hide the fact that his "landlord" was in fact his partner. The fact that he felt he had to hide that is a far sadder reflection on our society than anything else.
    We may have equalised a lot of rights for gay people but that doesn't necessarily translate into acceptance in the mainstream. I don't and won't condone what David Laws did, but I do accept that his excuse is plausible. If you think it's easy to be a gay man in 2010, try walking hand in hand with another man through a major UK city. No one should be abused just for who they love.
  7. Shippers, Your first part is what I responded to, yes anyone might have used the same perks but it was meant to be put to bed, obviously not everyone fessed up hence this second Torygraph story.

David Laws is a very wealthy man and if he wanted to keep his private life private the best thing he could have done was to claim NOTHING then there would be no trail for the papers to chase and be able to take the high ground.

Finally this thread is about MP's expenses and perceived double standards over money, particularly with regards to the NEW treasury Sec. At no point in this thread had anyone mentioned sexuality, now if your outing the new ginger jock, then that is a revelation but please keep this on topic and don't try and derail it on the grounds of sexual bigotry and homophoebia.
  8. Erm, he outed himself in his statement when he resigned. :roll:
  9. Erm he hasn't resigned. :roll:

The article I referred to at the start, if you read it which seems unlikely, is about Danny Alexander, the probably straight, definitely married (to a woman) new Chief Sec to the Treasury that was named as the replacement for the now gay ex-Chief Sec David Laws. It has nothing to do with being gay or otherwise. it is about loopholes in tax laws and the behaviour of MPs towards their perks. :violent1:
  10. Blackrat

Blackrat War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Isn't "member" another word for "cock"? Aptly named in my opinion. These people are like children. They screw the system and claim they didn't know it was wrong when they get caught. It always amuses me that these idiots run the country.
  11. It has amused, that one Lib Dem commits Fraud and resigns, the guy who takes over uses a legal loop hole to not pay capital gains even though the party he represents who are part of the government want to get rid of the loop hole and raise CGT to about 40%.

Hmmm two own goals it seems for the MP's of the new government.
  12. I don't think anyone is arguing the leagallity of it, I think it's more so that his very party is wanting to stop it and raise CGT and a member of that party is using that very loop hole and that Clegg made out during his first tv debate his party was squeeky clean.

But I agree legal he's not done anything wrong, I just think his party needs to suck back jack and come out with a new statement pretty quick along the lines of opps not as clean as I thought we were sorry
  13. Seaweed

Seaweed War Hero Book Reviewer

Type 42, the pathetic dribble from David Laws may have been an EXPLANATION but it was NOT an excuse. Probablt many thieves have an explanation (usually self-serving) but one would hope no court would be confused enough to accept this sort of whining. To me this poisonous little toe-rag is a thief, nothing more or less. So also his successor.
  14. I wonder just how many more revelations the Telegraph has, I will need to get some more wool.