That Controversial Advert

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by Blackrat, May 4, 2012.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Blackrat

Blackrat War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Here it is;

What are peoples views?

2. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

The only controversial bit is the strapline: "To compete on English soil, we train on Argentine soil" inferring the Falklands aren't British. No issues with the "homage to the fallen soldiers & war veterans" as that can equally apply to either nation.

Maybe we should film a British warship pumping-out the sewerage treatment holding tanks off the coast of Argentina with the strapline: "Here's a bit more English soil to train with - In case you run out of steam"

• Like Like x 7
  3. Blackrat

It's genius is it not?

In relation to the fallen soldiers and war veterans, i echo your sentiments.

Even so, it would seem someone in the Argentine PR camp is flicking the lion of Albions love spuds with a damp towel.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Isn't that a war memorial he's doing step-ups on? (About 1 min 25 secs into the video).

A tad disrespectful?

5. Must admit to a "twitch" looking at "The Globe" and "Main St" again after 30 years! Arghh! Agree about "homage to the fallen soldiers & war veterans" but must be a bit of an idiot doing pressups on the beach ... too many Argie land mines loafing about!

6. Now that would make a good advert, him jogging down the beach and KABOOM,

Even some of the Argentine press are criticising the ad so this might end up being an Argentine own goal, I assume she's slipping in the polls so's stirring it up in a smoke and mirrors exercise (again).

7. Blackrat

It is indeed. It's the WW1/WWII one.

8. Presumably they paid to travel to the islands - so would have been charged landing fees at the very least, and will be paying for accommodation and food and prozzies at the olympricks so all extra income for the UK (ok and the Ukraine).

For all the wind they (and the BBC) have said about a 1982 rerun they have not replaced any of their losses, far less are any more capable of taking or holding the islands.

9. Seaweed

Seaweed War Hero Book Reviewer

Using the Olympics for political propaganda is offside, but that wouldn't worry the Argentinians.

10. Blackrat

11. The Olympics are all about political propaganda. That's why we have them.

12. Blackrat

I'm hoping that Germany will goose step around the track at the opening ceremony, the Japs start bayonetting the Chinese and the Americans blow everyone sky high with Mr Oppenheimers flashbang.

13. Ninja_Stoker

Actually, reading the comments on the Sky link, there was something I hadn't really considered - the now politicised Argentine Olympic squad are sure to get a rousing welcome in UK. What's the betting the squad will be withdrawn "for safety"?

Probably not the wisest move. Funnily enough, I would bet good money that the majority of those who are actually 'arsed-enough' to take umbrage and take-up a vociferous stance have never been there, let alone fought there.

• Like Like x 1
  14. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

The ad gets up your nose, but, why make a commercial focusing on Losing?

I know you get gongs for coming second but hey, why shout about it?

• Like Like x 5
  16. Nice and mature Argentina, if you can't win the Falklands with force sneak on to them and stamp around. Bearing in mind the UK government has said there won't be discussions unless the Islanders want them, you would think Argentina would try and engage in conversation with the Islanders rather than insult them with this childish prank.

17. Blackrat

They clearly want some kind of reaction. It is extremely childish and provocative, but what do they hope to gain from it?

18. Ninja_Stoker

I'll bet the marketeers are doing cartwheels with their innovative idea....

19. Blackrat

They'll be high fiving each other on a job well done.

On the plus side, it looks a lot cleaner and neater than when i was there in '92. I fancy a trip back to be honest.