Thanks to the crew of HMS Bulwark

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by Bossdog, Jul 29, 2006.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Just thought I'd drop by to thank the crew of HMS Bulwark for their hospitality while i was onboard.

I was one of several Royal Irish Regiment soldiers who joined the ship in Barcelona for a "jolly" on its return sail to the UK. As we all know the ship had to be diverted to Beirut to take part in the NEO. We were offered the opportunity to leave but decided to stay onboard to do what we could alongside the crew and help the EP's. After Phase one of the NEO, Bulwark was further tasked, and myself and the rest of the RIR guys along with some crew flew back to the UK to continue with our own roles.

I'd like to thank everybody on board for making us so welcome. Myself and my colleagues had an amazing time and the experience will always be remembered. I know we knock the Navy from time to time but i was impressed by the professionalism and efficiency of the ships crew, even when they had received the news of being retasked for Beirut. We really felt for them when they received the news, especially when they were so close to home. Leaving the ship as we did i felt guilty that one of the crew couldnt take my place to get home for well deserved leave. Sadly, as a soldier i was unemployable on the ship and this was not possible.

I hope the crew get home soon to see their families, and I would like to wish them well for the future. Everything they did for us was much appreciated, and i can't thank them enough. Godspeed for your return journey home Bulwark.....and thanks again.
  2. Your very welcome Bossdog , the RN is renowned for there hospitality , we had a small detachment of squaddies on HMS Hecla in the first gulf war , played with the Javelin , great bunch of lads they were , we introduced them to the pleasures of CSB :roll: :oops: :lol:
  3. Well you learn something new every day. I didnt know Hecla was in the first Gulf War, I was on her during the Falklands.
    Bossdog thank you for your post I feel sure it it will be reciprocated by Bulwarks ships company.
  4. It's good to hear this type of thing! Hope you had a good time and I hear there are some good people onboard there.
  5. We were I/C of the mine clearing out there , I was casevaced out with a broken leg , stayed in a army field hospital for a couple of weeks [well looked after] before being flown home to RNH Haslar then down to Stonehouse , lived on a steep hill at the time , Fxxxxxxxxg nightmare trying to get up and that on crutches , :oops:
  6. You weren't being naughty when you broke that leg were you, i.e. Tanker surfing???
  7. We were having a wee sorrie in SR mess and decided to play mess rugby at around midnight , mate of mine jumped on my back and my leg just buckled under me , charge chief then tried to force my leg into an ice bucket , Fxxxxxxxxg idiot , the rest is history so to speak :roll:

8. Bossdog, Good to hear you had a good time, I am sure you will also make them welcome for a return visit.

ex_wasp_L2; Hi, I was on Herald during Falklands, do you know of the Survey Ships Association?

We have some good reunions.

Apologies for advertising and hijacking thread :oops:
  9. Cheers for that FF but we were only on Hecla for the duration of the Falklands. I throughly enjoyed my time on Hecla I have to admit
  10. We do have some members who were only onboard for the short trip to Montevideo.
  11. I was also with the R IRISH party on the mighty BULWARK when she was diverted to Beirut.

It was a honour and my privilege to serve along side you and the ASRM.

Understand you are on your way home - sorry I cannot be alongside to meet and greet but I'm sure the crew will have other priorities than a chap from the R IRISH.

Welcome home shipmates.

12. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

TangoZeroAlpha: Many thanks for the words of from you and your colleagues on this and other media. I am the LREG on board and yes, we are home next week.

Obviously Beirut was a unique and unforgettable experience, but more so for you guys, who were only visiting for a jolly trip home from Barcelona!

The 'get up and go' attitude your guys showed was noticed by all on board; everyone was busy, but no one will forget the R IRISH contribution.

Once we are home please get in touch and we will endeavour to scupper a few Guinnesses in Devonport if you lot are able to pop over; and after Beirut you guys should be used to the desolate war-damaged location...

13. Be glad to see you's all safely back in Guzz , best sight in the world , Plymouth breakwater if your incoming , I used to love it , anyway lads and lasses well done all of you , have a well deserved leave and a few decent pints in your favourite watering holes , :lol: :lol:
  14. sgtpepperband

Dondon: Actually I'm a Pompey Rate - I got the pierhead jump with two weeks notice as part of the Emergency Relief Pool! - so actually the best sight in the world is Nab Tower... but having said that I will very pleased to see Smeaton Tower next week, and to put both sea legs on dry land again (even if it is in Guzz)!

And thanks for the compliments - I'm sure the lads and lasses (both Blue and Green) are glad to be going home too.
  15. Your more than welcome Matey , :lol: and I'm sure they are glad to be going home , a few sherbets in order i think ,
  16. Got you, remember it well. Fcuking loved that ship, and that trip.
  17. sgtpepperband

In case anyone is interested, Bulwark will be home today - alongside Guzz about 1130 this morning. CINCFLEET & COMATG on board on the way in... and i think there might be some press interest too!
  18. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

Perhaps you could stand under a large sign, then anyone from the site thats on the jetty would know who to wave too, it would advertise the site as well. :lol:
  19. That makes 3 of us on the happy H in 91 then. I seem to remember we had a few casualties around then from drinking game malfunctions. It was all during the month alongside at Ash Shuaba. You may remember the volleyball court on the jetty, and torching skips full of gash with the help of some avcat. As to the guy who went tanker surfing (NNNPD)he ended up going reggie in one of those poacher/gamekeeper scenarios.

20. Small world aint it , Ash Shuaba was a bit of a shit tip after Sadams boys had finished with it , can still see it , quite eerie at the time , it was Chippy Cheeseman that jumped on my back ,a very good drinking oppo of mine at the time , funnily enough he ended up with a couple of stitches after walking into one of my crutches , sorry its the middle of the night , I'm at work and it's a wee bit quiete and I'm beginning to digress again ,

Seen the Bulwark on the local news last night , good to see them back at last , can't believe it's 15 years since we were down there Clanky & Lingyai , where has the time gone , !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Clanky your balloon is still in the middle of Plymouth Sound [sorry , sad bastard what I am] :roll: :oops: