thanks/question!

daffy1

War Hero
A mate of mine a few years back joined as one of the lads and he was raised middle class. Parents were lectures at Oxford also he got his degree from Oxford. The point being if or when you join you will meet people from such a variety of backgrounds that you will have to keep a open mind.

I

In_my_day

alfred_the_great said:
Precisely. As were members of the Royal Marine Light Infantry and Royal Marine Artillery. I suggest Ziodberg speak to his Cpl, or nearest DL for remedial Corps History.....
But there are no RMLI or RMA in the Corps so really its just the pink piccolo players he's wrong about. :wink:

IMD

NZ_Bootneck

War Hero
That's a point since amalgamation of the RMLI and RMA took place in 1923 would there be any RMLI/RMA old hands still out there?
Last RM Infanteers not to go through Commando Training would have been Fleet Marines in the 50s(?), ready to be corrected on that of course by wiser heads.

I've met a RMLI Vet in the last 3 years. It was a wider point about Corps history, and the fact the Commando role is relatively new: nearly 300 years of being sea-soldiers and only 70(ish) years of commando-ing.

It does amuse me when nods/YOs (and not so nod-like RM Commandos) complain about being associated with the RN....

daffy1 said:
A mate of mine a few years back joined as one of the lads and he was raised middle class. Parents were lectures at Oxford also he got his degree from Oxford. The point being if or when you join you will meet people from such a variety of backgrounds that you will have to keep a open mind.

Strange as it may seem but the days of officers being middle class died out long ago. The reality though id that if you have the ability to be an officer then you are doing a diservice to your chosen service by not having a go.

I

In_my_day

alfred_the_great said:
I've met a RMLI Vet in the last 3 years.

I'd guess that these guys must be hitting the century around now (if 14 on amalgamation, were they classed as buglers/drummers at that age rather than RMLI?)

IMD

Latest Threads