Thank you to all

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by adrift, Sep 3, 2010.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I just registered to be able to thank all contributors for their wealth of knowledge (and humour!), that has helped my youngest's recent Royal Navy application.

The links provided by Ninja to various publications, we have found particularly useful. The interview threads have been printed out and stuck on every surface in the house! I'm very pleased, and very proud to say that all the selection process has been passed now, and it's a waiting game as they say. On the plus side, it means I get all the ironing, and handwashing done for the next 18 months - practice makes perfect as they say!

The training is sooo different from when I went through Raleigh. Not saying easier, or harder mind you - don't want to open THAT can of worms..

Anyway, sincere thanks and my advice to any others joining the forum would be to read, and read , and read again every thread in the newbie section. There's an awful lot you didn't even know you needed to know.

Best of luck to all the other baby sailors hoping to join soon.

2. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Always happy to be a hindrance.

Best of luck to your youngest - we only wish the waiting times were shorter.

A Ratings Preparation Course (formerly Royal Navy Acquaint Course) is heartily recommended if not already undertaken - it helps maintain interest, just ask the AFCO.

3. Have you found the right iron yet? :lol:

4. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

Did you find the answer to the right size grip to take to Raleigh?

5. Out of interest, when did you go through Raleigh?

6. I went through Raleigh in 1988, the era of dodgy perms & even dodgier music!. Oh dear, a lifetime ago.

7. Blackrat

Blackrat War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

I agree with Adrift but i really wish i knew the waiting times for various branches.

8. As well as the obvious need to know what size of grip to take, having established what the waiting time is, wouldn't it be great to know if you need to take an ironing board (to go with the correct iron).

In fact, having thought long and hard about it (>3 seconds), I reckon you'd need to know that first because it could influence your choice of grip size and/or whether or not the grip should have external straps for affixing said ironing board (if required).

I'm at it again :roll:
    [​IMG]

9. The subject of towels has been raised here at home, colour/size/thickness/ability to hide the muck etc, but we're hoping all the remaining answers will be covered in the coming months here on RR.... :wink:

10. I went through Raleigh in 88. My intake was Benbow 07. Yours??

11. I was in Danae division (Wrens). I remember coming home for Christmas break in the middle of training, so we must have been one of the last '88 intakes, and passed out in 1989. I would think Raleigh is completely transformed nowadays.

12. Well, Dauntless Squadron is no longer - it's now part of the Submarine School.

13. And re-named Dolphin block and haunted by an expired wren (allegedly)

14. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

The nice man at Pussers used to issue us two olive green towels for the use off. Bit small for sunbathing on the beach with but no self respecting German would move them if placed on a sun lounger. Failing that just nick one from a hotel.