THANK YOU SHOREHAM

Discussion in 'Royal Naval Reserve (RNR)' started by trehorn2, Mar 20, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Just a short dit, not intended to do anything other than say thanks to the lads and lasses on HMS SHOREHAM.

The sea training weekend in Faslane recently was first class. Despite the weather the crew were extremely helpful.

I know i keep on about this but anyone here who has not been on one should give it a try. The only way these weekends will stay available is if they are used. If the lads and lasses from CERES hadn't joined at the last minute then there would have been only 3 junior RNR ratings on board. We made the numbers up to 13.

Give it a go, get stuck in and get your hands dirty.

I honestly don't know about any other training weekends that are regularly available to GSSR. If anyone does, please let me know.

2. Trehorn,

Couldn't agree more with your thoughts on the sea weekends. While you Ceres lads & lasses were braving the high seas up near the north pole, down near the equator, just off the Isle of Wight, another sea weekend with a fishy taint was going on.
    A fantastic weekend with loads of relevant training for the GSSR branch. With the exception of these weekends, the only other training (excluding in-unit stuff) are the regional FP weekends. If the last weekend was anything to go by, the training was much better than the regional ones.We need more weekends like these.

3. I was at the weekend you were talking about and as Trehorn has done for the Shoreham I would like to congratulate the crew of the SEVERN and the organisation by the MW branch for what was a fantastic weekend. It was hard work from start to finish but the entustiastic nature of the crew and the usual get stuck in attitude of the RNR's added up to one of the best weekends training I have done in the last 15 years. A massive success and we didnt even get a run ashore....quite frankly I think we would have all been too knackered anyway!

Organisers of regional weekends should be taking a close look at this kind of event, quite frankly it was in another league to anything I have attended regionally!

4. GUTTED!!!

We tried to get on the weekend out of pompy and were told that it was cancelled.

The SHOREHAM was still well worth it though. Alas i think that they will be a thing of the past with the budget cuts next year.

The RN lads on board did mention that they had run RNR weekends before and felt that they were wasting their time as the weekends were generally attended by three or four JR's who didnt really get involved.

JUST REMEMBER - YOU DONT HAVE TO KNOW WHAT YOUR DOING, JUST SHOW A WILLINGNESS TO LEARN AND THE SHIPS COMPANY WILL APPRECIATE IT AND NOT THINK THEY'RE WASTING THEIR TIME!

5. I would be v v suprised that they only would get 3 or 4 JR's as any excuse to get to sea most of the lads jump at it as well as quite a few of us officers!!

Every MW weekend that i was on was always full esp from Scotland when day running from Faslane

6. Like i said in my initial post we were transfered to the Fas weekend becuase we were told that the pompy one was cancelled as quite short notice. If we hadnt swapped then there would have been 3 JR on board.

The same can be said for the pompy weekends. Generally we (CERES) make up 80 or 90% of the RNR JR attendance.