T'grph: Britain's Top Soldier Says Al-Qaeda Cannot Be Beaten

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by soleil, Nov 14, 2010.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Re: T'grph: Britain's Top Soldier Says Al-Qaeda Cannot Be Be

I'd say he has it about correct.

2. Re: T'grph: Britain's Top Soldier Says Al-Qaeda Cannot Be Be

I've been stating this for years.
    Bring thee boys (& girls) home now, we must not lose another life in this pointless war.

3. Re: T'grph: Britain's Top Soldier Says Al-Qaeda Cannot Be Be

I wonder if that's a Freudian slip? He's supposed to be our top Serviceman. CGS is supposed to be our "top Soldier".

4. Good of him to tell us something we already know.

5. It might not be the stereotypical view of war, he insists, in the sense of massed armies attempting to outmanoeuvre their opponents but it needs to be viewed in the same way. But this war – unlike those of the past – could last up to 30 years

Is this the Perpetual War that Orwell warned us about, I wonder?

6. A true visionary and I'm I'm not talking about CDS.

7. Re: T'grph: Britain's Top Soldier Says Al-Qaeda Cannot Be Be

Slim,
    I can only agree and echo your statement.
    This war was unneccessary,wrong and always was unwinnable.A lot of good people are getting hurt for no reasion other that the egos of politicians(who don't have to go where they can get shot on a daily basis).Surely the statesman like thing to do would be to get our people out of there ......NOW.Blow the Yanks and the "special relationship",the Yanks are only our allies when it suits their purpose....anybody remember Northern Ireland?Ammerican money kept that one going for years.

Sorry for the rant,but I can't abide seeing the waste of life and of our weath for in a pointless adventure.

8. Re: T'grph: Britain's Top Soldier Says Al-Qaeda Cannot Be Be

Article 5 of the North Atlantic Treaty was interpreted in a rather "interesting" way. Regrettably, the f**kwits running our show at the time said nothing but "yes". To paraphrase a former CGS, our fingers are now in the mangle. To quote Colin Powell, we broke it, we own it.

We are bloody stuck there until it is back to being as buggered as it was before we bombed it. We have placed a lot of natives on death lists. We cut and run now and every life lost so far will have been wasted.

Yes, we have to get out and it is unwinnable. We have to be sure, though, that it's capable of running itself without a blood bath in the vacuum we will leave behind.

It will be interesting (and disaster for anyone in blue) should Paddy kick off again. That said, maybe the Americans would teach us how to bomb s**t out of the Divis Flats and the Falls and Shankill Roads.

9. Re: T'grph: Britain's Top Soldier Says Al-Qaeda Cannot Be Be

Bomb the sh1t out of the shankhill road?? One of the most loyal roads in Great Britain PoL. You cant be serious!! :D :D Seriously though the CGS has just told it like it is. If my son or daughter were serving now it would kill me to think they are there, and for what.

10. The Russians told us that before we even thought about going in(allegedly) followed up with the wisdom 'If you do go in dont start a ground war with them'

11. And we'd done it in the 19th century, but somehow forgot the lessons of 'The great game'

12. Re: T'grph: Britain's Top Soldier Says Al-Qaeda Cannot Be Be

As always,we forget the lessions of history.
    No one EVER wins out there,no matter how and when we get out the place will revert to normal,lawless with constantly warring factions.We are never going to change that and to be honest I do not believe anyone can change the way the natives think and act by force.
    The madness must be stopped before more get hurt.This action is rapidly becoming our Vietnam.

13. Re: T'grph: Britain's Top Soldier Says Al-Qaeda Cannot Be Be

Indeed so but you may note that I was referring to lessons from America. Do they not seem to take the view of bomb the lot and let God sort them out?

14. Re: T'grph: Britain's Top Soldier Says Al-Qaeda Cannot Be Be

True. and they are not adverse to dropping one on us from time to time.

15. Re: T'grph: Britain's Top Soldier Says Al-Qaeda Cannot Be Be

Why not invite the Chinese to do their bit? They have the manpower to neutralise the area, they do not have the qualms to kowtow to the media, public opinion and liberals.

And before you say it would give them control of the oilfields - we are in hock to them up to the eyeballs anyway, and the middle East passed peak oil years ago.

And finally - how many beligererants have the Allies killed since 2001? I have not seen any figures for THEM, although lots for our losses. Perhaps it would upset some in this country?

pbs

16. Now I'm an old man I think I can speak with a little authority, I went down south in 82 what the fcuk for -we would have given the fcuking place to the Argies a year later but 235 brave men never came home.
    I did numerous Gulf deployments in the 80s and 90s and learnt that we do not have a fcuking clue about the arab/muslim phsychology and still don't. From my little seat in J2 Northwood I watched in horror at the terrible tragedy that was Bosnia on our own doorstep FFS and it wasn't until the yanks pitched in that we sorted the fcuking place out. I went to war again in 2003 and came back a different person (fcuked you might say). BUT I know that the war in Afghanistan is a fcuking clusterfcuk and no more parents and loved ones deserve to have the bodies of our guys coming home in bodybags, lets eat shit and get out now fcuk the poppies and the Taliban and lets have the fathers, mothers sons and daughters all home for Christmas. War really is scary and fcuking pants - honest

17. How long have we been saying that, it proves once again that UK governments do not represent the wishes of the majority of the people that they supposedly represent?

18. I concur.But can anyone tell me why only the politicians see any positives from our staying in Afghanistan?