T'graph: SDSR: 4 Future Scenarios & How They Might Play Out

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by soleil, Sep 14, 2010.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Seaweed

Seaweed War Hero Book Reviewer

'What comes after Putin?' is something I hope the top chaps are thinking about.

If, for whatever reason, the Russian economy goes sour, the prospects of it pulling the old dictator trick of blaming everything on an external enemy and becoming increasingly bellicose become very real.

2. Re: T'graph: SDSR: 4 Future Scenarios & How They Might Play

When I got to the bit about Astute's in the Baltic I thought then that these guys haven't got a clue. We win all these scenarios as well because the enemy can't shoot back eh?

The thing is, people believe all this shite. :?

3. jockpopeye

jockpopeye Badgeman Book Reviewer

Re: T'graph: SDSR: 4 Future Scenarios & How They Might Play

For anyone interested in thinking about future scenarios I would recomend two books:

The next 100 years, by George Friedman

7 Deadly Scenarios, by Andrew F Krepinevich

Nobody can predict the future but reading these will make you think about how it could pan out.

I would be most worried about Iran and China. Both have demographic problems, both have unsustainable economies and both control their populations through nationalism. When the demographic problems come home to roost and their economies go belly up they will probably instigate regional wars to compensate.

Who fancies a hot war East of Suez with a under developed RN featuring no carriers?