T'graph: "Royal Tournament To Be Revived After 11 Year Gap"

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by soleil, Jun 13, 2010.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Re: T'graph: "Royal Tournament To Be Revived After 11 Year G

About time too

2. Good drills by the ABF.

Those were the days, when good and honest bootnecks used allow members of the extensive gay scene round the corner to administer lewd acts upon their person for £10 a time - Beer's not cheap in London and where there's 'will' there's a way...

3. No Navy though :(

4. Blackrat

Blackrat War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Cracking idea. I was in the arena party in 1989 as a Junior Leader and spent five mad, happy weeks at the Royal Tournament. It was excellent. Speacial mention must go to the Devonport Gun crew who let us get shiters in their bar mosts evenings. Top lads.

5. Re: T'graph: "Royal Tournament To Be Revived After 11 Year G

It should never have ended.

Finale

If sunset and Land of Hope and Glory grabs you, you gotta watch, tissue at the ready.

6. Splendid news for a change. :)

7. Anyone know if the same 3 teams - "Pompey, Guz and Wafu's" - will be formed?

8. The article says 4 teams :? used to do it. Which confused me.

However it states there won't be any RAF or RN involved, however a Sea Cadet field gun run will be displayed

9. Re: T'graph: "Royal Tournament To Be Revived After 11 Year G

Will it be "Real Field Gun" or Brickwoods?

I know the Brickwoods format can be hard but it doesnt have the cache or spectacle of the real thing.

10. Chatham and Bootnecks 8O aloonnngg time ago

11. Re: T'graph: "Royal Tournament To Be Revived After 11 Year G

As it's sea cadets it's unlikely it will be the old skool field gun run :cry:

12. Re: T'graph: "Royal Tournament To Be Revived After 11 Year G

You wanna F'ing bet?

Check this lot out:

http://www.wellingtoncollege.org.uk/activities/field-gun

http://www.royaltournament.org/field gun wellington.htm

And just to get your appetite wet:

http://www.youtube.com/user/Fieldgun100

Make sure that you watch them in the right order, it often kicks in on The Run Home.

A bit more entertaining than Brickwoods. Remember that these 'kids' are 16-18 years old! Their run time according to the RT link in 2008 was 4:35.

13. Re: T'graph: "Royal Tournament To Be Revived After 11 Year G

Easy tiger.

I've only seen Sea Cadets doing the brickwoods version. So your links was new to me.

Also the article never stated it was Wellington.

Good on them I say.

I'd still rather see the full version though at RT but that's my personal opinion. Although I understand this will be very unlikely unless they reduce the number of teams some how to two requiring less man power than with 3 teams.

14. Re: T'graph: "Royal Tournament To Be Revived After 11 Year G

The lack of a smiley might have made that seem a bit harsh! It was meant in the jocular sense with a rising diphthong! :p

BTW, you need to get some glasses Tommo, or at least go to Spec Savers ( :D ):

I agree with you that I'd love to see the all out version of the Field Guns return with the original teams, but realistically in the current climate it just isn't going to happen. Likewise I would also prefer the Tournament to be Purple/Tri-Service (I suppose that we really do have to include the RAF) and run for longer than two days; but baby steps are the way to go rather than over stretching at the start!

The true options are Brickwoods or Wellington; and as the latter is at zero cost to the Armed Forces budget and more in keeping with the spirit of Earls Court, I think that they have done some decent joined up thinking.

It's often forgotten that the original closed for two reasons. The most often quoted one was resources, but in reality a large influence was the fact that it only broke even. In its original format the RT was three weeks long, and it was the third week that brought the profit in. Once chopped to two weeks in 1993 the writing was on the cards.

The headline details are details are as follows:

From ARRSE: http://www.arrse.co.uk/Forums/viewtopic/t=151303.html

They've been working at getting this sorted out for over two years, and I reckon that the team behind it deserve every bit of support that they can get!

15. Re: T'graph: "Royal Tournament To Be Revived After 11 Year G

MMMMMmmmmm impressed 8)

16. Re: T'graph: "Royal Tournament To Be Revived After 11 Year G

Doh

My apologises I missed that bit. As for the glasses, I do wear them and they're from spec savers :lol:

17. Errrmmmmm :oops:

I've just been corrected, to wit: these guys start their training at 13 years old!