T'graph: Royal Navy consigns tiffs to history after 141 yrs

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by soleil, Feb 12, 2010.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Re: T'graph: Royal Navy consigns tiffs to history after 141

Of course real tiffies were consigned to history some time ago, when tiff training ceased at HMS Caledonia.

2. Re: T'graph: Royal Navy consigns tiffs to history after 141

I only became a tiff when they decided to get rid of the mechanician's branch. When I started the course it was MQC (Mechs Qualifying Course) and when I finished it was ACC (Artificer Candidates Course).

Apprentices were on AAC (Artificer Apprentice Course, not Thingy)

3. It was called MEACC when I did it,one class behind us then became MEAQC.

4. Re: T'graph: Royal Navy consigns tiffs to history after 141

Same as me, we were the last of the Mechs to start as mechs, then changed to Tiffies at Deadloss in 1983.

5. Re: T'graph: Royal Navy consigns tiffs to history after 141

Sultan for me, should have been Collingrad but some bright spark (sic) thought up EBD :(

6. good...the horror of seeing some WE PO Tiff that has been in about 5 years and completely out of his depth...this will be no more

7. Re: T'graph: Royal Navy consigns tiffs to history after 141

If "Tiffs" are no more does that mean I no longer have to spit?

8. Re: T'graph: Royal Navy consigns tiffs to history after 141

Tiffs could tell you the cubic capacity of a jam jar!!!!! but were F****D when it came to taking the lid off :lol: :lol: :lol:

9. Re: T'graph: Royal Navy consigns tiffs to history after 141

Most tiffies were OK, some were little smart arses, BUT they soon wised up when put on a Sqdn for their pt 3, dealing with some older and bolder Mechanics.

10. Will they not simply become LET(ME)s as soon as they pass out? Or do they stay as LMEAs until POETQC?

11. Good Riddance!!! Once a mechanic always a mechanic!!! :D

12. Re: T'graph: Royal Navy consigns tiffs to history after 141

If it's the same as WE tiffs, which I imagine it is, then they are tiffs until rated PO at which time they become ET. Maintaining the preserved rights of promotion that they had as tiffs.

13. :roll: :roll: Mechanician/Artisan :lol: :lol: :lol:

14. :D :D :D PINKY Mechanic :D :D :D Cross dressed to AV :( :( :(

15. When they got rid of my branch, Bombhead, I gave up

16. Re: T'graph: Royal Navy consigns tiffs to history after 141

Thank you to Fisgard and Caledonia, now though-- rude words, I'm redundant !!!!,-- have been for years, anyone need Cavalier flashing up from cold.
    Still, I can carry on charging £60 an hour to restore Brough Superiors though, .Any one want to join the customer queue???, ,but you'll have to wait at least a year.

17. Seaweed

Seaweed War Hero Book Reviewer

Tiffie skills when they were let loose sometimes surprised me. In Maidstone I had to go and break it to the shipwrights that there was a hole in my boat. In the chippie workshop up on the housetops they were busy as bees, making a beautiful dining suite for one of their number who was getting married. The sheer excellence of the craftsmanship, executed in pusser's time with pusser's wood, was amazing.

18. Re: T'graph: Royal Navy consigns tiffs to history after 141

There was also a rumor I heard of a pussers stores muster, at Dolphin or nearby. Some of the missing copper sheet being "found" underwater on a chippys yacht