T'graph: Generals and Admirals to be culled in Defence cuts

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by soleil, Feb 3, 2010.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Re: T'graph: Generals and Admirals to be culled in Defence c

What is this, 'pick a defence policy a day' week?!

I thought the green paper was meant to be released yesterday.

2. The green paper is due to be released today at about lunch time.

IMHO we need to rethink our very top heavy structure within all 3 armed forces. We have 3 groups of very senior people, 1 for each of the armed forces but as stated in the article the number of 47 costs more than £6.8 million per year in just their salary. Take into account their pension of 49% when they leave and the problem multiplies vastly.
    We shouldthink about a higherarchy similiar to Canada where they have one head of the armed forces and then lower ranks in charge of each service.
    With the reduction of the armed forces for all 3 services, we can ill afford to maintain this current setup.

Just my opinion

3. Re: T'graph: Generals and Admirals to be culled in Defence c

I wonder if the 'gubberment' has thought of applying a similar policy to the NHS.... or the BBC...... or, dare I say it, ..... 'The Government' !

4. oow - killick of the fleet, sounds good.

5. Re: T'graph: Generals and Admirals to be culled in Defence c

Well, if you want to spend a few moments of your life you'll never get back reading this, here's the link to the Green Paper itself...

6. I was Fleet Bosun's Mate for years. :D

7. Re: T'graph: Generals and Admirals to be culled in Defence c

They tried this many years ago, back in the 70s IIRC.

They carried out a 'survey', and it appeared to be something like 4 Adms, 8 Capt, 16 Cdrs etc for each of the units in the fleet, and in those days the fleet was quite a size!
    In the end, I think they made more manpower cuts of the lower decks (FAA ?) more than of the wardroom.

8. Re: T'graph: Generals and Admirals to be culled in Defence c

Cut the BBC loose, ditch the Olympics (the Chinese can have it again for all I care) and stop funding every think tank and quango you can think of because some overpaid civil servant thought it would be a good idea to commission a 10 grand report on the commissioning of 10 grand reports ... oh yeah, cut the civil service down by size while you're at it.

£482 billion is the national expenditure predicted for this year...

£118 billion for the health service

£55 billion for the welfare state

and only £43 billion for defence.... find your cuts somewhere else assholes!

9. I bet Our Norman's dancing in the street !!!

10. Guns

Guns War Hero Moderator

Funny that I thought he would have been on now to tell us how the Lt Cdr's are too many etc.

11. Re: T'graph: Generals and Admirals to be culled in Defence c

I did worry a little when I started the thread that I might accidentally be summoning him up ........

12. Soleil, whatever you do, FFS don't polish any teapots or similar shaped objects - the words Norman and bottle are springing to mind !!!!!!

13. Re: T'graph: Generals and Admirals to be culled in Defence c

Who or what is this Norman you speak of?

14. Guns

Guns War Hero Moderator

<WAH Shield On> Norman, and his many alter egos, would often appear on these fine forums and bemoan - well everything. He would save most of his hatred for Lt Cdr, who he believed rode with the Four Horseman. I think he had a family member (female) who was .... err ..... well who knows.... by a Lt Cdr. He was convinced that the RN had too many Senior Officers and many other things. A troll of the finest standing and not missed. </WAH Shield Off>

15. Cheers, and don't worry, it wasn't a bite, I haven't been around these parts long.