T'graph: "French Carrier Set To Defend Britain Breaks Down"

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by soleil, Oct 31, 2010.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Re: T'graph: "French Carrier Set To Defend Britain Breaks Do

What's French for......'It came off in me hand, chief' 8O

2. Re: T'graph: "French Carrier Set To Defend Britain Breaks Do

It's "Il est sorti en moi la main, le chef

8)

3. Re: T'graph: "French Carrier Set To Defend Britain Breaks Do

Merci mon ami .... :wink:

4. Re: T'graph: "French Carrier Set To Defend Britain Breaks Do

I'm beginning to be a bit mystified by the Telegraph's story.

I had a look at the French Ministry of Defence's website earlier to work out what the current situation with the CDG is. I was surprised to see a statement released yesterday, saying that the ship left for a four month deployment this weekend.

http://www.defense.gouv.fr/marine/a...iement-pour-le-porte-avions-charles-de-gaulle

No need to get the dictionary off the shelf! It says:

"The aircraft carrier Charles de Gaulle left her home port of Toulon on 30 October 2010 to begin a four month deployment to the Mediterranean, the Red Sea, the Indian Ocean and the Gulf. This is familiar territory for the carrier; this will be her fifth deployment to this part of the world.

She had been due to leave a fortnight ago, but her departure was delayed so that engineers could deal with a safety valve which had been causing problems, as it was considered unwise for the ship to leave for such a long voyage without it being repaired. Thanks to the professionalism and strenuous efforts of the engineers on board, the repairs were done in just two weeks. This is only the second time in the ten years she has seen active service that the carrier has needed to return to port for technical reasons.

While she was being repaired in Toulon, the aircraft already embarked continued their preparations for the deployment at the Naval Air Stations at Hyeres and Landivisau and the airbase at Istres. The aircraft, 12 Super-Etendard, 10 Rafale and 2 Hawkeyes are due to rejoin the ship in the next few hours.

Since she was first fitted out in 2001, the Charles de Gaulle has completed the equivalent of 15 circuits of the globe and carried out 23,000 launches."

How strange.

5. Re: T'graph: "French Carrier Set To Defend Britain Breaks Do

D'accord. Très curieux.

P.S. What's the French for Soleil?

6. Re: T'graph: "French Carrier Set To Defend Britain Breaks Do

Come off it sunshine..... I'll tell the jokes ! :roll:

7. Re: T'graph: "French Carrier Set To Defend Britain Breaks Do

I must confess to having considerable admiration for the gentleman the Telegraph maintains is "the French carrier's captain", Hugues du Plessis d'Argentré.

How Commandant du Plessis d'Argentré manages to travel the world as CO of an aircraft carrier and still keep his job going as Head of PR for the French Navy at the Defence Ministry in Paris, I don't know.

:roll:

8. Re: T'graph: "French Carrier Set To Defend Britain Breaks Do

Charles du Plessis d'Argentre was a French catholic theologian and bishop in the 18th century.... according to wikipedia.

I just wish we could have a carrier skipper called Agincourt or Trafalgar....
    there again, I just wish we could have a carrier. :roll: