T'graph: "British Armed Forces: Army, Navy And RAF In Stats"

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by soleil, Sep 30, 2010.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Why are all rotary-wing assets listed on the RAF stats image? :?

2. Re: T'graph: "British Armed Forces: Army, Navy And RAF In St

The Navy stats list 1 S boat (de-commissioned) and no Astutes so I'm assuming these are a few months out of date but you have a good point there SPB.

3. Re: T'graph: "British Armed Forces: Army, Navy And RAF In St

:roll: Looks like the FAA Fixed and Rotary has gone to the RAF :lol: :lol: No mention of the Wafus :lol: The Fleet Air Arm is the Royal Navy's air force. It numbers some 6200 people, which is 11.5% of the total Royal Naval strength, operating about 200 combat aircraft and over 50 support/training aircraft. Its helicopters and fixed wing aircraft provide the Royal Navy with a multi-role airborne combat capability able to operate independently at short notice, in all environments, day and night, over the sea and land.

4. Re: T'graph: "British Armed Forces: Army, Navy And RAF In St

It's not just the RN's fixed and rotary wing assets that have been airbrushed out.

In fact, UK forces in Afghanistan number 9,500 (link) although these will be augmented by another 189 joining NATO's Headquarters Allied Rapid Reaction Corps (HQ ARRC) from January 2011 (link). Around 1,000 of these personnel are RN/RM (link) and around another 1,000 are RAF (link).

This brings the Army total in Afghanistan down to around 7,500 which shrinks even further when 3 Cdo Bde is deployed every other year.

5. Re: T'graph: "British Armed Forces: Army, Navy And RAF In St

Looks like the RAF is oversubscribed thats the first place to start swinging the axe after all the MoD non - jobs !

6. Title say British ARMED force, so why are the crabs even mentioned?

7. Re: T'graph: "British Armed Forces: Army, Navy And RAF In St

And the reason why the Royal Navy cannot easily cut costs is highlighted: Our ships are too big. I hope that the Queen Elizabeth class carriers and the T45 destroyers actually come into service, it would have been a horrific waste of public spending if any of these are scrapped. But then again, is the F-35 Joint Strike Fighter ever going to be ready to equip the Naval Air Squadrons?

I wonder if it might be a more worthwhile project to navalise the Eurofighter Typhoon and use them to replace the Fleet Air Arm's Harrier GR7s instead. The RAF don't exactly need the swing-role capability, do they?

8. Re: T'graph: "British Armed Forces: Army, Navy And RAF In St

Started that rumour ages ago on here!!

Know Typhoon a man who knows a plan!!! :D

9. Re: T'graph: "British Armed Forces: Army, Navy And RAF In St

Great minds must obviously think alike. I wonder if you also share the opinion that the Red Arrows should be disbanded to cut costs and maximise operational capability?

It can't really be argued that the Red Arrows are doing anything for RAF recruitment, because the RAF are over-subscribed with too many recruits trying to get through the door, the RAF have the pick of the bunch anyway. The aircraft aren't particularly 'classic' aircraft, although if the MOD were to auction them, I'm sure museums and private collecters would pay a fortune for just one in flying condition.

The pilot's could be returned to their original units for operational deployment. Therefore increasing the RAF's operational capabilities a bit more. Then it can be considered whether another squadron can make efficient use of RAF Scampton, or whether it might be more cost-effective to close the base entirely.

It would also mean an end to that blasted restricted airspace (hurrah! :D )

10. Re: T'graph: "British Armed Forces: Army, Navy And RAF In St

Bin the RAF Band, and civilianise the BBMF (Just like the RN Historic Flight did/had to!!!)

Get rid tof the RAF Regiment, can't see the difference in what the Army do?
    (Airfield protection my arse! I used to do it at Culdose with a stick, whats worse the Taliban or the Cornish Liberals?) :D

11. I agree with civilianising the Battle of Britain Memorial Flight. That will free up more operational pilots for actual operational deployment, and funding for the BBMF then becomes someone else's problem. However, the only concern I have there is that I feel it is important to keep the BBMF flying.

Another target for complete civilianisation is the RAF Museum at Cosford. Why is this being funded by the MOD?

I'd keep the RAF band, though, and the RAF Regiment. I know the RAF Regiment used to operate the FSC Rapier, but not sure exactly what they do now. Mostly Force Protection stuff, but they still have some sort of operational capability, so it should be retained.

12. Re: T'graph: "British Armed Forces: Army, Navy And RAF In St

I'm pretty sure that this just isn't true. We're certainly 3rd after Russia and the US. I think that the last round of cuts might have taken us behind Japan. Also - we've got shed load of subs, which naturally have a larger displacement than an equivalent frigate.

If anyone has any figures to counter this I'd quite like to see them.

13. Re: T'graph: "British Armed Forces: Army, Navy And RAF In St

China too has a larger Navy than ours I think you'll find, in excess of 60 boats for starters!

14. I thought the RAF regt comes under SFSG, or is that just certain elements?

15. Re: T'graph: "British Armed Forces: Army, Navy And RAF In St

The problem with these sources is that they are always less accurate as time goes on. But there is more evidence to support the Telegraph's claim:

Wikipedia Article

US Published Regional Overview and Contributions of Key Allies

16. Re: T'graph: "British Armed Forces: Army, Navy And RAF In St

we have a shed load of subs? what navy are you referring to? the RN has 6 trafalgar and 1 astute, of which generally only 1-2 are available for tasking on a day to day basis

17. Re: T'graph: "British Armed Forces: Army, Navy And RAF In St

v boats dont do the same job as ssn's, you dont send a v boat east of suez or down to the falklands do you? their role is completely different to the t and a boats.

18. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

NW12: But the feature in the OP refers to the quantity of respective Services' assets, rather than the role of the individual units. For example, Sea Kings are listed collectively, yet we all know that they conduct different jobs according to their fit. Nobody is disputing that Bombers are unique, but you did not refer to them in your previous post... :oops:

19. Re: T'graph: "British Armed Forces: Army, Navy And RAF In St

ok fair enough