Tests

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by sega20, Aug 26, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi everyone.

Im due to start Raleigh next month ( :D ) and was wondering if there is any kind of maths, english or aptitude tests. That kind of thing.
    Im not particulary worried about it, but it would be nice to do a little bit of revision before I go if need be.

If there is, what kind of things should I revise on and would it be to a GCSE standard or higher?

Unfortunatly I forgot to ask at my pre entry breif so any info would be great.

Cheers.

2. There is! ive done it on a RNAC! you need a certain level to pass out of training.

3. Having passed out of Raleigh 2 months ago I can tell you that you will sit 2 computer based tests.
    These are just to see what level your brain is operating at and it doesnt matter what level you get, it doesnt affect you passing out of training.
    You will sit one in maths and one in english.

My advise, do some brushing up, but the tests aren't difficult.

4. I got told, you need to beat some level to pass out, on the RNAC by a instructor. He said we can also keep the papper with the marks on so if we do worse at basic we can use the RNAC one. Just going by what the CPO said, when he told everyone.

5. I went on the RNAC too, alot of what they tell you is bullshit lol. You'll find that when you get to Raleigh.
    You dont need a certain level to pass out, they just test you on it. you will need a certain level in phase 2 for your key skills tho.
    Yes you can use the one from the RNAC course, but some people resit it anyway.
    I bet they told you to make sure that there are no dangly bits under your bed or it gets turned over everyday didnt they lol.

6. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

With the greatest of respect, one would very much doubt that the Royal Navy Acquaint Course/Ratings Preparation Course sets out to misinform as the purpose of the course is completely the opposite. Generally it's individuals on forums that think they know better that spout the bullshit, having been in the Navy for a relatively short period or having left the Navy a long time ago.

The basic skills test is a government requirement & is not a pass/fail test however there is a minimum literacy & numeracy level which all people in the Armed forces must reach - it isn't a hugely impressive standard to achieve however the test identifies those which need further tuition to bring them up to the national standard. It's nothing more, nothing less.

You are advised to simply do your best. If your best isn't good enough we'll teach you as part of your training when you join.

7. I don't know what you mean Ninja...... One of the numeracy questions was something like:

If the rubbish gets collected 2 days before Wednesday, what day will the rubbish be collected on?

What text books would you recommend to study for that type of question??? :study:

8. That's only useful if you can count to 2 though....... :nod: :D

9. Thanks for the advice everyone. Suppose id better crack open them revision books. :roll: :D :D

10. The RT tests are NOT hard. God help the RN if recruits find these tests to be nigh on impossible, they test your basic skills in literacy, numeracy and reasoning.

11. Yeah, some of the questions i had were like:

ENGLISH:

Correct this sentance below, and put right grammer and puntuation in.

we had good fun at the park and after we went all the way to the park to feed the ducks.

MATHS:

You go to the shop with £1, you buy a 58p sweet, How much change will you have?

12. Do they let you use a calculator? :wink:

13. You're... you're kidding right? Dear God im in trouble. :? :? :D

14. The test you take before your interview is, in my opinion, more challenging. If you managed to pass your SATS in year 9 then it shouldn't be a problem.

15. This is the basic skills test in training. The test has harder questions, its not all that simple, but most of it is. Like your not gonna get every question. To be honest lol, i have done this test three times so know it well (I think i do). Some of the harder questions in maths have a computer calculator you can use, i still got one wrong with the calculator, as i forgot how to do that pie thing.

The english questions also have a dictionary if you get stuck (Not).

16. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Methinks you've possibly gone off on a 'tangerine' on this one.

We're talking about the basic skills test in Phase One training, not the initial Recruiting Test at the start of the selection process.