Tests at Raleigh

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by Ric_09, Feb 18, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi guys, just a quick one.
    Im off to Raleigh on March 9th, going in as a diver. Now I know that divers are expected to keep up a really high level of fitness for aptitude week after Raleigh, and with no offence intended for anyone, the fitness tests that I can see us doing down at Raleigh will infact be "stepping down" from what I have already been doing. In any of your experience, do diver candidates get some more time down there for PT (i know this means we may have less time at the end of the day to wash/clean/polish et al) to keep up with diver physical fitness?

Anything will be great, and once again, no offence to any of the other guys/girls doing other trades!

2. Don't go to Raleigh with that mindset. Military fitness is not the same as civvy fitness. The PTIs will break you, then build you. And as you say, you will also have a lot more going on, like admin and lessons etc.. Go with a beginners mind, and expect the unexpected. If all the work you've put in helps you, great. Good luck.
  3. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

You are entirely correct that the fitness standard for divers is over and above that for regular RN entry, and to that end you will be in a class with other phase one divers.

Your PJFT time of 10 mins 45 secs will need to be maintained as a road run (rather than treadmill) in week one & the fact that you have already completed a 1km open water swim on PEDA will be taken into account during the gym & pool sessions.

Provision will be made for potential Divers to undergo additional fitness training sessions and for you to to visit the gymnasium, pool & fitness suite during the evenings during phase one training to maintain the tempo required to undergo the rigours of phase two diver training immediately after phase one basic training.

You need to bear in mind that even though you have passed PEDA, you still need to pass diving aptitude after phase one & it is possible to fail this if you do not maintain & improve upon your base level of fitness throughout .

Good luck!
  4. I totally agree with the above, if you go in with the attitude as the above regarding fitness, the PTI's will eat you alive, make an example of you and won't let you forget it.

Military fitness is a lot different to Civvy fitness, they work on both aspects each week, stamina and fitness.

Good luck though and keep up the good work xx
  5. HAHA maybe back in the day. I know when i went to raleigh it was a step down in fitness and i wasnt traing as a diver
  6. I believe Im going in with the right attitude, of course I'll be giving 100%, I need to, to maintain the level of fitness that will get me through aptitude week, straight after Raleigh. Cheers for the answers guys, Ninja, great help again!
  7. Ric I don't think you'll be stepping down at raleigh. Others will just be improving their fitness.
    I agree with the above Go with a beginners mind, and expect the unexpected. If you have a good fitness its just going to make it alot easier for you.

Good luck :thumright: :thumright:
  8. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

It's important for any Diver joining Raleigh to accept that the basic level of fitness required to pass phase one at HMS Raleigh is insufficient to successfully complete Diver aptitude & Phase Two training immediately upon completion of phase one.

To that end ALL Divers, as has been alluded, must do additional fitness training, over and above the basic level in order to pass phase two training. The difficult bit, is that you have to do this of your own volition & make time to ensure you do it because if you don't, you will not pass Diver training.
  9. HI Mate,

Just finished phase one passed out on Friday and I was thinking the same thing as you when I joined. The big thing you will have to deal with is fatigue. You may well perform really well on a spot on diet with a good nights sleep but when you haven’t had a good nights sleep for 4 weeks and not the best food plus the added stress of working flat out from 5.45 to 22.30 you will start to understand the training is just as much about the mental stamina required as the fitness.

I’m not trying to put you off just trying to give you an idea of what the challenges will be.

Thx Stu
  10. When I first saw the PJFT run times and sit up press up ammounts I was also a bit like "Easy or what" But I think its all about pushing yourself and getting the best possible not just the pass mark. And the whole fatigue thing is good to consider.