Test

CheekyMrT

Badgeman
I know the minimum pass mark to get through the test is 50% I was just wondering if anyone had any idea what would be considered a good result? or rather what would not be acceptable if the chosen direction was engineering?

I sat the test when I was younger and achieved higher than average. I've done a couple of practice tests now and pulling in mid to low 20's.

I know i need to get the best possible score i can. I am just trying to work out if i will realistically be able to achieve a high enough score or rather so i know how many questions i can take a punt on or skip so i can perhaps answer other questions down the line.

crash_evans

War Hero
It doesn't matter what score you need as the marks are not on show during the RT. Just do you very best and you will get a score. If you don't get what you want - go back and do it again another time.

CheekyMrT

Badgeman
It doesn't matter what score you need as the marks are not on show during the RT. Just do you very best and you will get a score. If you don't get what you want - go back and do it again another time.

I was thinking from a strategic point of view. if i know i can get 4 wrong/guess. then it will give me a better chance of gauging the risk factor of spending extra time on a difficult question.

It will also help me establish the sort of conversation i have with the recruiting officer. by having a better idea what role i am going in for. I don't want to look unprepared or indecisive.

crash_evans

War Hero
I was thinking from a strategic point of view. if i know i can get 4 wrong/guess. then it will give me a better chance of gauging the risk factor of spending extra time on a difficult question.

You're overthinking it! Practice and do your best. Don't start thinking about strategy!

It will also help me establish the sort of conversation i have with the recruiting officer. by having a better idea what role i am going in for. I don't want to look unprepared or indecisive.

Have a top three branches in mind and they will counsel you afterwards and give you your options. At this point start doing your homework before your interview.

Just my opinion. YMMV.

SaladDodger

Lantern Swinger
@CheekyMrT

May sound daft but exercise your brain, get used to completing tests quickly and accurately, an easy rule to follow is RTFQ (Read The Fu**ing Question), people flap and panic, practice thoroughly and you'll be fine

Apart from the practice tests on the RN website do the GCSE Maths & English tests on BBC website, also the Civil Service website & DVLA recruitment have similar practice tests plus do things like Sudoku, I passed the tests in 1987 and have helped a few people (who passed) in the years since. All 4 RN tests on the link below.

CheekyMrT

Badgeman
@CheekyMrT

May sound daft but exercise your brain, get used to completing tests quickly and accurately, an easy rule to follow is RTFQ (Read The Fu**ing Question), people flap and panic, practice thoroughly and you'll be fine

Apart from the practice tests on the RN website do the GCSE Maths & English tests on BBC website, also the Civil Service website & DVLA recruitment have similar practice tests plus do things like Sudoku, I passed the tests in 1987 and have helped a few people (who passed) in the years since. All 4 RN tests on the link below.

Thanks for the advice. I'll look into those links and webpages. I totally agree with practicing which is why I Screenshot_20190701-162403_Amazon Kindle.jpgbought a book which I thought was a bit steep at a tenner but has two sample test. I'm relatively happy I'll pass with minimum Mark's. Maths being the worst so I think that's where I'll be focusing most of my time but honestly I doubt my head I'll be able to process the answer quick enough for 20 seconds. Otherwise all other areas easily 20+.

I've got a week to keep practicing

redmonkey

War Hero
Book Reviewer
Have some confidence in yourself.
If you go in saying that you cannot do something you will prove that to be correct.

Go in there saying that you can do it.

Keep practicing.

Good luck.

CheekyMrT

Badgeman
Have some confidence in yourself.
If you go in saying that you cannot do something you will prove that to be correct.

Go in there saying that you can do it.

Keep practicing.

Good luck.

I completely understand what you mean. I have no doubt I WILL pass the test. My doubt is whether my score will be high enough for a better role. I based this on my last 35 years of knowing my strengths and weaknesses.

But indeed I will be practicing to strengthen those weaknesses.