Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Test case against MOD by TA Reservist

I despise compensation culture from scrounging scumbags but this man has a case. You could argue that he volunteered but suitable compensation should be forthcoming for medical bills etc.
How do you stand when you volunteer to go to war and want to be compensated when you get fcuked up? Not sure.

BeerBad

Lantern Swinger
I thought the rule was no discharge from service unless medically fit. Mate of mine spent an extra month mobilised because of a knee injury.

BeerBad said:
I thought the rule was no discharge from service unless medically fit. Mate of mine spent an extra month mobilised because of a knee injury.
Good point, well presented, forgot about that one.
Anyone??? Medics???

SILVER_FOX

War Hero
That rule doesn't really apply indefinitely. In some cases they reach a point where they can do nothing else and discharge knowing that the injury remains.

Strictly speaking the MOD is obligated to pay reservists the difference between standard pay at their rank and what they would earn in civvy street. In this case that's a hell of a lot by the looks of it. Generally the level of pension should be higher to reflect this.

If proven against the MOD (re being abandoned and having to pay for his own medical treatment), then this is bloody worrying indeed and I hope they have to pay out big time and that someone is called to account for it.

SF

Brains

Lantern Swinger
An interesting one - if he was full time, presumably he would have got a war pension or whatever it is called these days which would have covered his loss of earnings, albeit on a lower salary! I do sympathise with this chap - despite the flack reservists inevitably come in for as 'part-timers' the reserves exist because they are a cheap option for the MoD. I remember a figure of 1/7th the cost of a full-time equivalent being waved around some time back. If the MoD chooses to try to save money in this way, they are sometimes going to have to front up when things go wrong. I don't buy "he knew what he was signing up for" arguments. We all know/knew, but we still expect support, and why should he risk losing his home and his no-doubt hard-earned lifestyle because he was one of the good ones prepared to give something back?
I'm not saying the MoD shold fork out whenever a reservist says they'd have got more money in civvie street, but I do believe a duty of care exists. Could we really function without reservists these days? If they don't believe they and their families will be looked after if they are hurt or killed while serving then they're not going to stick around are they?
It's a tough one to call, and obviously the sort of issue that can only be dealt with on a case-by-case basis, but as we use reservists more now that we have for many decades, I doubt this will be the last of these that we see.

SILVER_FOX

War Hero
Brains - now that is interesting. Of course he will probably end up with a much higher payment and pension than the average service person who experiences similar or, God forbid, worse circumstances and all because he was worth more in civvy street.

By doing this they will effectively be saying exactly that. Fair? No way. I wouldn't begrudge our Strawberry friend under these circumstances but I do feel that our guys deserve much better all round.

We seem to be one of the few western countries who don't go to greater lengths for our service people, Shame on our leaders and the penny pinching greys in the MOD.

SF

Think if the MOD get away with this -------abandoned at Hospital and then no bed available ------ then no compensation etc etc.

The reserve lists will be getting a bit thinned out -----------what an outfit we need you to be in a danger zone--if you get mashed you won't get looked after cos your a civvy .

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
MoD_RSS NHS Test and Trace meets new year surge in demand with faster turnaround times MoD News 0
MoD_RSS NHS Test and Trace reaches one million people over new year, as record numbers test positive MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Statement from Chief Medical Adviser for NHS Test and Trace, Susan Hopkins on community testing MoD News 0
MoD_RSS NHS Test and Trace told a record number of people to self-isolate over Christmas week MoD News 0
MoD_RSS NHS Test and Trace reaches record number of people as demand increases significantly MoD News 0
A British Nuclear Test veteran still holding HMG to task History 41
MoD_RSS NHS Test and Trace winter performance holds steady MoD News 0
MoD_RSS MHRA issues exceptional use authorisation for NHS Test and Trace COVID-19 Self-Test device MoD News 0
S Fitness test booked but now into lockdown Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 14
C What happens if you fail the swim test Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 26
MoD_RSS New sites to test how connecting people with nature can improve mental health MoD News 0
MoD_RSS New satellite propulsion test facility to propel UK into new space age MoD News 0
MoD_RSS CBBC doctors join NHS Test and Trace in fight against coronavirus MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Government publishes list of approved COVID-19 test providers MoD News 0
MoD_RSS NHS Test and Trace reaching more than 92% of contacts MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Test facility speeds progress MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Test to Release for International Travel goes live MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Business as usual for NHS Test and Trace over Christmas MoD News 0
MoD_RSS NHS Test and Trace continues to improve as contacts reached exceeds 85% MoD News 0
MoD_RSS New NHS Test and Trace plan to support return to more normal way of life MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Live test of EU exit contingency plans on M20 in Kent MoD News 0
MoD_RSS More than one million cases reached by NHS Test and Trace MoD News 0
T Psychometric test simple question Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 5
MoD_RSS Clinical evaluation confirms accuracy of LAMP test MoD News 0
MoD_RSS NHS Test and Trace continues to improve MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Test to Release: England introduces testing strategy for international arrivals MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Sellafield’s COVID-19 test centre to expand MoD News 0
MoD_RSS NHS Test and Trace processes more tests and contacts more positive cases MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Royal Mail to collect COVID-19 test kits 7 days a week MoD News 0
MoD_RSS More than 2 million people reached by NHS Test and Trace MoD News 0
MoD_RSS NHS Test and Trace hits record testing capacity as over 10 million people tested at least once MoD News 0
MoD_RSS 500,000 daily testing capacity reached in ongoing drive to boost test and trace MoD News 0
MoD_RSS NHS Test and Trace managing record number of cases MoD News 0
MoD_RSS NHS Test and Trace statistics for 8 October to 14 October MoD News 0
MoD_RSS NIBSC selected by CEPI to test coronavirus vaccines globally MoD News 0
MoD_RSS NHS Test and Trace statistics for 1 October to 7 October MoD News 0
MoD_RSS 500 test sites now open as new lab partnerships boost capacity MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Government invests in UK-developed antibody tests from UK Rapid Test Consortium MoD News 0
P Sit up/ press up test Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 20
T Changing Role after fitness test Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 8
MoD_RSS Guidance to parents and guardians: when you should book a coronavirus test for your child MoD News 0
MoD_RSS New Lighthouse Labs to boost NHS Test and Trace capacity MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Theory test changes: 28 September 2020 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS NHS Test and Trace statistics for 27 August to 2 September released MoD News 0
MoD_RSS New Lighthouse Lab to boost NHS Test and Trace capacity MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Letter from PHE and NHS Test and Trace to school and college leaders MoD News 0
MoD_RSS £500 million funding for quick result COVID-19 test trials MoD News 0
MoD_RSS NHS Test and Trace successfully reaches almost 300,000 people MoD News 0
D British Nuclear Test Veterans The Gash Barge 16
MoD_RSS New guidance for British Nuclear Test Veterans MoD News 4