Terror suspects' spouses can claim benefits

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by Gombear, Apr 29, 2010.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. All aboard the outrage bus please.

From the BBC News website:

Terror suspects' spouses can claim benefits, says EU

A European court has ruled that the spouses of suspected terrorists can claim social security, though the funds of the suspects themselves are frozen.

The case was brought by the UK's House of Lords when spouses appealed against a Treasury decision to restrict funds.

The European Court of Justice ruled on Thursday that any social aid was unlikely to fund terrorist activities.

It said paying benefits to suspects' families "does not compromise" the practice of freezing suspects' assets.

Treasury officials initially argued that benefits including income support, disability, living allowance, and child, housing and council tax benefits could be made indirectly available to terror suspects themselves.

It decided to limit benefits to £10 per family member, requiring recipients to file accounts to the Treasury each month and warning that any funds made available to terror suspects was a criminal offence.

'Essential needs'

In its ruling on Thursday, the European Court of Justice said that "the interpretation used by the Treasury... is not based on any danger whatsoever that the funds in question may be diverted in order to support terrorist activities".

The ruling conceded that "the funds in question are in fact used by the spouses concerned to meet the essential needs of the households to which the persons included in the list belong".

It added that "it is hard to imagine how those funds could be turned into means that could be used to support terrorist activities, for the benefits are fixed at a level intended to meet only the strictly vital needs of the persons concerned".
  2. Blackrat

Blackrat War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

In fairness mate, it does say "Suspected". Once it's confirmed they are terrorists, what then i wonder?
  3. As BR says. I assume if found guilty and they go over the wall the family (if UK residents) are entitled to benefits the same as any other crims family)

Don't think I'll jump on the bus just yet.
  4. Damn! If no body is going to get apoplectic, I’m orf to lunch. :lol:
  5. Blackrat

Sorry mucker. The bus is in workshops as it's knackered at the moment through overuse. :D
  6. I trust you chaps have filled in the VOR docs and demanded all necessary stores?
  7. Blackrat

Stores are for storing POL. We haven't a hope.