temporary medicaly unfit - how long should it take

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by unexpectedapplicant, Oct 19, 2015.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

Tags:
  1. hello there everyone
    I know this has probably been asked on many occasions however.
    I am currently in the process of joining as an MCD and have hit a stalling block/ administration constipation of now over 5 months
    by being labelled as temporally medically unfit for a concussion I had nearly 7 years ago. I had my medical (second as the first was apparently not carried out properly) back in March and I am still waiting for a response. each time I call my AFCO to enquire I am told ' we will call you when it comes through'' Am I being fobbed of or is it usual for it to really take this long. is it better to sit and twiddle my thumbs or will bugging them till it happens be the solution. on the plus side it is longer for me to keep training for! but it would be nice for some movement to happen soon.
    thanks every and be nice its my first time on here

2. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

It is likely your case has been forwarded to the Diving Medicine Doctors at the Institute of Naval Medicine for review.

I doubt it is of any consolation, but candidates in my AFCO have been waiting a comparable time for a Pulmonary Lung Function Test appointment and my guess is that those serving are processed before those yet to apply.

The frustration is appreciated, but much the same as NHS consultants, there are often waiting lists for medical review.

You could try writing a short, polite letter to your AFCO requesting your letter is forwarded to the Royal Navy Medical Manager for an estimated timespan for your case to be reviewed. If nothing else, it will hopefully highlight that there is a backlog that requires the provision of manpower in order to clear.

3. thanks Ninja sir very helpful response - guess its twiddle the thumbs and keep running and training then more chance to prepare cant hurt. - always look on the bright side I guess

4. I am having a second medical tomorrow, will I be doing the complete medical again?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Can't remember from last time but am I supposed to avoid red meats before my medical?

6. Ninja_Stoker

New one on me.

Does it say that in the appointment letter ? If so, does it mention not to step on the cracks between paving slabs?

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  7. It doesn't, might have been dreaming that but wanted to make sure.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Ninja_Stoker

You maybe thinking about avoiding energy drinks, caffeine, beta blockers! (I kid you not) and protein shakes.

The pavement one wasn't pukka gen.

9. Yeah I was thinking of the protein shakes as well. Thanks for that anyway. The surgery hadn't give enough information, that's why I'm having to do another medical, do you think I will have a complete medical again? Even though the last one was ok?

10. Ninja_Stoker

Generally a re-med is just to resolve the bits that were incomplete last time however I'd still advise you to follow the original medical appointment letter just in case there are any other bits & bobs missed from the previous appointment.

11. Ok thank you

12. I've been deemed permanently medically unfit, I am gutted! I have failed due to a condition in my right eye (Browns syndrome). With being a right eye means it is a fail. I presume that would be the case for all the armed forces?

13. Ninja_Stoker

Sorry to hear of your circumstances. Not good.

The medical standards for all three services are broadly similar but specific eyesight prescriptions do differ slightly - whether tis applies in your circumstances can only be advised by the relevant service.

Best of luck in all you aspire to achieve.