temporary medicaly unfit - how long should it take

hello there everyone
I know this has probably been asked on many occasions however.
I am currently in the process of joining as an MCD and have hit a stalling block/ administration constipation of now over 5 months
by being labelled as temporally medically unfit for a concussion I had nearly 7 years ago. I had my medical (second as the first was apparently not carried out properly) back in March and I am still waiting for a response. each time I call my AFCO to enquire I am told ' we will call you when it comes through'' Am I being fobbed of or is it usual for it to really take this long. is it better to sit and twiddle my thumbs or will bugging them till it happens be the solution. on the plus side it is longer for me to keep training for! but it would be nice for some movement to happen soon.
thanks every and be nice its my first time on here

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
It is likely your case has been forwarded to the Diving Medicine Doctors at the Institute of Naval Medicine for review.

I doubt it is of any consolation, but candidates in my AFCO have been waiting a comparable time for a Pulmonary Lung Function Test appointment and my guess is that those serving are processed before those yet to apply.

The frustration is appreciated, but much the same as NHS consultants, there are often waiting lists for medical review.

You could try writing a short, polite letter to your AFCO requesting your letter is forwarded to the Royal Navy Medical Manager for an estimated timespan for your case to be reviewed. If nothing else, it will hopefully highlight that there is a backlog that requires the provision of manpower in order to clear.

thanks Ninja sir very helpful response - guess its twiddle the thumbs and keep running and training then more chance to prepare cant hurt. - always look on the bright side I guess

Wxm123

Midshipman
I am having a second medical tomorrow, will I be doing the complete medical again?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wxm123

Midshipman
Can't remember from last time but am I supposed to avoid red meats before my medical?

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
You maybe thinking about avoiding energy drinks, caffeine, beta blockers! (I kid you not) and protein shakes.

The pavement one wasn't pukka gen.

Wxm123

Midshipman
Yeah I was thinking of the protein shakes as well. Thanks for that anyway. The surgery hadn't give enough information, that's why I'm having to do another medical, do you think I will have a complete medical again? Even though the last one was ok?

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
Generally a re-med is just to resolve the bits that were incomplete last time however I'd still advise you to follow the original medical appointment letter just in case there are any other bits & bobs missed from the previous appointment.

Wxm123

Midshipman
I've been deemed permanently medically unfit, I am gutted! I have failed due to a condition in my right eye (Browns syndrome). With being a right eye means it is a fail. I presume that would be the case for all the armed forces?

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
Sorry to hear of your circumstances. Not good.

The medical standards for all three services are broadly similar but specific eyesight prescriptions do differ slightly - whether tis applies in your circumstances can only be advised by the relevant service.

Best of luck in all you aspire to achieve.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
K Temporary NSRT Replacement Matrix Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 16
MoD_RSS UKEF guidance for creditors on temporary suspension of debt service repayments MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Covid-19: Temporary changes to the Statutory Residence Test MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Extemporaneous products: temporary change of supply MoD News 0
MoD_RSS HM Treasury and Bank of England announce temporary extension of the Ways and Means facility MoD News 0
MoD_RSS SQP retailer premises: temporary change of premises MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Veterinary surgeons: temporary changes to the retail supply of veterinary medicines MoD News 0
MoD_RSS COVID-19: Temporary changes to Subject Access Request guidelines MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Veterinary practice premises: temporary change of premises MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Coronavirus - Temporary changes to how we process fishing vessel licence applicatons MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Temporary changes to right to rent and right to work checks MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Hallmarking arrangements during temporary closure of Assay Offices MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Temporary release of Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe: Foreign Secretary statement MoD News 0
MoD_RSS ACMD advice: future use and purpose of Temporary Class Drug Orders MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Temporary tariff regime updated MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Salisbury chosen to test temporary flood barriers MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Temporary closure of Croydon Magistrates’ Court from September 2019 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Temporary tariff regime for no deal Brexit published MoD News 0
Devonjock Medical Discharge (Temporary) from Raleigh Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 11
Maxpowers Medical Apeal,Temporary Unfit Joining the Royal Navy 9
MoD_RSS Statement to Parliament: Temporary suspension of operations at the British Embassy in Sana'a MoD News 0
soleil Temporary Royal Navy Careers Website Up And Running Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
M Long shot - Temporary Lt (Sp) H Foy History 0
S Getting a temporary attachmenbt to 40/42/45.. RMR 25
N Help! Declared P8/Medically unfit Joining the Royal Navy 4
B Perminant Unfit via medical appeal Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 12
S CP5 unfit for service Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 6
A Medically Unfit decsion from Capita Joining the Royal Navy 2
B Permantly Medically Unfit Joining the Royal Navy 3
H Temporarily Medically Unfit - Advice Please! Joining the Royal Navy 8
Horus40k Medically unfit at discharge but no MBOS - what to do Health & Fitness 2
M Declared medically unfit due to hernia operation 13 years ago!! Joining the Royal Navy 9
Foxbar Temporarily Medically Unfit Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 9
J Temporarily Medically Unfit. Help! Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 15
R Temporarily Medical unfit Health & Fitness 6
H Prescription med's and medically unfit! Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 0
T Pre- employment questionnaire -Medically unfit Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
N Temporarily Medically Unfit Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
J Perminatly medically unfit Health & Fitness 8
Turtle RN Temporarily unfit? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 14
Bondy93 Bad News! (Medically unfit for Aircrewman) Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 5
Bunhead Temporarily Medically Unfit - What do I do now? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 11
M Medically Unfit Health & Fitness 2
H Permanently Medically Unfit Health & Fitness 14
B Temporarily medically unfit Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 15
S Fat troops unfit for Afghanistan Current Affairs 4
R A land unfit for heroes Current Affairs 60