Temporarily Medically Unfit

I recently got declared temporarily medically unfit by Capita (delightful folk...). It was due to a diagnosis of depression by a GP almost two years ago now I believe, can't remember the exact date.

Never took medication, counselling, psychiatric treatment and have no recurring symptoms. In retrospect, I largely put it down to particular stresses at the time, and that I wasn't taking much time for myself. I've adapted since then, got used to the heavier work/study load and get out the flat more often. :D

Is this likely to cause a barrier to entry? :rolleyes:

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
I recently got declared temporarily medically unfit by Capita (delightful folk...). It was due to a diagnosis of depression by a GP almost two years ago now I believe, can't remember the exact date.

Never took medication, counselling, psychiatric treatment and have no recurring symptoms. In retrospect, I largely put it down to particular stresses at the time, and that I wasn't taking much time for myself. I've adapted since then, got used to the heavier work/study load and get out the flat more often. :D

Is this likely to cause a barrier to entry? :rolleyes:
Generally it depends on the history, symptoms, treatment and duration.

Usually it's either two or three years free from symptoms and/or treatment depending on duration of the illness.

Best of luck.

I recently got declared temporarily medically unfit by Capita. Could I please ask if its normal practice to receive a email from them saying. "A review of your medical notes has been booked for you. Please see details below:" Before having a physical examination. Is this just another step in the drawn out process of joining the RN. I was made TMU for having my appendix out without any complications.

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
Yep, standard procedure. They will want to confirm the dates, diagnosis,procedure undertaken, treatment, recovery and to ensure at least twelve months have elapsed since surgery without any recurrence or further issues. Perfectly normal, bloody frustrating.

I recently got declared temporarily medically unfit by Capita. Could I please ask if its normal practice to receive a email from them saying. "A review of your medical notes has been booked for you. Please see details below:" Before having a physical examination. Is this just another step in the drawn out process of joining the RN. I was made TMU for having my appendix out without any complications.
The call you get is what's known as the Triage call. The idea being to chat about any issues before your time and theirs is wasted going for the physical examination.

Many thanks for the reply Ninja-Stoker. My father was in the RN for 20 years. He asked me was I sure about there being a shortage of engineers in the RN. Perhaps they should review their medical procedures? Thanks for the reassurance.

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
The medical standards are pretty erm, standard to be honest. We don't adjust the standard to increase numbers in shortage categories.

Engineering-wise, we're short of Accelerated Apprentices, ET(MESM)s & WEOs, the rest we're doing OK for at present.

Just as a follow-up for anyone going through a similar thing, I given the go-ahead to proceed with my application.

The go-ahead was on four grounds: the diagnosis was of a single incidence over two years ago, there was an 'event' that caused it, I didn't require medication and there was some evidence that it was an incorrect diagnosis in the first place.

Moral of the story, if in doubt about applying, go for it - they can only say no!